CaptMike 04-May-17
Live2hunt 04-May-17
Tweed 04-May-17
Screwball 06-May-17
Pete-pec 06-May-17
CaptMike 07-May-17
Bloodtrail 07-May-17
30-Apr-17
Simply ignore their every word. Don't bite! It's such a simple formula, but if you really want to watch a person squirm, ignore them completely, and soon they must leave. Why do so many of you get in conversations with them? They are obviously very very lonely people wishing for any attention at all, and because of that, they seek negative attention. It makes these people feel like they have merit, even though their parents ignored them as adolescents. Prove them wrong, and please try and avoid everything they have to say as if you cannot see their posts, read their words, or take their bait.

I know many of you have learned to stay out of the conversations, and I commend you, but there are just enough of you giving them that needed internet hug to keep them coming back for more. Yes, they are pitiful little people, but you must understand the psychology behind it. They adore when they rile you. If you simply acted as if they did not exist, they will go out of their minds.

Of course they will reply to this with some statement as if I'm not talking about them. I will ignore them like I always do, and you should start right here. Don't give the weirdos the time of the day. Let those multiple personalities have conversations with themselves. We can have fun watching it, instead of them having fun being part of it.

Please try your hardest. Let's make this state forum popular for other reasons, other than being known for having some crazy people. Of course we won't agree on everything, but 99% of us can have a civilized discussion without it getting all muddied up with the interjections from the nimwits that spoil the party.

30-Apr-17
Pete-pec, X 2. Right on!

We all can have our own opinion and a discussion. And we may disagree. But as long as we keep it civil and respectful we can have meaningful interaction. Then who knows, we just might learn something from the "other" guy.

Like I said, Pete-pec X2.

30-Apr-17
Pete-pec..casekiska.... I will give it a shot. I just hate inter net tuff guys.

30-Apr-17
cassekiska by the way .... How is your shoulder doing??? Pete-pec did you get your turkey yet????

30-Apr-17
I did, but I did it the easy way. In the blind, and with the gun. I still love the sport either way, and really just love the interaction with friends and family, and those crazy birds.

Well done by the way.....you're catching on fast!

30-Apr-17
I had the first season. First day passed on a jake...at noon went and planted 20 apple trees... That evening hit a deer with a truck. Had to rent a car in Wausau for 4 days....had a few toms come in but could not get the job done. I make a lot of movement when I draw my bow. Went out last day with gun and only saw hens..... Will be going up with my grandson for 4th season.... can't wait....

30-Apr-17
All I ask for is that my phone doesn't ring. I've had a spell of rotten family stuff with my Father's death, a family friend who lost to cancer at 13 years of age, my son being hospitalized for a month with IV antibiotics, and getting out to have a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). So for me, some time to veg out was just what I needed. Honestly, I was so tired from mental exhaustion that I remember gobbling at a couple far off toms, fell asleep only to have two of them making love to my DSD hen when I woke up. I could have shot them with the bow, but time was something I was short of, and I needed to feel the trigger pull lol. I wish I had had my bow with me, but I'm happy to have scored in that terrible weather I had the second season.

Best of luck with the grandson. Hunting with kids and newbies is the best fun of all. I'm taking the kid's brother who lost his brother to cancer the fourth season. It may be raining in the blind if he scores....if you know what I mean?

30-Apr-17
Pete-pec....Hang in there. I will keep you and your family in my prayers today..... When I had grandson out last year.... I shot my Tom .... by the time I emptied the gun. My grandson was up trying to grab the bird flopping around. I did not think he was that fast..... I don't have to worry about him wanting to hunt.

30-Apr-17
Buck - the shoulder is still immobilized in the sling & pillow apparatus they said I have to wear until the surgeon clears me,.. it'll be five weeks tomorrow, only two weeks more to go. Doing PT daily, per instructions. Trying to be a cooperative patient to speed healing. Still hope I will be able to work into being able to draw a hunting weight bow for this fall. I absolutely do not want to miss the bow season! Pete - congrats on the turkey, I sense you needed that. Good for you. Sorry to hear of the misfortune you encountered. Hopefully better times are ahead.

30-Apr-17
Sounds perfect!

30-Apr-17
Tough morning for me. A light but steady rain that never really let up and quite a bit of wind. Damp and cold, the kind that goes right through you. Before the birds flew down they were noisy as heck, the moment they did, they shut up completely. May or may not head back out later but if not anymore today, tomorrow for sure! Torn meniscus in my knee that makes walking tough but once sitting, that pain disappears.

30-Apr-17
Hey Cap. I would get the knee fixed asap. I waited on mine and it got worse. Then I had it fixed and was mad that I waited as it was good as new in no time. At least for a couple years. They had to cut out quite a bit as it was a pretty good tear. What was left just got ground out from over doing by things like packing out too much Elk at a time & just never taking the easy way. Now I have a titanium & porcelain knee. A much tougher rehab but worth it in the long run. It was about a year and a half before I called it my good knee.

