Santaquinkid 18-Jan-21
Santaquinkid 18-Jan-21
BOHNTR 24-Jan-21
azelkhntr 31-Jan-21
Crossbow Man 30-Apr-21
Knothead 30-Apr-21
StickFlicker 30-Apr-21
02-May-17
Planning on a DIY Javelina hunt in 2018. My work calendar is such this year that i'll have almost two whole weeks off in January. I've done a ton of research. Have my zone picked out with a places to hunt narrowed down. But I have a couple of questions. 1.) I'm wondering about binos. I currently I have some vortex diamondback 8x42s. Will they be adaqute? or should I invest in bigger glass. (looking at the Vortex new diamondback 12x50). Oh and i already have a tripod and mount. 2.) Looks like most folks camp, but does anyone just stay in a motel? I'll be coming from out of state (Peoples Republic of Califoristan, don't hold it against me!). Just wondering because a motel stay would require much less gear to haul. Or may go all out a bring a budddy's trailer.

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

02-May-17
I live here in the state of Jefferson, and was planning an Az javalina / deer hunt in Jan '18. Would be interested in hearing which areas you have selected / rejected. I don't want to be anywhere near the border for obvious reasons.

05-May-17
I'm staying above the I 10, to avoid border problems. I also didn't want to have snow mess up my hunt so eliminated the northern units. Also I didn't want to be super close to metro areas. Then I needed a tag that was easy odds to draw. So with that in mind I chose unit 28. There are closer units, and maybe better units, but I THINK this fits the bill for ME. Now keep in mind, I've never done this before so I might be way off. In fact, this will be my first out of state hunt.

Shoot straight!

05-May-17
I've hunted unit 27 twice for elk but that's not really Javi country. Possibly unit 28 is more to their liking. I was thinking SW of Prescott, near Bagdad. Will eliminate driving clear across the state. Nothing like AZ in the winter months.

07-May-17
Your 8X powers will be painful to use here. I use 15's when I am going to be in one area for a while or close to my vehicle. My go to are my 10x42's with a lightweight tripod, you will be much more diligent with a tripod no matter how steady you believe you are. Sitting and glassing will find you a lot more animals than using your feet.

I have not hunted 28 myself, but I am sure there are plenty of javelina and deer to be found. Basing from a motel will limit your time in the field in my opinion, lots more travel time involved. January is a beautiful time to be out, albeit chilly in the mornings. Good luck!

09-May-17
Thanks Notags, I very much appreciate the advice.

11-May-17
notags X2!

They are tough to spot at long distance, and glassing is the best way to find them. Tripod is a must!

Scar.

08-Jun-17
Where do you find a list of hunts to apply for? I'm looking to try and draw a Javelina tag as well for this coming fall and am very confused about the draw process.

10-Jun-17
Spring hunt regs will be out around September, deadline to apply will be in October. Last years regs will probably be the same as far as tag #s per unit. You may be able to access last years(2017) online at AZGF

11-Jun-17
I found it all on the AZGF website. Did online research about which area I wanted to be in, found out which zone it was in and then the corresponding hunt code from the website.

12-Jun-17
Since it sounds like most of you have not hunted them before, just a tip that they don't particularly like the cold. On very cold mornings, they might not get moving at first light. They normally move later in the mornings than do deer and other big game animals, so don't give up after an hour or two, since they might just be starting to move around for the day by that point. Also, they can be noisy at times, so in addition to looking for them moving while feeding or traveling, listen for squealing/crying babies or rocks being rolled around while they are rooting on a hillside.

13-Jun-17
Guys, we kill them almost every year, and our average time for kills is around 9-10 am, and I have been in them feeding fresh from their beds from 11-1 on colder years. As Stick said, they don't like the cold, or the wind really. They are so much fun it's crazy, especially if you get in a big herd and have them all around you! Be warned, their noses are incredible! better than a deer's as far as I am concerned, wind is everything! they can see pretty good, but not great. movement will give you away in a heart beat, but, I have been in the open 5 feet from then and they walk on by:) Too Much fun! I have always said that if they weighed 200lbs+ we would never get drawn for them:)

Good Luck!!!! Scar.

