Glunt@work 12-May-17
Stix 12-May-17
CO Oak 30-May-17
Orion 30-May-17
CO Oak 30-May-17
Walltenthunter 11-Jun-17
09-May-17
I wrote the following email to the wildlife commission at: [email protected]

You may copy and paste this email if you like.

I received emails back that agrred with me in principle and stated that more residents need to express their concerns on this issue I urge you in the highest possible terms to write to the and express your concerns on resident vs non resident license allocations:

To All,

After listening to commission meeting discussions on hard cap vs soft cap, one of the scenarios that was mentioned that in the current system, if in a 65/35 unit, the 35% of n/r is not achieved, the remainder may go to the resident allocation. I must point out that the same may happen in vice-versa (not reaching 65% quota-remainder may go to non-residents).

Also if these were to be made hard caps, and the 35% non-resident quota must be filled, it would mean that non-residents with lower preference numbers would be given preference over residents with higher preference point numbers. This would be a totally unacceptable result.

Our wildlife populations and wildlife management should not be held hostage to folks whose only interest is to make money. The greed associated with potential income to outfitters, landowners etc., is in no way mentioned in the North American Wildlife Management Model.

This issue would not even be considered if it wasn’t rooted in the love of money. Outfitters and landowners have made a choice to enter into this type of business to commercialize wildlife. Now with lobbying by these groups have reached a status on the wildlife commission with an agenda that is to only maximize income and cash flow. This agenda must be put into the correct perspective that it will not improve wildlife conservation one bit.

During the discussion, not one word was spoken about advantage or disadvantage to wildlife, conservation, or heritage, but the discussion was fully about budget, finances, and business. This is not the values that sportsmen and wildlife conservation professionals support. Our legacy should not be that we put budget, finance, and business over the health of our big game herds and the hunting heritage.

I stand as a resident sportsman in opposition to change allocations to hard caps or changing allocations unless it improves ALL allocations to 80/20 (resident 80,non-resident 20)

Thank You,

09-May-17
You might want to point out to the new commissioners that really are naive about all this that we are really only guaranteed 52% of the tag quota after the Landowners take 20% off the top. Wonder if Comm Bray would be for hard capping landowner vouchers and PLO tags to 65/35?

I for one don't understand how Bray & Horne can vote to change the system since it a huge conflict of interest since they stand to gain financially from it.

09-May-17
Maybe yourself or someone else would like to write and point this out. Repetitive emails from one person has now weight when compared to many emails from a variety of people.

09-May-17
I'll be writing as well as everyone I can get the word out to

10-May-17
Might be worth a follow up on the letters I wrote to the Legislature as well.

Colorado's Wildlife Commission system sucks.

10-May-17
Folks, The responses I received on the letter from the Chairman of the CPW Commission, The Director of CPW, and a CPW staff member. The all have a common theme: The need for residents to make their voices heard on this.

I won't post them without their permission as not to breech trust from a public servant.

I implore you, write an email to them!

10-May-17
Working on something now. I guess I don't understand the current R vs NR limits very well now. I know that most states are significantly more restrictive than Colorado for NR restrictions and I think I understand which units get the 80/20 split, but trying to look up more info on this "65/35" split.

10-May-17
OK, found the references. Working on a letter.

10-May-17
You should listen to the presentation on allocations off the commission website, and then the testimony before drafting a letter, it will only help you.

10-May-17
I have decide to post their responses partially, without expressions of opinions on the issue that I feel were expressed to me in trust:

Bob Broscheid - DNR

Hi Steven, thanks for your comments. .......... it would be wise for those people who share them to attend future Commission Meetings and express them.

I can assure you that the Commission is taking this issue very seriously and will not reach a decision without very careful and exhaustive consideration and deliberation. This does not mean that folks should not get engaged or hope others handle it.............

Bob Bob Broscheid

Pribyl - DNR, James

Mr XXXXX, ..............................I would encourage the resident sportsmen-women community to make their voice heard to the commission.

