Drop Tine 08-May-17
Per48R 08-May-17
Jeff in MN 08-May-17
MF 08-May-17
Live2hunt 08-May-17
Jeff in MN 10-May-17
Two Feathers 10-May-17
07-May-17
My old Garmin Vista HCX isn't going to cut it much longer. Screen is too small and available maps are slim pickings. Need to buy one soon because I want it for my bear hunt in a week.

I think I have decided on the Garmin Montana 610. Reasons being:

4" screen (this is key to me), On sale at Cabelas right now for $350 and using Cabelas points is a plus, 8 meg camera, 3 AAA's plus comes with a lithium battery and charger

Don't think I want the 610T because I think being automobile compatible is the only advantage and costs more than the 610 that is on sale.

Anyone know any reason why I should or should not get the Montana 610? And, if not the Montana 610 what do you suggest?

08-May-17
This kind of a personal preference type item. I wold not go for the Montana strictly because it's a touch screen. They are finicky if it's raining or snowing. In addition I believe you have to take your gloves off every time you use it. I do have a garmin but it is not a touch screen and I love it. Hope this helps

08-May-17
This kind of a personal preference type item. I wold not go for the Montana strictly because it's a touch screen. They are finicky if it's raining or snowing. In addition I believe you have to take your gloves off every time you use it. I do have a garmin but it is not a touch screen and I love it. Hope this helps

08-May-17
I am in the same boat so interested in responses here. My garmin Legend HCX same issues. I am interested in hearing about GPS units that have both topo and aerial photos. Small screens won't cut it fo that.

I have been thinking that using the apps on my phone would give me the map option and I can transfer info later to my PC for more detail view. I realize that the GPS on a phone is not always accurate so I don't rely on it for property lines.

08-May-17
Maya, touch screens used to be a no glove thing but this one is supposed to be a glove friendly one. Maybe it is, maybe not. I still use an old fashioned flip phone so going to touch screen would be a new experience for me. I will take a look if there are any 4 inch screens out there that are not touch.

08-May-17
Jeff... I have a eTrex H you can have for $20, its brand new still in the box.

08-May-17

Drop Tine's Link
I like the 64s. It basically the same unit as my 320 that I use for tracking dogs. It's got raised buttons that are glove friendly. Good mapping, easy to use, and works under canopy. Down side i believe the screen is smaller than the Montana and or Oregon. You can buy refurbished units for a decent price and better warranty than the factory one. The link is where I buy my GPS's from. Great service.

08-May-17
Decide if you want touch screen or buttons. Cold weather gloves will make touchscreen extremely inconvenient. Warm weather glove may or may NOT work with a touch GPS. I have the etrex 20. Good basic button GPS. I just got a gpsmap 64s (with sensors). With buttons, has digital compass so you see directions when you spin it around. Notably larger and heavy then the etrex. Maybe too big, now that I have been using and etrex for decades. My vista hcx is on the table next to me. Still useful, put new maps on it a couple weeks ago, but no birdseye images.

08-May-17
MF, that is a great offer but looks like the same screen size as the one I have. I need bigger. I looked yours up on Amazon and they are secondary market priced at $100 to $200 so you could get more for yours.

08-May-17
Jeff... I know I could get more for mine but the offer at such a low price was for a friend! lol

08-May-17
Jeff, your going to give up your Sextant for navigation?

10-May-17
Yes L2H, the sextant is hard to use in the woods. Too old to climb trees to use that sextant.

I bought a Garmin Montana 680 and love it so far. Was gonna get the 610 but I got a coupon that gave me employee price on anything at Cabelas. I was gonna get the 610 that is on sale online but having the coupon I decided to go for the camera function in the 680. I should have gotten the 610, the camera in the 680 is junk. Cannot hold the unit still enough to take a clear picture. Apparently a very slow shutter and not worth the extra money.

My huntinggpsmaps.com Minnesota and Wisconsin land ownership map chips do NOT work in it but I should get updates to them anyway.

10-May-17
I almost never use my GPS. The few times and places I do I'm only interested in waypoints, azimuth and distance.

• Sitka Gear