Treefarm 03-May-17
Badger Bucks 03-May-17
CaptMike 03-May-17
Live2hunt 03-May-17
happygolucky 03-May-17
dc-archer 04-May-17
Treefarm 04-May-17
03-May-17
I need to kill off some grass and weeds for tree planting and a food plot. Can someone recommend a good substitute for Roundup? Also how much of that product per gallon of water? I will be using an ATV sprayer. Thanks!

03-May-17
Why substitute?

Are you looking for "organic" options?

03-May-17
There are a number of different products. Look for something with 40% or more glycophosphate.

03-May-17
Capt- isn't gly and roundup the same thing?

03-May-17
Same product, very different price.

03-May-17
Yes, I believe the patent that Roundup held has expired and so there are a number of different brands now available. Shorty, the rate of application depends on vehicle speed and sprayer pressure. The product will have application suggestions on it and the sprayer should have come with a chart to help you figure out speed and sprayer pressure. In addition to pressure, there are many different nozzles available that affect coverage.

03-May-17
Roundup is really expensive. I'm looking to cut costs.

03-May-17
Glyphosate not "glycophosphate"

03-May-17
I use gly also. They claim no residual effect after 10 days. 2.5 gallons is like $45 if I remember from last yr. I will be sprayin plots this weekend.

03-May-17
What do you use for a carrier? I've always have used water but some guys I think use petro products like diesel.

03-May-17
I have had good luck with the cheap concentrate from Menards. Compare-N-SaveĀ® 41% Glyphosate Concentrate Weed & Grass Killer - 1 Gal. $19.47 Depending on desired concentration it claims to make up to 85 gallons. I put a 1/4 cup Dawn dish soap(for my 8 gal sprayer) to help as a agent and helps break down coating on leaves. It has worked great for me the past 3 years and very inexpensive.

03-May-17
The best option is to use simazine (Princep). You can spray it directly over planted trees. Simazine cover annual broadleaves as well as grasses and lasts a year or more depending on soil type.

Do not broadcast kill using glyphosate because you kill beneficial turf that keeps broadleaf plants down. Trust me, simazine. Works great on raspberry patches too.

03-May-17
Cornerstone Plus is another good generic substitute for Roundup

A good alternative to Princep is Oust XP. Generic for that is SFM 75 from genericherbicides.com I use it around all my fruit trees and any seedlings.

03-May-17
Thanks CM!

03-May-17
I wonder if that stuff would kill the moss that is in the carpet of my boat without wrecking the carpet. Any thoughts?

03-May-17
Generic Gly at 41% concentration at a farm supply store, with surfactant included is good.

I put this product in a ratio of 2% in my 50 gallon sprayer.

For example, 50 gallons times 128 ounces per gallon times .02 equates to 128 ounces which is one gallon of Gly for every 50 gallons of water.

I also spray this at 1.5% over clover to kill weeds and grass. It will cause a slight wilt for me but the clover comes right back with cooler wet weather and I saved money not using the expensive specialty herbicides. Be careful and spray only with the right weather conditions. Good luck!

03-May-17
I use generic Gly at 3-6oz per gallon of water depending on the required kill. I was taught to add AMS (ammonium sulfate) to the mix to get a better kill and I always do that. I have the liquid AMS and it requires like a tablespoon or something like that per gallon.

04-May-17
Does it kill honeysuckle bush?

04-May-17
Dc, On brush I mix in some Tordon RTU with the Gly and get excellent results.

04-May-17
Can I interject without insulting. I just want to state that use of Tordon makes me cringe. Picloram is a particularly nasty herbicide I would like removed for use. It is persistent and penetrates through soil to groundwater. I suggest glyphosate for honeysuckle as triclopyr does not cut it. Not saying Tordon doesn't work well, it does, but it is nasty. I have seen fish fillets test positive for picloram and that is troublesome, especially when there are suitable alternatives.

• Sitka Gear