Will 11-May-17
Jebediah 11-May-17
MA_Bowhunter 11-May-17
Ungie01201 12-May-17
drslyr 12-May-17
MA_Bowhunter 13-May-17
10-May-17

MA_Bowhunter's Link
I had a Jake come in this morning and beat up my Jake decoy, and then, umm, something else, starting at just before 1 minute in the vid. First, after all that beating the decoy, I just cant imagine he couldn't figure out it is made of rubber and not a live turkey. Second, with the breeding hen right next to it, why get "involved" with the Jake - seems like a big duh to me.

10-May-17
I would have been tempted to shoot him just for being stupid...

10-May-17
Bruce, wish you were with me today - it was kind of fun as this one was way off to the South and I clearly called him in. I even saw him pass by and then I called him back. When he came back, he came in so fast and so directly that i didn't have time to turn the camera on until he was at the decoys. I knew he was Jake from way off from the strangled sound of his gobbles.

I took the ground blind down. Let me know if you plan on heading over there again.

10-May-17
This is Massachusetts. Things like that are ok here for some reason???

11-May-17
Hahaha.. that's a good one Let's Go. I think it is a dominance thing... but certainly strange. I may have done the same thing Bruce. I actually watched a big tom breed a hen behind my house the other day.

11-May-17
Ungie, the part I didn't let on to yet was that I'm still waiting for my first turkey. That probably just increases that temptation. Him being stupid is just a convenient excuse :-)

11-May-17
I've always been told by "dog people" that dog's do that as a dominance thing... So perhaps that's what the Jake was doing... After getting beat up all spring, he figured he'd show that deke who was boss... Figure, we all feel like they are smart because the "beat" us so often, but with brains the size of what, a pea... There cant be that much going on in there :)

Or, maybe it's just his thing...

11-May-17
Vaguely along these lines, I believe cows (i.e. cows--not bulls, not steers) will mount each other when one is in heat. Farmers stick a pressure-sensitive "heat patch" on the cow's hindquarters to see if she's been mounted (by another cow) as a way of telling which cow is where in her cycle. That's 100% of my knowledge of the dairy industry, and I've waited years for an excuse to trot it out. Thanks MA_Bowhunter!

11-May-17
jeb, anythinG i can do to help a fellow bowhunter share his knowledge...

12-May-17
Bruce, Now that is some patience then! I'll still shoot jakes sometimes... it depends on how the season is going or who is with me (my daughters) etc. I shot a big one last year... I wasn't going to, but he and his friends came in tight... I was just watching, but when one gobbled in my face at about 10 yards, the temptation was just too much and I had an extra tag.... It sure was fun.

12-May-17
MA bowhunter, also a filmer here. Just curious. Played your vid on youtube on the 1080 setting. Was the camera lens fogged? Not tryna insult ya.

13-May-17
No insult. The camera is a gopro, the lighting wasn't good, and i have terrible editing skills. Basically, I'm a rookie at filming, and i don't really know why the quality wasn't better.

• Sitka Gear