Please email me anytime you wish. Jim Pribyl, Chair

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Prenzlow - DNR

Steve, thanks for the note and the thoughts............................... Encourage your continued participation! Dan

Sent from my iPhone

10-May-17
Good letter and spot on. I will send one as well and fully agree that all units in colorado should be split at 80/20 res to non res.

Unfortunately the other side is well financed and organized. They will not stop banging this drum and are in it for all the wrong reasons and selling out local hunters in the process.

Does anyone know if there is a colorado resident hunters group or any group that is representing resident hunters on this? The outfitters have a direct line to and the ear of the commission - unfortunately that is something "joe" hunter does not have..

10-May-17

10-May-17
Part of the issue is, as stated above, is that many think it is actually a 65/35 split overall. The portion available to resident hunters applying for a plains deer tag is under 50% of the total pool.

Anyone know the res/nonres ratio for OTC tags purchased?

10-May-17
I am working on a letter, but need a little education. Does anyone know what percentage of hunts are 80/20 and which are 65/35. I have been looking at the drawing recaps and it appears that the landowner tags always take the first 20%, then the split is done with the remaining allocation, resulting in the various percentages seen in the charts. This always results in the resident pool actually being less than the advertised quota. It also seems like the outfitters will argue that the landowner tags are equally available to residents and non-residents[ even though the vast majority will be bought by non-residents] I'm guessing that proponents of more non-resident tags will also point out that Ranching for Wildlife Tags are only available to residents. This is actually a valid point, but doesn't change the fact that between the OTC tags in archery and 2nd and 3rd seasons, along with the LE allocations we already have by far the most out of state elk licenses. I'm also not certain exactly what has been proposed. Do they want to move all hunts to 65/35? Do they want a hard cap? I am also interested, as Glunt asked, to learn the res/non-res ratio for over the counter tags. In addition to sending a letter I will encourage my hunting friends to make their voices heard as well.

10-May-17
If you look at the antlered RFW licenses, its 80% - 90% to the ranch and the rest to the public. I would assume that over 1/2 of the antlered licenses are currently utilized by nonresidents. I'm not a fan of using wildlife to subsidize private businesses, including the RFW program, but at least there is some public opportunity that comes from it.

Residents do get access to 100% of the antlerless tags on RFW, but those aren't the higher demand tags that are the real issue.

Here is the regulation for the 35% NR cap and for he 20% NR cap that they aren't implementing on some hunt codes that have reached the 6 point resident threshold:

Article 1 Sect 206 Unless there is an insufficient number of resident applications, nonresident hunters shall receive no more than 35% of available deer and elk licenses for hunt codes requiring fewer than six preference points for resident hunters to draw in the regular drawing, and no more than 20% of available deer and elk licenses for hunt codes requiring six or more preference points for resident hunters to draw in the regular drawing as calculated using a three-year average for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 limited license draws. These drawing limitations do not apply to the issuance of Private Land Only and Ranching for Wildlife licenses.

10-May-17
Thank you, I sent an email today, I copied most of yours Stix, but added that if the commission is unwilling to cap all non-resident limited license quotas to 20% they should at a very minimum, update the <6 preference point 3 year average rule from 2007-2009 to 2014-16 and should continue to increment the years in a yearly lagging fashion in order to keep up with increasing demand for limited licenses and hunt codes. I said the same should be done for hybrid tags 10 pp rule...

10-May-17
Been doing more research. Colorado allows more non-resident licenses than most of the western states:

Arizona - 10% maximum NR tags and 10% maximum for total sheep tags Idaho - 10% maximum NR tags New Mexico - 10% maximum NR tags with an outfitter, 6% without an outfitter Montana - 10% maximum NR tags for draw tags Wyoming - 15% maximum NR elk tags, 20% maximum NR deer, antelope, sheep, moose and goat tags California - 1 NR elk tag, 1 NR Antelope tag, 10% maximum NR sheep tags Oregon - 5% maximum NR deer and elk tags, 3% NR antelope tags, 10% NR sheep and goat tags. Utah - 10% maximum NR tags Nevada - 10% maximum NR tags

I think with the exception of one or two, these are maximum with no minimum or "set aside" non resident tags.

