N8tureBoy 12-May-17
Dr. Williams 13-May-17
Paul 13-May-17
Bigbuckbob 13-May-17
Dr. Williams 13-May-17
Dr. Williams 13-May-17
Gene 13-May-17
11-May-17
Just listening to a call-in show on NPR about CT Bears.... One great suggestion is issuing a fine any time an officer is called out to a property because of a bear and it is found that the landowner has done something to attract them. Something not too big.

I like it. Maybe just a warning the first time, but then $50 and ratchet it up every time. No warnings for feeding them.

It'll be interesting to hear the caller input on hunting them.

11-May-17
I'd go along with that ... IF the state would use the money to pay us back for each chicken they killed (10), and coop they ripped apart (1), and bee hive they destroyed (2).

Pretending that the problem is always the homeowner avoids taking responsibility for this state NOT MANAGING THE BEARS. The Bears I have come into contact with show no fear of humans whatsoever. It's time for the politicians to sack up and allow the biologists to do their jobs. If they don't, someone is going to get attacked.

Call your State Senators! The Bear Bill is on the calendar and needs to be called for a vote. Ask them to push for a vote and to support a hunt (as supported by the DEEP).

11-May-17
No.Subject to many open ticket /fines. I planted apple trees a few years ago for the family, deer and turkeys . It's been taken over by bears. Now you propose to penalize/fine me if they want? Did anybody see the letters to the editor yesterday in the Hartford Courant "Bear Facts" It finally stood up for the DEEP and reality?

11-May-17
I have enough potential fines to worry about, We don't need another potential fine on the books, it's bad enough that my daughter wants to be a doctor and I'm forcing her to go to law school to keep me out of jail.

11-May-17
Not legitimate ag purposes; just stuff like unsecured garbage, bird-feeders, pet food... Stuff like that where people should stinkin' KNOW BETTER.

Though if I had schickens or bees around, I would also have a hot-wired fence.

Just sayin'....

12-May-17
Maybe people should know better but I'm all regulationed out. I'm choking on regulations. Just to drive to work and get tools to a job site. with a pick up truck, I have to comply with the same regulations as a tractor trailer driver. The only thing I don't have to do that they do is is to pay for random surprise drug testing on myself unless I want to get a CDL License. If I want to carry a 2 0z can of spray paint or Wd40 or a chain saw to a job, I have to have a special rider on my insurance policy that covers haz mat. The list goes on. That's just getting started, This is all before I leave the house, once I get to the job, there is a whole nother mountain of regulations that I get jammed down my throat that buries me in administrative paperwork for the privledge of working for the State or municipalities. then find time to actually get the job done. More regulations and potential fines?....Not interested. If the bears become too much of a problem...shoot 'em

12-May-17
Any excuse to fine the citizens is not beyond our screwed up state government.

12-May-17
How about the state has to pay out for property damaged caused by managed wildlife?

12-May-17
That sucks, bb. Sounds like it was just an idea from a radio caller who wanted to try and put some of the responsibility on the knuckleheads who contribute to the problem by not changing their behavior and then calling the DEEP to complain that the bears keep destroying their bird feeders.

The challenge is that only a small portion of the state is overrun by bears, but representatives from all of the unaffected areas have to vote on the bill and most of the calls they get from their constituents are probably from anti hunters, not people with legit bear complaints.

12-May-17

Paul's Link

12-May-17
N8tureBoy, That may be, but I'm going to cite the old adage, be careful what you wish for. The last thing anyone needs is more regs and more fines on the books.

12-May-17
bb - Trust me, I'm not in favor of more regs or more fines either. And Pat, it didn't sound like the caller was saying we should fine people for putting up bird feeders. I was just saying that I can understand what the caller must have been trying to say. If I put out a bird feeder in the spring and it gets destroyed by a bear and I complain to the DEEP and they send out someone who tells me not to fill my bird feeder in the spring, and then I keep refilling the feeder and calling the DEEP to my house every time it gets damaged, maybe I'm a bigger part of the problem than the bear is.

13-May-17
Wild Bill. So the state would have to pay for damage caused by vehicle collisions with deer? The state is broke first of all. And given your suggestion, in lieu of raising taxes, seems that would give the state incentive to drive deer, bear, and other wildlife to minuscule densities so they wouldn't cause damage and the state wouldn't have to pay out. Doesn't sound like a good deal for CT hunters in the long run.

13-May-17
Back In Your hole dr nothing to see here

13-May-17
Will, the state could get a federal grant and that doesn't cost the taxpayers anything. The fed just pulls money from their asses,.....Like me.

13-May-17
We need to cut state spending! We need to make the state pay? Which is it? Where is "the state" aka CT taxpayers going to find this money? Increased taxes and/or license fees. Think guys.

13-May-17
Additionally, the DEEP is trying to put a season out there to manage bears. The management of this public resource is now in the hands of the legislature, who are public servants voted in to their posts by, you know, the public, very few of whom are hunters...

13-May-17
Love the scary clown method of scaring them away. That one gave me a good laugh!

• Sitka Gear