30-Apr-17
Thanks for the kind words casekiska. You heal up, and get that bow out this fall. I'm not sure what would drive me more crazy...the bum shoulder, or the fact I couldn't pull the bow back? Getting old sucks! I know, because I'm getting old. I'm not sure I'll be able to hunt without glasses in the near future, but that will be some getting used to as well. I've had sciatic nerve issues for a few years now, and as long as I'm not kneeling or standing too much, I'm fine, but Catholicism is out the window. Now I pray in the tree lol!

30-Apr-17
CaptMike..... don't give up

30-Apr-17
Thanks Buck, no chance I'll give up. I skipped this afternoon but I'll be back out in the AM. Albino, wish I would've had it done right away. It has been 2-1/2 months now and no change. Unfortunately, at this point I'm just going to put up with it. Have a Manitoba bear hunt coming up end of May, then Africa in late June. They tell me to be ready for lots of walking. Going to the Kalahari for a lion.

30-Apr-17
I am still hoping to get out tomorrow and/or Tuesday for my turkey season. I had to go see my Dad and then teach a wilderness first aid course in Madison. Finally on my way home and won't get there until about Midnight.

If I don't get out, that will be fine. I've taken several kids out for learn to hunts and the youth hunt. Much more fun and important than for me to kill a bird.

30-Apr-17
Capt - You've got some good hunts planned, wish you well on all of them. Mostly tho on the Lion. Man, that would be so freakin' cool to shoot an African Lion with a bow! There can't be too many modern day bowhunters who can say they hunted Lions in Africa with a stick & string. Keep us posted & take lots of pics. Good luck.

30-Apr-17
Problem is with a lion now day's don't tell many people or you might get death threat's . By the way , best of luck to ya .

30-Apr-17
Those African hunts are a bargain for the most part if you hunt plains game. You can take several for the cost of a good elk hunt.

30-Apr-17
Best wishes on both your hunts and your rehab guys. I'm looking forward to posts about your success in both areas.

30-Apr-17
Drop Tine-but the air fare will kill you.

Do the guides pick you up from the airport?

30-Apr-17
My wife's ex-brother-in-law did a hunt in Africa with two other guys a few years ago and it was far less expensive than I would've thought possible.

01-May-17
Thanks for the well wishes guys! While I am taking my bow, it is a spot and stalk hunt and the situation will dictate if I use the bow or a firearm. I've talked it over with the PH and will be willing to use either.

Tweed, while the airfare is substantial, it is not nearly as bad as some think. Drop tine and Orion are correct, hunting Africa is a bargain compared to most north american hunts. I have travelled there multiple times, the most expensive ticket (cattle class, not first class) was $2,250 and twice I've found round trip airfare for under a thousand. Anyone interested in knowing more, feel free to PM me.

01-May-17
Capt Mike, I implore you to do a write up of your lion hunt and share it with us!! The bear hunt story would be pretty cool as well.

I'd be interested but not until my youngest is done with college. My hunt $ will go toward him for now until he reaches the real world.

01-May-17
Crusader, I agree 1,000% about spending money on the kids hunting. For me that is much more enjoyable than doing it myself. Both my daughters hunt and are going with me on both these trips. If finances allow, I will bear hunt, if not I am completely content to be with them and share in their hunts.

01-May-17
Pete, I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I wish you and your family well in moving past them. Prayers always work. Great thread. It is driving the 2 main culprits crazy.

01-May-17
Capt- how old are your girls and how'd you get them into it?

Both of my girls currently love the idea of hunting but I'm sure they'll grow out of it once they become teens.

01-May-17
Tweed, currently 20 & 22. I guess they got into it through constant exposure. From sitting in a turkey blind, a two man treestand or walking along watching my springer spaniels chase game farm pheasants, I've taken them with me since age 6 or 7. I always tried to make it fun and never kept them out if they were uncomfortable. Then, once boys entered the picture, they fortunately found guys who hunted and so they would hunt with them also. Had them shooting a kids archery league at BuckRub from about age 8 or 9 on. One of them refuses to hunt with a gun, even during the gun deer season. Almost all our family vacations centered on hunting, even though my wife is not a hunter.

01-May-17

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Please put me on the list with Crusader dad lobbying for pics and a story.

Have a great hunt. Be safe.

Be careful when near river's edge. There was a recent thread on the Big Game Forum. A PH, Scott Van Zyl was apparently taken by crocs.

Not a croc, but check out the video clip that I posted in the Community Forum. I thought it was a really cool experience to handle a ten foot plus alligator pushing 400 lbs, but I couldn't help but think about getting lunched by a croc.

Come back in one piece regardless of the dangerous game.

