grizzlyadam 16-May-17
extreme 17-May-17
13-May-17

>>---CTCrow--->'s Link
Coming to a tree stand near you.

13-May-17

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I walked into a Mama and two Cubs this morning while Turkey hunting. She sent them up a tree 20 yatds away and was snapping her jaw. It was time to leave. It's my 3rd encounter this spring season.

13-May-17
Can't out run them, out swim them or out climb them

13-May-17
You can out shoot them.

13-May-17
Do you carry a hand gun with you ?

13-May-17
No shotgun. I do carry during bow season even though it's against the law.

13-May-17
I think that load of #5's, 3 inch mag from my 12 gauge at close range ought to stop any bear that might wish to do me harm.

13-May-17
I use Nitro Ammo 3 1/2" #4,5&7 mix. Specially made for my Benelli and choke. It will stop a Bear and make him think.

13-May-17
CTCrow - was that a light saber I saw in the first few seconds of that clip?

13-May-17
I wouldn't be admitting I'm violating hunting laws on a site that the public, law enforcement, and anti hunters can freely access. Do what you gotta do, but announcing it on a public forum is not advisable. To me, potentially losing my hunting and fishing privledges is incentive enough to play by the rules.

13-May-17
Doc, It's a stupid law, it should be changed - no reason I shouldn't be able to carry while Bow hunting. I hunt with my 23 Year old Daughter and she's so afraid because of our numerous Bear encounters. If the State wont open a Bear season, I will protect my Daughter and myself. If a CO wants to fine me for carrying, I will be in Court fighting it.

13-May-17
Nehunter I would too If I started to see them better to get a fine then be dead , and that's what its going to take before they change the law .So If I am a hiker and have a permit I can carry in the woods but if I have my bow I cant . Real smart .Steve

13-May-17
Steve - BINGO! WELL SAID.

13-May-17
A fine may not be the only punishment for that offense. If you were to have your hunting privileges revoked in CT, you would also lose your right to fish and trap. I believe that after you serve your suspension, you have to take a remedial class to be allowed to buy a license again.

In addition, CT is a member of a 45 state Compact that shares information and honors suspensions.

I'm not defending the law, but you should know what the possible punishment is before you decide to break it and roll the dice.

14-May-17
He said he carries but he didn't say what he carries.

I carry a backpack full of crap. Half of which I don't need.

14-May-17
Regardless how stupid the law is, it is still the law. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay a fine for violating a law, but couldn't handle losing my hunting and fishing privledges, even for a year. Do what you gotta do, just do it quietly.

14-May-17
Steve - I called the DEP years ago about carrying my bow on the Blue Trail to access state land that was surrounded by private land and at first they said it's against the law to hunt private land without a permit. When I challenged them and asked "If I have the right to carry my bow on a public right of way, like the road, then why can't I do the same on another public right of way like the trail? " They then said try it.

That answer made me feel better. Not! If your handgun is in the holster and you're carrying your bow or in your treestand with your bow, then you're not pursuing game with your gun, just my opinion. Stupid politicians.

14-May-17
Ok.

Let's change the law next year. I'll talk to my Rep to introduce the bill. Any one else interested?

14-May-17
Whether you're hunting or not, CT is one of those states where you can't carry a concealed firearm in the woods. Stupid law, but it is the law.

14-May-17
Yup, dumb law..i usually just have a knife,figure if im gonna be eatin thatll be a bad ass way to go..if im hiking with little kids something with a +P might be in order if the shreiks dont get him first..lol

14-May-17
A law that I have not agreed with as well. I run into lots of bears, and have had some bad experiences with them. A hunter sneaking through the woods off the trail Going in early or even coming out at sunset is different than a hiker or biker to a bear in my opinion. They are very curious and fearless of people sneaking around off the trails. They usually come over to me and investigate, some are standoffish and offensive. I have to be a tough guy and stand my ground. Been lucky so far. I average about a dozen close encounters per season. Been charged three times. I have seen first hand the bear population explode in a very short period of time in the NW corner. Every sow I see has cubs, all the time. Some have three and four at a time. It's unbelievable.

I carry when I reasonably can, hunting, checking trail cams and such. Not being able to carry during bow season is total BS IMO. Not being able to carry at all on state land is total BS in my opinion too. Not just hunting but walking the dog or taking a hike you cant carry. BS!! Had to jump through flaming hoops in CT to prove I was "safe" enough to have the "privilege" to carry a pistol, and I cant even use it. I can carry during gun season on private land though.. Thanks..

I'm not carrying friggin bear spray when I can carry hot lead either. I've seen the online debates on the subject. Everyone has a different opinion on it. It becomes more of a political debate in places like CT. Any excuse to keep gun owners from carrying their guns. Permission or forgiveness? Id rather loose my license than my life.

Carry on!!!

14-May-17
As always, don't give Jonnie law a reason to frisk ya. Kinda like a headlight out, no reason to pull you over.

14-May-17
Here is a question for hoy guys.

Is it a law or a DEEP regulation that you can't carry while bow hunting?

15-May-17
Bowhunters, who may not possess a firearm while bowhunting (CGS ยง 26-86a), ....law i guess?

15-May-17
what is the law regarding to carrying on state land? thanks

15-May-17
Hey at least it's not NJ where it's illegal to carry bear spray and having the densist population of black bear in the US!

15-May-17
What if you carried pepper spray, is that ok. As long as it's not labeled bear spray?

15-May-17
Pepper spray is good BBB.

You just have to spay it on yourself cuz I heard bears like their food spicy.

15-May-17
LOL! I guess habenero spray is out too then, especially if I run into one of those bad hombre bears.

16-May-17
Iv'e been trying to get this changed for a while by continually mentioning it and writing to my area rep about it. Vermont changed their law about 5 years ago saying that if hikers can carry hunters shouldn't be discriminated against. Let's get writing and calling, time for a change.

16-May-17
Interesting discussion. Seeing more and more of them up here as well. Never really worried me until that kid from Yale became lunch a year or two ago in NJ. Now I am thinking about bringing bear spray during archery. Pretty sure there is no law against that... And while not lethal, I've seen examples of it being easier to hit the bear with it, and ultimately more effective at allowing you a chance to escape.

Ought to be able to carry if you want, but given the law and magnitude of any firearms offence, bear spray seems a great idea.

16-May-17

Ace's Link
If you want to have a chance to hunt Bears in CT you need to keep up the pressure on our elected officials. 2 Senators (Fasano (R) and Looney (D)) control the calendar and what gets called for a vote. Senator Craig Miner's bill SB-522 To authorize bear hunting in Connecticut, passed the Environment Committee and is on the Senate Calendar. Call or email: Martin Looney at [email protected] AND Len Fasano at [email protected]

Ask that they call this important bill for a vote before someone gets attacked and possibly killed. The DEEP wants this bill and the commissioner testified in support of it.

Also send your own State Senator an email asking him/her to vote FOR the bill if it is called. This year's session ends June 7th, after that we'll have to start over net year.

16-May-17
Extreme, "what is the law regarding to carry on state land." You can only carry a 22 pistol on state land during small game season. For the purpose of hunting. It requires a valid carry permit as well as a hunting license. No other exceptions.

17-May-17
thanks grizzlyadams, that is very clear.

• Sitka Gear