Colorado cuts 20% or 25% of the tags off the total allocation in cut one that go to landowners for their own use or to sell. Figure a 50/50 split on those tags.

Then the 65/35 or 80/20 split kicks in on the remainder.

Basically, for most of the draws, residents are stuck with 45% to 60% of the available tags.

10-May-17
Thanks for the research guys. It looks like Treeline is being pretty generous to say that "Colorado allows more non-resident licenses than most of the western states. " It seems pretty clear that we have more non-resident license allocation in terms of percentage and total numbers. I'm sure it's not even close when you factor in all the OTC non-resident elk tags sold. So I think we should try as hard as possible to convince the Commission not to give up any more tags to non-residents.

One note on the RFW tags. I have worked at 3 different ranches in this program, all of which are in OTC elk units. In these cases the antlered hunts could have been sold anyway [ with a few exceptions ] so there is no real creation of extra tags, except for the public draw tags. These consist of a number equal to the guided hunts, about 85% cow, 15% antlered. This actually represents a pretty significant number of opportunities for residents only to hunt on property they would never get on otherwise. There are other aspects of the program that can be debated, but this opportunity is real and utilized by many Colorado residents. I can't comment on the RFW ranches in restricted units, as I don't know exactly how the number of tags are allocated, but the majority of ranches in the program are in OTC elk units and provide a lot of hunts to Colorado residents. Thanks again for the information and good luck to us all. I'm going to write my email to the commission right now.

10-May-17
I was under the impression that RFW public draw tags are only for residents is that not the case?

10-May-17
RFW draw tags are resident only. The tags issued to the ranch that they can set their own season for are where the nonresidents get opportunity. Also, Brun's point about some RFW ranches being OTC for elk is a good point. Not really losing any tags there but I can't say how it effects opportunity for limited species like deer and antelope.

11-May-17
The RFW program allows landowners to hunt for 3 months that they get to pick for the guided hunters that are typically paying for a guided hunt within that 3 month period. The public draw hunts usually a 10-day period. Depending on the ranch, the public draw share of RFW antlered or either sex deer, elk and antelope tags is somewhere between 10% and 20%, the public gets 100% of the female tags, 40% of bear tags, and 50% of sheep and moose tags. There are some issues with the RFW program but it is firmly entrenched and the landowners get a huge benefit from the program.

11-May-17
The RFW program allows landowners to hunt for 3 months that they get to pick for the guided hunters that are typically paying for a guided hunt within that 3 month period. The public draw hunts usually a 10-day period. Depending on the ranch, the public draw share of RFW antlered or either sex deer, elk and antelope tags is somewhere between 10% and 20%, the public gets 100% of the female tags, 40% of bear tags, and 50% of sheep and moose tags. There are some issues with the RFW program but it is firmly entrenched and the landowners get a huge benefit from the program.

11-May-17
More response from staff and commissioners:

Thanks for input. Could really use your help in person at meetings. The outfitters as you know are there in person in force..............

All the best,

John Howard Commissioner Parks & Wildlife

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the forward....................

Patt Dorsey Southwest Region Manager, Colorado Parks and Wildlife

11-May-17
I sent emails to each of the commissioners individually.

Below is the text of my emails:

I just listened to the May 4th and 5th meeting and have significant concerns with respect to your discussions regarding Resident (R) and Non-Resident (NR) hunting license allocations. It sounded like the commission was considering changing the process to a “hard cap” for the NR tag allocations (65/35 or 80/20 splits) versus the current “soft cap”. This change would, in effect, set aside the NR big game tag allocation to the 35% or 20% amount under the current splits.

Currently, the first cut to the total big game tag allocation for a DAU is through the landowner voucher program. This results in a reduction of available tags to resident hunters in the application system by 20% west of I-25 and 25% east of I-25. These tags are typically sold by the landowners. I am unsure of the split on the sale of these tags but would assume an approximate 60 NR/40 R split. The NR tag numbers are possibly higher as these tags are pushed on many websites and thru outfitters to non-resident hunters to purchase and come to Colorado for a guided hunt.