01-May-17

01-May-17
For his wife's & kid's sake, I hope the dude kissing bubba has good insurance.

(P. S.,... Capt, probably a good idea not to try this! Again, good luck & best wishes on the hunt.)

01-May-17
Orion. I had met Scott a couple times. Seemed like a nice guy and very respected by the PH's I do know. Very sad! Never shot a croc, but got a couple gators in FL. Oh no, Case. I'm not getting anywhere near a set of teeth like those. Thanks again guys!

01-May-17
Sorry for the loss of your friend Mike. Terrible tragedy.

01-May-17
Thanks Happy! All is getting better....unfortunately my son went back to UW Hospital today. But we endure and overcome.

01-May-17
Best of luck and prayers, Pete.

01-May-17
Thanks Mike

01-May-17
Good Luck Pete. Prayers sent. Want to hear about the lion also. Working on planning one with my brother.

01-May-17
Yeah Pete, wow... I really hope things turn around for you guys. Ill keep you all in my thoughts.

02-May-17
Thanks guys. Culture came back. Not a virus, but because he wasn't eating well, he shows high liver and kidney numbers. Basically malnutrition. 2 weeks of IV's and protein shakes. Yay. Last visit was 28,000. Multiply that times 4 for the year so far. And this is why HSA insurance is a good thing sometimes lol.

02-May-17
Good luck to you, Pete!

02-May-17
Hey Pete I have a big container of protein powder unopened. I'd be more than happy to send it to you free of charge and I'll cover the shipping charges too. Let me know?

02-May-17
Hope things get better for y'all Pete.

02-May-17
The outpouring of kindness certainly gives hope for humanity.

Nocturnal, I appreciate the kind offering, but we have everything covered. We reached our out of pocket quite quickly, so form here forward, we are not out a dime. Thanks again.

We are not new to this, and have been dealing with his health issues long enough that it becomes second nature. I just talked with him about the well wishes, and he said thank you to all of you, and is already feeling better.

So back at you guys!

02-May-17
Yes, it does, according to my PH. Each of the 9 provinces of S Africa have different laws. It can make things quite confusing, particularly when different officials from the same branch of government have different interpretations.

It appears to me that the info in your post was written back in 2007? Not sure of that. Regarding Cape Buffalo vs. Giraffe, I can only guess that it is due to the much thicker skin of the giraffe as compared to the buffalo. I videoed a buddy shoot his buffalo with an 80# bow, do not remember how heavy the arrow was. His arrow was a complete pass through, the buffalo went maybe 30 yards, then stood there until it tipped over. It was about a 27 yard shot.

It seemed that once the others in the herd smelled the blood they became very aggressive towards the shot buffalo.

02-May-17
Woods, it seems like the laws change as often as do the interpretations by the government officials. I trust my PH to keep me on the straight and narrow.

03-May-17
CaptMike .... did you get your Tom.

03-May-17
Buck, short answer is no. I quit with my bow at noon yesterday. Lots of wind and no bird movement. Around 3:00 I decided to go back out and ended up killing a jake with the shotgun at 6:30. I think that was the most hours I've put into any single turkey season.

03-May-17
They all eat the same. Way to hold out!

03-May-17
Pete, I actually picked one that I thought was a young one in hopes that it eats a little better. Typically I only save the breast of a mature Tom but I saved all from this one.

04-May-17
Don't feel bad Mike I did the same thing Saturday. Oddest day of turkey hunting I've ever had, called in 2 separate groups of 5 jakes. Off the roost had a tom with 5 hens and only the hens came in, tom actually slowly walked the complete opposite way. Had 5 jakes around the decoys at noon and the tom ended up running them off but never got closer than 60 yards, was not interested in the decoys, just running the jakes off. Never been so sure of killing one in my life, I figured once he ran the jakes off he'd come running in, wasn't the case. Knowing the weather was going to get ugly Sunday/Monday I clobbered a baby turkey (thats what I labeled it as in the freezer) on Saturday afternoon, had to keep my streak alive of killing one every year since I was 12.

04-May-17
grossklw, it was indeed a very different season from what I have come to know as "normal." Congrats on keeping the streak alive, those baby turkeys we have will be good vittles.

04-May-17
They are excellent smoked.

04-May-17
Yes! Smoking after brining is the only way my family will eat it.

06-May-17
Like to take the breast out, cut into turkey fingers we then make a simple Parmesan cream of mushroom gravy over the top. Even the Grandkids love them. Put the thighs in a slow cooker make a gravy. Pretty good.

06-May-17
Great recipe screwball!

07-May-17
Thanks Screwball, that sounds good. Might try that with the young one I shot this year.

07-May-17
Yes, slow cooker! Love that turkey in the slow cooker and there is many ways you can prepare it!

Me and the wife heading out one last time in the morning! She needs to fill that tag! I'll keep the slow cooker plugged in!

• Sitka Gear