14-Jun-17
Appreciate the input. Thanks guys. Really looking forward to Jan '18 and just being in Az. I need to get a turquoise belt buckle though, so people don't know I'm from NorCal.

01-Aug-17
Haha! Yep cause all of us in AZ wear turquoise belt buckles.. Good luck osage!

23-Nov-17
If anyone is reading this thread I'm moving to Az and plan on picking up an OTC deer tag and left over javie tag possibly leaning towards just hunting javies this year '18 possibly? I'm pretty familiar with Az having lived there before and am a pretty seasoned Hunter having over ten different big game species down with only strict traditional gear but don't mind hunting with compound hunters as we're just all hunters..... Looking for someone that wants to hunt hard and hopefully put down a critter it two..... If I do hunt deer I'll focus mainly in muleys...... I have a crew cab four wheel drive that I'm not afraid to bring way back in anywhere.... Just looking to hopefully link up with a like minded Hunter that wants to camp and hunt hard for 3-7 days.... Just split fuel and food and go do it! Also would love to meet some new trad hunters it any for that matter..... Coming from being spoiled living in Co and hunting WT in Nebraska I'm in desperate need of getting into the whole Az hunting and archery scene before I start going through WDs.... Feel free to message me with any questions or ideas but I'll hunt day trips in up to multiple days camping always if I'm over night it.... Also if anyone wants to trade a spot or two I'll be willing to repay you with some if the best private elk, high country muley, private antelope and private WT and muley hunts in Co and Nebraska next season at some of what I believe to be the best hunting for all those critters in the country. Places I've been hunting for twenty years that I have sole permission on and have killed numerous record book animals sometimes several book animals a year....... I'll hunt alone and use to love it more but the older I get I enjoy the company and safety of hunting with a partner! I have tree stands DB ground blinds to use if need be as well......

23-Nov-17
I just received Javi tag for unit 17,18, & 19. I plan on getting an OTC deer tag upon arriving. Will probably stay most of Jan '18 hunting and fly fishing. Sure beats staying at home watching cartoons and the wife's soaps. Have hunted most all of the western states, as well as Alaska & Africa, so would be interested in trades etc.

24-Nov-17
I love chasin mulies up high in Colorado in September, but there is something about those big desert mulies in December in Arizona...

I've been fortunate lately to meet a guy that works for the F&G here, and the areas he told me about, along with a few that guys told me about during events at Cabela's has got me anticipating the late bow season!! Javies are just an after thought now, plan in spending time chasin mulies!!

24-Nov-17
Need some help! I have drawn an archery javy tag for January. Am now interested in applying for a first come first served tag but can't find the fees for that tag. Is the fee for that tag the same amount as my archery tag? You can PM me if you wish.. Thx in advance!!

Larv

24-Nov-17
Yes, same price. Just an FYI, you can't get a second tag of the same hunt number.

25-Nov-17
Stickflicker, Thx for the info! I knew I had to apply for another unit!

Thx again!!

Larv

25-Nov-17
It says the amount right on the list of leftover tags, $115 NR.

25-Nov-17
I thought you just couldn't kill two javalinas in the same unit in the same year. Can you get two (same) multi unit tags and kill in different units? Ed F

26-Nov-17
I think it goes by hunt number. May be mistaken since I haven't read that in a while but I am pretty sure that is how it used to be anyway.

26-Nov-17
This is what I found: Bag Limit Two (2) javelina per calendar year (except as prescribed in R12-4-120) with no more than one (1) javelina taken per open area as defined in each hunt number. The bag limit may be filled in any combination of permit-tag (draw tag or firstcome left over draw tag as long as differing hunt numbers) or nonpermit-tag (over-the-counter tag) hunts as prescribed in R12-4-114. No more than one (1) permit-tag shall be issued per hunter through the initial draw.

