soapdish 07-May-17
drslyr 07-May-17
drslyr 07-May-17
longbeard 07-May-17
Dr. Deer 19-May-17
Bigbuckbob 19-May-17
soapdish 19-May-17
01-May-17
My son is looking into buying a go pro. Do any of you have experience with these. I see the prices range from $150-400. I'm assuming he will attach it to his bow and shotgun.

01-May-17
In my honest opinion, I would not recommend getting a go pro for self-filmed hunts. From 16-19 I used to use the go pro because I used it for filming my ski trips, scuba diving, and my fraternity party-parties haha. They are fun to play with but for hunting, they really don't do the trick. After trying for a few years I ended up giving up on using it for hunting and I bought a cheaper $300 camera with a $20 mount for my treestand. If you want I can send you videos to show you how different these two cameras are when it comes to footage because the difference is night and day. I could not be happier with my current setup.

01-May-17
Yea I agree with buckdown. They are great for snowmobiling quads etc but I'd go with a camera. There a free GoPro in pike county Illinois. My buddy lost it walking out of the woods his first night on stand with it. Laugh my ass off.

01-May-17
Thank you. I will see what exactly he wants to do with it.

04-May-17
Soap if you need help PM me and ill send you my setup its affordable and works amazing.

04-May-17
Soap if you need help PM me and ill send you my setup its affordable and works amazing.

04-May-17
Ok. I was talking with him about what exactly he wants to get out of filming. Looks like he wants to use it for fishing also and possibly some under water stuff.

04-May-17
Hey guys - can you share what camera you DO use please. I was thinking of setting something up this year as well, and I'm surprised to hear the GoPro is not the way to go, so you saved me some money already.

thanks

04-May-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/bypCjXL2uwA

04-May-17
Ah, I use the hole in the bathroom wall method notme.

04-May-17
Tactacam pro

04-May-17
I have a lid cam its not very good ,might go with a go pro and mount it right to my scope I already carry to much junk with m.e I have a camera and tree mount that I used for my bear hunt but I just set it to the bait site and forget it I didn't worry about it when the bear came in . I use my phone now but I need one more hand .lol

04-May-17
Go pro's are not designed with hunting in mind. An animal 20 yds away looks like 80 yds away.

04-May-17
How about the go pro 5? Supposed to be all new and upgraded.

04-May-17
I like the way the tactacam looks. Use it in place of a stabilizer or in addition to. Compact as well. $329 is a bit steep especially when I cost average per buck shot :)

04-May-17
They all will be the same because of the fish eye lens Soapdish. As Silverado said above a deer 20 yards away looks like it's 80.

Here are two videos I shot in the same spot:

This one is with the Go Pro: first shot was 20 yards away and the second was 30, it was about 4 pm when the footage was taken I believe.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftRdIPVNbg

Here is the video of a deer with my new tree stand mount and my cheap handheld camera. It was around the same time of 4 pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3bLCSLREo

I hope you can see the difference from the quality of the video.

If your son is going fishing I would recommend the go-pro. I fish all over from Cape Cod to Montauk on my 14-foot Hobie pro angler and I could not be more satisfied with my go pro footage. All he needs is a screw in kayak mount and make sure he really screws it in tight.

04-May-17
Looking for something that will cover lake Champlain fishing, kayak fishing, snorkeling in the natchaug river, deer hunting both gun and bow, let us not forget the Canadians. O yeah and ocean fishing on my buddies boat. Spoiled kid lol.

04-May-17
Look on the big game forum for the predator cam. Go pro knock off but has zoom capabilities and a ton of attachment options. I used a Kodak zx3 playsport for years but the predator cam is smaller and better. I used it last season, great little cam for mounting on bow. Mounted it on riser of PSE and will mount it on stabilizer of Halon comp.

04-May-17
All great info guys, much appreciated. Will investigate all options.

04-May-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Here's my setup but I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY into filming.

05-May-17
Why is there a woodchuck with an anal probe on your camera ?

05-May-17
At least not me didn't say a beaver. Boy that would have changed things

05-May-17
Soap dish get the TACTACAM instead. Easier to use and comes with a built in mount for you compound bow. It replaces your stability device on the bow! Comes with optional rifle/shotgun mount as well. Get the older 2.0 version instead of the more expensive 4.0 WiFi model,

05-May-17
Deerslayer,

Now this is an impressive set up! All yer top YouTube sites suggest this as a main camera in a three cam set up! And the Ruddy mount is first rate! I'm sure you get some impressive results!

Ron

05-May-17
dyslry - you do have great videos, but it looks like you're more into shooting film than arrows at deer :)

I'll have to show you what I use, you're going to laugh so hard!!! I made a bracket out of alum for a small digital camera and slap it to the front of my bow. All the times I've taken it with me I've never shot anything, so it's been sitting at home. Maybe tomorrow I can get some video of a tom trying to dodge my arrow.

05-May-17
Tactacom looks pretty awesome

05-May-17
Can the tactacom go under water? Their web site says weather proof. One review said it can go down 30feet.

05-May-17
I use a GoPro also but as a second angle camera. On a gun or bow mounted camera you miss the impact of the shot due to the violence of the bow or gun going off. In my filming that half second of the impact is the most important part of the video.

06-May-17
Alright, decision made. Thank you all for your input to help my kid make an informed decision. He didn't choose the woodchuck alien probe thingy but decided on the tactacom 2.0. I couldn't even get him to get the 4.0, he, had justifiable reason not to. I can't wait to borrow it lol. By the way we got it Cabela's with the employee discount promotion, got it for $170. That left him with $30 to get the gun mount. My other son found some nice bow hunting guns for $5. Regular price $25. Upstairs, end of the aisle, on the bottom.

07-May-17
And if the tactacam can go under water, what about the gopher with the anal probe? Better get him a snorkel.

07-May-17
You will like the Tactacam and it's easy to use takes great sharp HD video. Battery life is not great and it won't work if the SD cards not fully inserted. I wouldn't do full water submersion, but it can handle a little moisture,

07-May-17
Crap,thats like showering with someone and getting stuck out of the hotwater spray..lol

07-May-17

drslyr's Link
Iv'e run the GoPro down to 100ft on a downrigger mount and got some pretty cool lake trout strikes on cam. checkem out.....

07-May-17
File not found

07-May-17
try this. https://vimeo.com/180677340

07-May-17
Wrong video...... watch the next one tittled Quabbin 100 ft. down

07-May-17
Soap sorry been on vacation and haven't been able to catch up here on bowsite. If I were to rate the portable style cameras mentioned here (not drslyr's), I would rate the Tactacam second and the GoPro a distant 3rd. I would rate the camera that is offered by Ultimate Preditor number one in that category. And UP is a Bowsite sponsor. Go to Ultimatepreditor.com and check out the camera they offer for under $300. Its awesome!

19-May-17

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
If you have a main camera, a GoPro is fun to bow mount, facing backwards towards yourself to film the shot and your reaction to it. Adds a lot.

19-May-17
Ho boy! Reminds me of all of the people with selfie sticks in Italy knocking people in the head and not apologizing. But on a bow a fun idea

19-May-17
We were in Disney a couple years ago when some Brazilianans got in the bumper cars the same time as us. They pulled out a selfie stick. They were then targeted with the hopes of the stick being knocked out of the car.

• Sitka Gear