The 65/35 or 80/20 split then addresses the remaining 80% of the tags. Resident applicants are not allocated 65% or 80% of the total tags, we have already been reduced below that by the removal of the Landowner Vouchers. These Vouchers can then be sold 100% to Non-Residents.

The current R/NR split looks first at maximum points and fills out the resident and non-resident tags starting with the max points in both until the non-resident quota is achieved. Once the NR quota is achieved for a hunt code, it works down through the R applicants by points. This process potentially reduces the number of points it takes for a Resident to draw a particular hunt code versus a Non-Resident.

If this was changed to a “hard cap” or set-aside quantity of tags specifically for NR’s, it would potentially be possible for NR’s to draw hunt codes with fewer points than residents.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

Colorado currently is by far the most generous to Non-Residents of any western state in the availability of hunting permits:

State Non-Resident Allocation Non-Resident “set-aside” or minimum Arizona 10% all species No California 1 NR elk, 1NR antelope 10% sheep tags No Colorado 35% less than 6 PP’s 20% more than 6 PP’s No restrictions on OTC, private land only, or leftover tags No Colorado LO vouchers and RFW vouchers Up to 100% No Idaho 10% all species No Montana 10% all species No Nevada 10% all species No New Mexico 10% all species w/Outfitter 6% all species w/o Outfitter Yes, if not drawn go back to R pool Oregon 5% deer and elk 3% antelope 10% sheep and goat No Utah 10% all species Yes, if not drawn by NR, go back to R pool Washington No N/A Wyoming 15% NR elk 20% NR deer, antelope, sheep, moose, goat No

Why would the concept of setting aside NR tags even be a concept for consideration?

The concept of “hard cap” or “set-aside” tags for NR hunters as well as the LO vouchers are obviously being lobbied by landowners and outfitters who have the most to gain. Management of wildlife in this State should not be held hostage to greed associated with groups that stand to gain financially (landowners and outfitters), nor is it ethical for members of those groups to hold positions that allow them to vote themselves additional benefit from resources that belong to all of the people of this state. Listening to the discussion, everything was focused on budget, finance and business with nothing about wildlife conservation or resident sportsmen or hunting heritage. This agenda must be put into perspective.

I realize there is sensitivity with CPW and the Wildlife Commission with respect to the recent failure of HB 17-1321. It is difficult for many resident sportsmen to understand why CPW is in financial difficulty when Colorado currently makes more than any other state on annual hunting license sales. It is doubly hard to swallow with the extreme overcrowding and reduction in quality of the hunt that many of us have seen over time.

Lessening restrictions on Non-Resident hunting license allocations will not help you to get the voting resident sportsmen and sportswomen to support increases to resident hunting license fees.

I would be extremely supportive of significantly lowering NR tag allocations and removal of OTC tag availability to NR’s to be more in line with other western states.

As a resident sportsman, I am in opposition to any increases to NR allocations.

11-May-17
That is very well written. For those interested here is the email addresses to the wildlife commissioners individually:

'[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'

11-May-17
I also sent a copy to Bob Broscheid. The table kind of got all jumbled up copying over to here, but you get the idea. Hopefully, it will shed a little light on the issue to some on the commission.

Most states treat their residents pretty well on the draw systems with the majority of them limiting NR's to 10% maximum (no minimum).

Colorado allows and sells more NR tags than any of other the western states.

Colorado takes in the most revenue in hunter license fees of any state or territory. Far more than the other Western States.

Why is Colorado Parks and Wildlife having financial difficulties?

They spend less on wildlife management for many species than many of the other western states. Pretty lucky to have the animal species and habitat that we do have here.

The majority of the units in Colorado have unlimited OTC bull elk tags available for residents and non-residents.

There are significant hunter crowding issues on public lands in most seasons.

Colorado does not allow hunting and fishing on ~3M acres of State Trust Lands. The other Western States allow access to their STL's for hunting and fishing and require non-consumptive users to purchase a pass to access those properties.

Age structure, animal quality, and overall hunt quality experience is poor when compared to other western states for most species.

CPW needs to address these issues in a way that is beneficial to resident sportspersons before the resident sportspeople support hunting license fee increases.

Issuance of more tags to NR hunters is definitely not the answer.

