Ungie01201 16-May-17
BruceP 16-May-17
Jebediah 16-May-17
Moons22 16-May-17
awalk228 16-May-17
DeanMan 16-May-17
UrbanHunter 16-May-17
12-May-17
On a real nice Tom. Checked my normal spot last night on the way home. No turkeys. So this morning I decided to go to a back up spot that usually has turkeys but for some reason I haven't been seeing them this year. Pull in at 445 and hear a gobble. Quickly get set up and start calling a bit. He shut up around 6 but the last gobble he let out was pretty close. At 630 I can hear him coming through the woods. Of course he comes in the complete opposite way I was planning for him to come in. He was standing at 20 yards looking at my line hen decoy, but I had no shot there. He turned and started walking away. That is when I stood up, drew, and let it fly. The arrow was sticking in him but he ran like he wasn't even hit. I tried running him down but I'm not the fastest guy out there. I backed out and got help from a few buddies. We searched high and low for that gobbler, with no luck finding him.

12-May-17

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo

12-May-17
Put an arrow through one a few years back, took the wing off on the off side, found a bloody arrow 100yards away, never found the tom. Won't use a bow anymore for turkey.

12-May-17
Quit using a gun yrs. ago for turkeys. There's a saying in the bow turkey woods. Hitem high watchem die. Hitem low watchem go.

12-May-17
Horizontal line from were the beard comes out and a vertical line from were the legs are and when the lines cross is where I am or neck shot.drslyr nailed it.. Moons keep your chin up buddy, if it makes you feel any better I missed 2 with the gun this year and one of them is a 3 or 4 year old that I have been hunting for two years! I knew everything this bird did and i BLEW IT!!!!! Anyway tomorrow is another day.

12-May-17
That sucks moons, but it happens. Sorry man. Get back out there and give it hell tomorrow.

12-May-17
Thanks guys. I know it happens to everyone, but I hate the feeling. Got a gobble this afternoon at another spot. I'll be in there tomorrow morning with the shotgun. Actually my brand spankin, never been shot, Remington 11-87 that I just got! Hoping to break it in tomorrow. Good luck to anyone else going out.

13-May-17
Turkeys 2, moons 0!! A gobbler and a jake came in this morning, but hung up around 40 yards. They were definitely educated birds. As soon as they turned to leave I let it crack. Miss. Damn it!! Haha oh well. Time to chase stripers and soon enough get back in the tree.

13-May-17
Moons try Winchester Long beard ammo. Tightest pattern I ever had. Also a red dot scope on it will get your pattern right on. Gives you tunnel vision though, only thing I hate about using a scope for turkeys.

15-May-17
I feel your pain, Moons. I had a bad experience (straight up miss) with a tom at 40 yards last year, so I made the jump to 3.5" shells this year and actually took the time to really pattern my gun before the season. Let's just say the difference is noticeable: I now get excellent patterns out to 50 yards. I'm not saying I'd shoot that far, but 40 is no problem. Leave some stripers for the rest of us...

15-May-17
Thanks for the tips guys

15-May-17
I would second taking the time to pattern the gun. It's remarkable how various brands and loads can produce very different patterns. The part that sucks is you often end up buying several different loads until you find what your gun likes. Not to mention the fact that your shoulder is also sore by the time you finish. I know 3" turkey loads kick like a mule, I can't imagine what the 3.5"s are like. Or maybe I'm just a wimp...

16-May-17

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Didn't blow it this morning!

16-May-17
Very nice Moons!!!! Nice bird... what town?

16-May-17
Beautiful bird moons. Congrats.

16-May-17
Fantastic!

16-May-17
Thanks guys!

16-May-17
Awesome bird!

16-May-17
Way to go Moons! Congratulations!

16-May-17
Nice!!