Question for Turkey Guru's (Windy days)
West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
Jim Casto Jr 02-May-17
hookman 02-May-17
jwc3 02-May-17
gobbler 04-May-17
02-May-17
Woke to a very windy morning and "almost" didn't go hunting. As I thought about it, I couldn't figure why I wouldn't go. I don't know if turkey's do anything differently when the wind blows. So... it got me curious. Do turkey's "typically" do anything different on windy days?

Do they stay low in the bottoms; get out of the timber; go to the fields, etc. etc.?

02-May-17
I am not a a Guru by any means but typically they stay in sheltered places from the wind and very little movement and activity. Hope it don't blow tomorrow .

02-May-17
I think they do the same thing day after day. If wind was a big issue, people in the western states would be in trouble. I got on a bird this morning hunting with Mike Connet of Wide Rack outfitters that flew off roost and went straight to the ridge top to gobble and strut. Second bird we got on was in a small field strutting with a jake and two hens. Biggest problem was them hearing us and us hearing them.

04-May-17
I think they do what they do. I had been seeing a couple gobblers from cabin that I was saving for my wife . She came Monday. She went out Tuesday morning and the wind was 30-40 mph on our mountain. Sure enough they came out in same place and she filled her tag. I filled my 2nd tag Monday morning in the wind also.

Where my cabin is over the years I can see a food plot where they come out. Sometimes it's so windy they have trouble strutting in the wind. The wind will actually push them around when they are fanned out.

• Sitka Gear