Thornton 20-May-17
Scooby-doo 21-May-17
Ksgobbler 21-May-17
turkulese 24-May-17
ksq232 26-May-17
turkulese 27-May-17
Thornton 27-May-17
02-May-17
Hello, Unfortunately my buddies and I are looking for a new lease for 2017. We have been coming to Kansas for the past 8 years (on and off certain years) and have always had the luxury of hunting some good WIHA and some private ground. Unfortunately we lost our usual spots to hunt and are looking for something new.

I have looked all over the internet....Craigslist, BaseCampLeasing, HuntingLeaseNetwork, etc. and have not found quite what we are looking for.

We will be in Unit 9 from around Nov. 3rd until November 12th (if we draw of course). We are looking for a lease for only a week to week and a half for the entire season. Archery hunting for bucks only. We take plenty of does in Michigan, so unless the owner wanted some does shot, we wouldn't use those tags.

I know that it is a long shot to find someone on here to lease from because hunting land is so scarce, but I am trying to cast as many nets as possible to find a viable solution. We are not looking for an outfitter, just some land that we can use for the 10 days. We would use all of our own stands and gear. We are very trustworthy and have the up-most respect for our natural resources.

If you or anyone you know would be looking to make some decent money for 10 days of the year, just let me know. If you shoot me a PM, please reply to this message saying so.

If requested, I can provide Kansas resident's (farmers) contact info of land we have leased in the past as references. Have formed great relationships with them and talk weekly. Have appreciated everything they have done for us in the past and respect their wishes.

Thanks in advance.

02-May-17
Sounds like you got out-bid?

03-May-17
I know where I'd go if I were from out of state! Fall River Wildlife area. A number 1 place to hunt on public.

03-May-17
I have never figured out why you keep saying that Chief. Fall River is actually pretty hard to hunt and find a big one.

03-May-17
I sent you a PM that I think will enlighten you on my post.

06-May-17
We didnt get outbid but the landowner has some nephews who are getting into hunting pretty hardcore.

Then the WIHA we hunted for years came out of the program in 2016.

So we are looking for a lease. If we can't find one then we will just find some more WIHA to hunt. We will have a great time no matter what, but would like some land to have to ourselves (for 10 days anyway.)

Like I said, if any of you guys or your buddies want to make some money for only 10 days out of the year, let me know what you have available.

Thanks.

07-May-17
Pretty certain fall river is not in unit 9

When you say "buddies" how many of them are you talking about?

What is your adjacent unit choice?

07-May-17
Curious... what would you pay per acre for a 10 day lease?

07-May-17
Our group has 4 people. Been coming out there together for years. Like I stated earlier, some years certain guys skip, but this year it will be all 4 of us.

When we put in for the draw, Unit 9 was our first choice followed by all adjoining units....so I think 8, 14, and 10. We have hunted 9 for around 7 years now. Hunted unit 8 once.

As far as price per acre, we usually pay what WIHA would to the landowner. (I'm sure it varies on each parcel, but we were paying $3 an acre.) Now I know this is very cheap compared to a lot of leases, but like I said we are only there 10 days a year. So the half section we used to hunt cost us $1,000 and some booze. The way I looked at it was that the landowner made $1000 in just over a week. He didn't have to worry about a lot of different people on his property compared to enrolling it in WIHA.

We also helped him whenever he needed it (fencing, cattle, feeding, etc).

And like I stated earlier, we are not looking for outfitters. We enjoy using all of our own gear, hanging and moving stands, tracking deer, etc.

08-May-17
Hope that grand didn't put him in a higher bracket. Of course the IRS would have to know.

15-May-17
4 hunters pay $1,000 total for a 10 day hunt during prime time? Even doing all your own work... if you make that happen I wouldn't want an outfitter either.

Not saying you cant make it happen, keep casting those nets and good luck.

16-May-17
Pretty cheap. I doubt you find that again. A prime 80 acres in unit 14 often brings $1500

16-May-17
Honestly Michigan, I think now that most residents have been behind the curve on the whole leasing thing we are starting to catch up in the way of securing places to hunt. I know of at least 6 different friends who have leased ground this year in order to secure a hunting location.

16-May-17
What a sad state of affairs. Hunting is supposed to be fun like it used to be. Not a chase of scores and locking people out.

16-May-17
I do not lease in Kansas and drive from NY. I hunt for right at 100 dollars a day and that includes everything, gas, tolls, room,food, tags, license!! I still have lots of fun, I enjoy the work it takes to DYI, even the packing the damn truck! :-) Shawn

17-May-17
lol "nephews" may be what he told ya but I'd be willing to bet he found someone willing to pay more.... MUCH more. $3 / acre is nothing compared to what many guys I know are paying.

20-May-17
Shawn- I'm sure your spot will get leased someday especially with all the publicity you give it

20-May-17
Thornton it wont at least anytime soon. I know this for a fact, maybe in 30 years or so but not anytime soon. Also I am willing to put in the work and can do just fine on public as well. Shawn

20-May-17
Scooby everyone has their price. You may be eating those words one day driving back to NY.

20-May-17
I thought the same thing and now can literally hunt nothing I grew up hunting.

20-May-17
Scooby or Sean, Shawn, whatever you are going by today, you don't have a crystal ball. Even family members have woke up to find their lifelong hunting spot tossed in the turmoil of estate courts because one inheriting member decided they wanted money and not land. My dad sold crop insurance for decades. This resulted in me getting to know dozens of farmers and gaining permission to hunt thousands upon thousands of acres of land. It all disappeared in a few years with the deaths of several big landowners. Their heirs sold the land or leased it to top bidders of the deer hunting idol. It can all be gone much sooner than you think unless a lawyer somewhere has you as an heir on a piece of paper.

21-May-17
Ok, think what ya want. I am pretty confident as I have come to know this whole family. I never said never but I am confident I will be fine for some time is all. Shawn

21-May-17
One of the places we lost I went to school with their kids. My parents went to school with them. I even worked with their son at the FD after going to college with him as well. They were offered rediculous money. We asked what it would take for us to lease it. $20k. Wave that in front of these folks you know and see if they take it.

24-May-17

turkulese's Link
Unit 11 Lease... even comes with a Hunting Lodge!

26-May-17
Interesting, wonder why they want out?

27-May-17
It has been listed for a couple of years now.

27-May-17
It's hard to come up with enough hunters for an operation that big sometimes. When I guided, my friend Wes leased 10,000 acres. Eternal Ft Scott and Pittsburg. It had a $200,000 cabinnthat sat on a lake stocked with everything including wiper. He told me he needed over 30 deer hunters a year to make it work. He was one of the biggest, most successful outfitters in Colorado. Even with his reputation, he was unable to get enough hunters for market price every year. I think he only had the ranch a few years and he had to give it up. I declined to manage it so I could go to school. The guy he got to manage it was running other hunters on it behind his back and later Jim Keller sold the place anyway. I've always said the most successful outfitters own all the land they guide on

• Sitka Gear