Hoot 25-Jan-24
bghunter 25-Jan-24
bowyer45 03-Feb-24
Drop Tine 03-Feb-24
Groundhunter 03-Feb-24
01-May-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Photo of Kalt's Restaurant on N. Oakland Ave on Milwaukee's Eastside at the turn of the previous century.

Anyone have any grand fathers or great grandfathers that were market hunters?

01-May-17
My grandfather used to host a game feed from time to time at his tavern. Does that count? I heard that muskrat cooked by my grandmother was a favorite shared during the fall feed.

01-May-17
Game feeds are cool but this photo has me thinking of the long hunters and harvesting waterfowl with punt guns.

01-May-17
I' bet they probably had a special on venison stew .

01-May-17
Old WI deer hunting regulations: (a few of hundreds) (From the book: "A Century Of Wisconsin Deer" by Otis Bersing, 2nd edition, by the Game Management Division Of the Wisconsin Conservation Department, 1966)

1895 - Sale of venison not permitted after 3 days following close of season. Hotels & restaurants could not serve venison during closed season. 1896 - First deer bag limit. First deer hunting license required. 1897 - Now legal to sell or transport venison during first 5 days after close of season. 1899 - Deer purchases, sale, and transportation permitted only between 11-6 and 11-25. Home consumption after season permitted by written notice to warden. 1901 - Unlawful to sell or transport deer between 12-5 and 11-15. 1902 - Sale of venison prohibited (1903 - 1954) 1956 - 100 th. established gun deer season.

Looking back. Fun facts! Those deer hanging by that store front, how did they figure into all this? We'll never know!

01-May-17
Let's not forget the small bear hanging on the right.

Doing a little digging on this, I guess this was when Kalt's was still on Grand Ave (W. Wisconsin Ave) before they moved to Oakland Ave.

01-May-17
Cushing Wisc still has their annual venison feed think 60 + years running. Still give away deer rifle. Pretty neat.

01-May-17
And did you notice hung head down the proper way!

01-May-17
What does it really matter which way they are hung? If I hang one head up that I intend to mount it gets tied by the legs so as not to damage hair on the head or the neck. Tie a second rope to the antlers just to hold the head up a bit. I know that exposes the hind quarters to yote chewing on them but that is pretty rare. Better than them chewing on the parts that get mounted.

Interesting info. Never knew most of that.

01-May-17
I remember my Grampa telling stories on how deer hunters would shoot a bear if they had the chance. Must have been OK to do back then. Deer were a bonus and every last bit of meat was taken, even the ribs. I remember Gramma talking the tallow and making soap and candles and using the bear grease for cooking, made the best pie crusts and Grampa would use the bear grease for waterproofing and using it in his hair.

02-May-17
Mike F........ funny you mention this. just two days ago I got a request from a native that wants some bear fat (grease) for healing purposes. I also have a friend that uses it on his flintlock (bore butter).

04-May-17
Yup, I remember back in my early days of deer hunting '66 you could still take a bear with your deer license. Not sue if you had to burn your deer tag for it or the bear was just a bonus. At least that's what I remember. I know one time my dad took me out to show me a bear tree not too far from our deer stands. One with lots of claw marks on it. I remember there being a strong smell of bear there. We thought we had just missed one being there but after years of bear hunting and not smelling them I have come to the conclusion that the smell was more a territorial marking thing associated with clawing that tree.

04-May-17
In the early 1950s in WI a deer hunting license also included black bear. Further, at that time there was no bag limit on black bear and a hunter could harvest as many as their skills allowed. In 1954 bowhunter Art LaHa of Winchester was awarded The Most Unusual Kill Award by the WI Bowhunters Assoc. for his taking two deer and five black bear in the previous season. (Note, a couple of the animals were taken in Michigan.)

04-May-17
Jeff, If I remember correctly (my wife will argue that), you could take either a deer or a bear on your gun deer license. On your bow license, you could take a deer and a bear.

04-May-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
My dad in the mid 50's

25-Jan-24
My grandmother had been a pastry chef here. Does anyone have the dates that Kalt's was at this location before it moved to Oakland Ave?

25-Jan-24
My brother-in-law killed a bear up in the Glidden area during deer season way back.

25-Jan-24
I would love to see someone do a photo like that now in that area. Most of the residents in that area would be outraged.

03-Feb-24
My dad market hunted waterfowl with a punt gun and regular guns with brass shells, the limit was 25 ducks and he hunted with live duck decoys. The small limits of the fifties when I started made him say it wasn't worth going out anymore. and yes back in the fifties a bear was included on our licenses. Bears, mountain lions, and wolves were to be shot on sight as vermin. Yes there were mountain lions and timber wolves in Northwest Wisconsin back then.

03-Feb-24
The photo of my dad was by Saxon. They hunted by the Potato and Bad river area. Tough country.

03-Feb-24
I was able to hunt with Mike Noskoviak, in the Bad River drainage. Best area in my opinion of northern Wis. Those glory days sadly are gone. Politics and wolves, what a shame

• Sitka Gear