SILVERADO 12-Jun-17
03-May-17

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo

03-May-17

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo

03-May-17
Are you sure your not hunting an goverment abandoned nike site??

04-May-17
that's going to be some set of horns LOL

04-May-17

N8tureBoy's Link
I'm not positive, but the doe in the top pic looks like she might be sporting a "bad hombre"...

10-Jun-17

SILVERADO's embedded Photo

10-Jun-17

10-Jun-17

10-Jun-17

11-Jun-17
Those guys look well fed, Silverado!

11-Jun-17
Doing my best, it's a year round obsession. Running 16 cams right now over mineral sites. More being setup weekly.

11-Jun-17
silverado,

Is this the time to set-up mineral sites and what type minerals do you use, no experience with this but looking to try it. THX R

11-Jun-17

SILVERADO's Link
I setup my mineral sites as early as possible, so the deer can find and utilize the nutrients the sooner the better. I Prefer just after snow thaw, but any time during the growing season will work. Deer usually decrease use around early October. I make my own mix trying to achieve optimal deer growth effects. In order to put large bone on, deer need calcium and phosphorus, as well as other key minerals but those are the biggest ones. If you are looking to place something out that will help the deer and get u tons of pictures, I have had great luck with trophy rock mineral four65, or the trophy rock. Depending on location determines which one I use. If it's real rocky area or swampy I use the rock and place it up on a low stump or rock. If it's a good soil area, I rake all the leaves and debri out about 5x5' area and work the soil loose until about 4-6" deep of loose soil. I then add the mineral or four65 and work that into the soil, use a metal rake and rake the area flat and setup a camera. I replenish every month to month and a half until end of august. Good luck, if you have any other questions I can do my best to answer. There is a guy on the main forum called nutrionist. He has tons of knowledge on the subject as well as a product called grandpa rays. Amazing product but you get beat up on shipping. If you go with a different product besides the four65 or grandpa rays make sure you check the ingredients. A lot of "deer minerals" on the market as extremely high in salt. They will attract deer but provide no nutrition and are a waste of money.

11-Jun-17

I try to keep my mineral ratios as close as I can to grandpa rays.

11-Jun-17

SILVERADO's Link
Here's a good read as well.

12-Jun-17
silverado,

Very good, Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, very good info! R

12-Jun-17
FYI- Here is a brief description of the key ingredients of deer minerals and the role that each key ingredient plays in assisting your deer to reach their full potential:

Calcium – Assists with bone and antler growth, teeth, and milk. Phosphorus - Assists with bone and antler growth, reproduction, and energy metabolism. Vitamin A – During the antler growing season and the reproductive period deer tend to require higher levels of Vitamin A. Vitamin D – Essential in assisting the deer in absorbing the calcium and assisting in the mineralization of bone. Vitamin E – Vitamin E interrelates with selenium and assists in the reproductive health and lactation in does. Magnesium – Assists in the growth of bones and antlers. Potassium - A key electrolyte to assist deer with water balance. Selenium – Important for the immune system. It's at the highest concentration in the tines /beams of developing bucks. Cobalt - Necessary for the formation of B-12 and aids in digestion. Copper - Plays a role in fertility and immunity. Manganese - Used in many enzyme functions related to energy and protein metabolism Zinc - Plays a role in the immune system, male reproduction, skin, and hoof health. Salt – Deer require extra salt in their diet during the growing season due to the change in a deers diet. However if the salt content in the mineral mix is too high, deer will seek out extra water and fill there stomachs with the extra water instead of high quality forage and nutrition.

• Sitka Gear