11-May-17
Done. Hope it helps.

11-May-17
I have sent mine in as well.

12-May-17
I got a quick response to my letter from Mr. Pribyl. I made a lot of the same point that others here have listed. Colorado already has the most non-resident opportunity to hunt big game. Very limited access to State Trust lands. Actual percentage of tags to residents is less than the 80% or 65% listed because of 20% to landowners. I encouraged them to look at alternative ways to solve financial problems. I also pointed out that the outfitters and landowners flood meetings with themselves, their families and employees, creating an illusion of greater support than really exists for their agendas His response was: Dear Mr........... In general, I agree with you. He also wanted to know where I live in Colorado. I think we should encourage everyone we can to write. I am going to contact some of my hunting friends that don't participate in any forums to write.

12-May-17
I also pointed out my wife's "non-resistance" to hikers paying a reasonable fee - perhaps just a habitat stamp? 'Not sure sure how much that might help, but it seems only fair that trail use isn't a freebie.

12-May-17
I sent mine. Same basic points:

The current split actually allows nonresident access to a little under or over 50% of the total pool for most limited opportunities and popular species.

We already give up much more opportunity than residents of similar states. Sacrificing so much opportunity in limited units and dealing with the high nonresident use in OTC units are already two ways residents are responsible for Colorado's high license revenue numbers.

Although resident hunters understand that costs increase, gaining support for that will only be harder if more opportunities are taken away.

Economic benefit from wildlife is ok and certainly an important part of our economy. We need to be careful that is doesn't become the most important part. The model that has allowed Colorado, and the US and Canada in general, to be successful has room for economic benefit but the resource and public access to that resource are the foundation.

I have no issue with nonresidents, I hunt other states myself. They pay their way and are important. When I look at what groups benefit from our wildlife and compare it to what those groups contribute to the costs of management, nonresidents are carrying their weight. Other groups benefit without helping foot the bill.

12-May-17
Another reply from commissioner (sportsmens rep) regarding my email sent. My question was if the emails sent to the dnr_cpwcomm address reaches them. It's sounds like they get grouped with the thousands of emails, and he noted the importance of having someone testify on public hunters behalf:

John Howard - DNR

I'm sure they do amongst the thousands that we get every meeting. If public hunters don't show up in person, perhaps by banding groups together under one spokesman representing groups, it will be the outfitters voices who are loudest.

All the best,

John Howard Commissioner Parks & Wildlife

30-May-17

CO Oak's Link
FYI, the resident/nonresident allocation discussion is on the June Commission meeting agenda for 11:10 am next Thursday (June 8) in Pagosa Springs. See the link above.

30-May-17
It looks like public comment is on Friday the 9th.

30-May-17
Comments on agenda topics can be done during the commission discussion on that topic by submitting a blue comment request form at the meeting.

11-Jun-17
12 years or so ago I represented sportsmen in the Big Game License Allocation Working Group. That led to the Fee Bill and Habitat Stamp. Back then there was zero interest in stakeholders in increasing LP, which years later did increase from 15% to 20% on west slope units and to 25% on eastern plains units. We all recognize the value of both NR and R in hunting heritage yet in any measure Colorado is exceeding generous in limited license entitlements to NR. I wrote the CP&W Commission for this June's meeting and explained various points including if there were any merit in revisiting license allocation in terms of soft cap and hard cap that resident hunters value and input in the Colorado economy would need extensively factored. Every NR that wants to hunt Colorado for elk and likely deer too, can do so. OTC on elk like I do most years, and entering more that PP on deer where supplemental draws and August left overs are always there for some hunt codes. I also mentioned there was much more justification in releasing new 80/20 migrations to resident benefit that were frozen, both in terms of past policy and fairness to resident hunters. There is room for all in hunting but this is Colorado and resident hunters support rural and urban economies 365 days a year, generate the businesses and employment driving Colorado, pay taxes and participate in all qualities of life including wildlife and fisheries advocacy. Charlie Meyers was a friend of mine and his wisdom imparted on various trips was that Colorado money interests in wildlife would never stop. The man from Louisiana was right.

• Sitka Gear