Funky Moose Code???
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
coelker 10-May-17
Treeline 10-May-17
MathewsMan 10-May-17
coelker 10-May-17
10-May-17
So looking at cow moose tags, I see several NR tags that appear to have been drawn as second third and even 4th choices? How can residents with points and first choice applications not draw but a NR can pull a tag as a 4th choice?

10-May-17
Coelker,

They are actually allocated as non resident tags so the non resident and resident tag drawings are separate for separate tags. The NR has to pay a lot more for a moose tag than a R so not many put in for them. There are usually some bull tags where a NR actually has a better chance than a R to draw as well.

I remember a weird one several years back where a Utah guy got in trouble for applying as a non-resident in Utah for a moose tag and drew it. The odds for non-resident were significantly better. Not sure how that one turned out...

Wonder if it specifies in our regulations that you have to apply as a resident for moose if you are a resident? I have max points, but they don't seem to make any difference. Could actually apply for cow moose as a non resident for 2nd - 4th choices...

10-May-17
Lots of years the Non-resident Moose Cow tags do not even get applied for and the allocation goes to residents.

A non-resident potentially can draw a Cow tag with 0 PP's first time going into the draw. Based on Demand and obviously price-

10-May-17
Mathewsman, That is exactly what I saw in the codes. There were NR drawing the licenses with 3rd and 4th choices.

It would be interesting to see if there is a statute saying you had to apply as a resident.

• Sitka Gear