Hope this helps.. WDP

27-Nov-17
Sure does. Thanks. I'm good. Ed F

27-Nov-17
Now I'm confused... what is the definition of "open area"? I drew a 17b general tag and then got a leftover multi unit archery tag which includes 17b. The way I understood it is that I could have both tags but could not shoot 2 javalina in 17b. Am I good? Ed F

27-Nov-17
Double post

27-Nov-17
As long as they both have a different hunt number as I read it.

28-Nov-17
You can hunt the same unit, but it needs to be two separate hunts, i.e.: archery only for one, gun or HAM for the second. I believe the logic is they don't want hunters whacking two animals out of a group at one time. This way you have to find the herd twice.

28-Nov-17
Yes, can be the same unit but in different hunts (general, HAM or archery), since they have different hunt numbers.

28-Nov-17
Come down to Sahuarita, AZ. You won't need glass to find the javelina. Just walk out in the desert inside the city limit with your bow and tag and take your pick. You'll fill your tag in a matter of hours. I arrowed one at 12 yards. It never saw it coming. Just make sure you are away from houses.

28-Nov-17
Thanks. Ed F

30-Nov-17
Just to clarify, my tag was over-the-counter non-permit archery. I hunted unit 38M which includes Tucson and part of Sahuarita city limits. Some good size herds exist in Sahuarita making for some good archery hunting. I believe the season is in January with the OTC non-permit tag.

01-Dec-17
We’re going to be in Area 28. Three trad archers from Cali,new to hunting Arizona. So can’t help with any hot spots.....yet. ;)

15-Jan-18
Well??? where are all the updates and photos to go with this??? Just asking for help and then no correspondence? Come on guys!

17-Jan-18
I'm hunting 36B during the HAM hunt, but I'll be hunting with my bow...

19-Jan-18
We never actually made it to 28. My brother in law hooked us up with a guy who lives in 32. So we hunted around Benson a lot. My buddy got in to a group of about 20 and emptied his quiver TWICE and never hit anything. Man! I'd love to have a video of that! HAHAHAHA! My other buddy chased a small group of 6 or 7 for most of two days, but never got a shot. I didn't get into them at all. First trip, total learning experience. Great fun, but to trophy photos this year.

19-Jan-18

stykzz's embedded Photo
stykzz's embedded Photo
Super moon rising over the desert

19-Jan-18
Thanks to everyone for all the help! It is much appreciated!

22-Jan-18
anyone willing to share where a guy could see some pigs in 22?

18-Jan-21

Santaquinkid's embedded Photo
Utah sheds I found
Utah sheds I found
I have a Javalina tag in 16A, never hunted here before, where should I start? I live in Mesa, planning on camping at Mesquite Ranch near Yucca.

18-Jan-21

Utah sheds I found
Utah sheds I found
I have a Javalina tag in 16A, never hunted here before, where should I start? I live in Mesa, planning on camping at Mesquite Ranch near Yucca.

24-Jan-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
They’re fun to chase!

31-Jan-21
Nice dude! Nailed it with the recurve makes it sweeter. Bo appetit!

30-Apr-21
Spent one month hunting the Scottsdale Preserve and never saw one deer or javelina. Don’t waste your time hunting this area in 2020/2021. I have hunted archery since 1971 and never saw such poor game numbers.

30-Apr-21
Just curious but did you see much sign? Have you hunted this area in the past and seen animals? Many years ago I used to hunt this area a lot for quail and sometimes javelina. We would see an occasional deer but not many. I have avoided the preserve for a long time due to all the non-hunter activity and homes in the area. There a better options and they aren't that much further for me to travel. Better luck in the future.

30-Apr-21
All the tons of hiking/biking trails are what ruined it for wildlife.

• Sitka Gear