notme 14-May-17
CJD437 14-May-17
bigbuckbob 15-May-17
notme 15-May-17
spike78 15-May-17
13-May-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
*warning Shotgun Hunt* I had set my alarm for 4 am but that just wasn't happening so I shut it off and slept in until 7. I watched some fishing shows and enjoyed a cup of coffee. At 9 I decided to go prospecting before the rain set in on us.

Spot #1: Walked and called but no gobbles Spot #2: More of the same...nada Spot #3: Walking and squalking and I got a distant gobble. I set up some decoys, but 45 minutes later, with no other gobbles, I picked it up Spot #4: Nothing but a doe who was bedded near by Spot #5: More nothingness

Off to the last spot then get home... it's 11:00 am.

As I'm driving up the road, just before my property, I see there's a tom strutting in the corner of a field that borders my property. I park and start the 1/2 mile hike to the corner of the field. Just as I start heading out, here comes the farmer with a bush hog to cut grass in the field. Ugggghhhh! We exchange waves and I make my way to the corner. The birds are still there and the tractor doesn't phase them at all. I now realize there's 2 mature toms and a hen out there.

Both toms are strutting nonstop, and they're about 150 yards away. I stand in a thicket and begin to talk turkey and manage to drag the hen closer and closer, and naturally, both toms are strutting right behind her. Patiently, I let them get in range, and finally, the hen is at 40 yards and both toms are strutting and gobbling constantly around her.

Finally, one of the gobblers struts to 30 yards and I cut at him to get him to stick his head up. It's go time! AS the load of #5 hammers him he hits the dirt! The other tom starts beating the crap out of him, but I scare him off when I step out to retrieve my bird.

He's a beauty. A double bearded Tom with 9" and 6" beards and 1" spurs. He weighs 19.80 lbs

Another great hunt and I feel very fortune to get this tom.

13-May-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo

13-May-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo

13-May-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
9" and 6" beards

13-May-17

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo

13-May-17
Well done great story .

13-May-17
Congrats!!! Way to stick with it.

14-May-17
Great pics, can even see your fingerprints

14-May-17
Jon, Sweet! Sometimes you just have to hang in there and results can happen. I am planning on heading out Tuesday AM but I have to say that going out in the dark before work can wear you down.

14-May-17
That better be a Stanley tape rule you're using :) Well done and thanks for the story. Love hearing about how things went down.

14-May-17
Great job congrats!!

14-May-17
Congrats bud!!!!

It looks like a stanley tape..look at the rust and i bet the rivets are loose too.!!!!

14-May-17
That's a big turkey!!! The strutted looks huge too.

Congrats Tall1.

14-May-17
Lol Crow. Yup it's a Stanley that's older than notme's favorite pair of underwear.

14-May-17
Ya man,once the lace starts to wear off its time for a new pair...lol

14-May-17
notme - the rivets are designed to be loose. In order for the rule to accurate when you pull or push for a measurement the hook needs to slide to account for the thickness of the steel of the hook.

All right everyone, wake up and pay attention. This is really interesting,.......to me.

14-May-17
Ya but why is my tape off up to 3/16 from yours...hmmmmm..lol

14-May-17
NICE!!!

15-May-17
What are you measuring, something small???? Use a micrometer for that.

15-May-17
Caulk and paint make a carpenter what he aint...lol

15-May-17
Congrats! Bob in my line of work we call that out of calibration lol.

• Sitka Gear