BIGHORN 08-Jun-17
Seahorse 08-Jun-17
PECO 09-Jun-17
Treeline 09-Jun-17
huntingbob 11-Jun-17
jlmatthew 11-Jun-17
BIGHORN 12-Jun-17
09-May-17
Saw that the legislation is now trying to push through a bill giving free licenses to vets. Given the current budget issues and the typical unforeseen issues with such legislation, we should all be cautious.

I am extremely thankful for our vets and their service, but free licenses are not sustainable nor good for wildlife.

10-May-17
Speaking as a vet who takes advantage of the lifetime free small game/ fishing license, I agree with your concerns.

10-May-17
Do you have a link for this legislation being written?

10-May-17
Hey, I am a vet............. of the animal kind. Would I be included???? :-)

10-May-17
http://kdvr.com/2017/05/09/lawmakers-consider-giving-free-hunting-fishing-licenses-to-veterans/

Is where I saw it...

10-May-17

Glunt@work's Link
Given the current budget situation, the CPW budget is probably not the right one to use creating a "thank you" to our vets. I'm ok with recognizing their service with a break on a State fee, but it should come from the general budget that everyone contributes to.

10-May-17
The way it's written the State would be picking up the tab. Read the fiscal note

10-May-17
Let's hope that doesn't pass.

10-May-17
I read the fiscal note and see that the general fund will be replacing the lost revenue. That makes it more palatable but it still gives up $500,000.00 in federal PR money that makes up part of what the general fund would be replacing.

10-May-17
This budget shortfall is exactly why we pushed so hard a few years ago to not merge parks with the wildlife but politicians aren't very smart. Jerry Sonnenberg couldn't wait to merge.

10-May-17
My take as a veteran is that I appreciate the gesture but it would be tough to accept with the CPW budget the way it is. If anything results from this it will likely be just one license per year, probably deer. Or, maybe a slight discount on tags, something along those lines.

08-Jun-17
As a disable vet I am not in favor of giving out free licenses that are paid for by any funds. However, it would be nice if there was a unit that had very easy access and set up for ONLY disabled vets that pay for their licenses. At the current time I am starting to give my son and grandchildren all of my hunting gear and weapons because I can no longer walk the mountains nor carry anything out by myself. I still have the urge to hunt but know that I need help and can't compete with other active hunters. JMHO.

08-Jun-17
Bighorn,

We used to have a disabled hunt at a coal mine that I worked at. There were tons of elk on the property in the rifle season in the reclamation, and sometimes some great mule deer. I helped the guys out and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Not sure if they still do that (been about 20 years ago). It might be worth calling around some of the coal mines up here in NW Colorado to see if anyone still has a program like that.

08-Jun-17
Thanks Travis!

08-Jun-17
Appreciate the service, but this is NOT the right venue for a freebee.

09-Jun-17
I'm curious how many Vets are here that are residents and hunt, will it actually make a difference to give these guys a free tag, maybe just the OTC w/o caps. Considering there is less than 0.05% of the entire U.S. population on Active duty, and less than 8% of the total U.S. population who have served.

09-Jun-17
I would be for reduced price licenses for active duty and veterans and free licenses for disabled veterans.

Colorado already makes more money than any other state in hunting license sales.

The budget shortfalls are not due to the revenue generation side of the equation.

Those who are and who have served deserve recognition for protecting our way of life.

11-Jun-17
As another disabled vet..I would agree that all of us should pay for our tags. Maybe the gesture could be used in another fashion? Maybe a lifetime habitat stamp?

11-Jun-17
We already are exempt from purchasing a habitat stamp if you have the lifetime VA smallgame/fishing license for being rated 60% or higher

12-Jun-17
I'm rated at 70 and I would have to say that I probably should be 90 or 100 but I don't want to go through all of the hassle with the VA anymore. Money is not the problem. Hunting in a terrain friendly place is the problem. I think there are many able bodied hunters out there that would lend a hand to the disabled. I know that when I was healthier I would have given a hand to another bow hunter.

Think about this for a second. If you are enjoying the great outdoors and climbing up and down the mountains and, all of a sudden you can't do it anymore. The pain and frustration that you feel when losing your favorite thing to do over takes you.

• Sitka Gear