Zebrakiller 24-May-17
happygolucky 24-May-17
Pete-pec 24-May-17
Jeff in MN 25-May-17
Bear 26-May-17
Drop Tine 26-May-17
CaptMike 27-May-17
16-May-17
Jeff in MN sent me a bear update and wanted me to post it for you guys. Jeff says "Camp is 4 for 8 so far. Everyone has seen bears".

16-May-17
Awesome!!

16-May-17
Great news!

16-May-17
Hope you get a chance at a big one Jeff . Best wishes on a successful hunt .

17-May-17
Thanks for the update. Hoping they all get good bears.

17-May-17
Thanks for passing it on! Hope they all have a good time and are successful!

17-May-17
They must have really bad reception up there. He (Jeff in MN) must be waiting to fill you guys in on the whole hunt. He did text me and he said it was cold up there and is tough just sitting in camp, which I assume he got his bear.

17-May-17
Can't wait for some pics!

18-May-17
Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm looking forward to the write up.

18-May-17
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

18-May-17
Bear #5 was brought in last night.

18-May-17
Last tag has been filled.... Jeff said pics and stories are coming soon.

18-May-17
Manitoba bear hunting has never disappointed me. My family and I leave June 2nd. Looking forward to the bear hunting as well as the great fishing.

18-May-17
Good for them! I hope they share the story and some pictures.

Good luck to you too CaptMike. Be safe. Have fun. Post pics.

19-May-17
sounds like a very successful hunt,congrats to all. looking forward to some pics and stories

19-May-17

Jeff in MN's Link
Here is a link to the guide service web site. All the pics at the link up to the one with the Argo stuck with a trailer on it are from our group's hunt. I am in two of the pics, in one of them I am the one in the front passenger seat of the Argo. That Argo ride into the swamps (probably over 3 miles) was a rough ride, seemed like we would get stuck but never did. Wondering what we would do if his rig broke down with us in there. He said just stay at the bait site, they would get us out. (was afraid to ask how many days that might take) It would be near impossible to walk out of that swamp.

I hunted the first three days on the Argo route. Had two bears in the 150-ish pound range in off and on all afternoon/evening. Later in evening one in the 280# range would come in several times. He was there for a full hour at one point. I didn't think he was big enough for me on a hunt with good potential for an even bigger one. (the big one in the first picture was 300# with 19 7/8" skull was later taken from that same bait site by another person in our party.)

On the 4th afternoon most of us were moved to a fresh stand and I drew one that was reported to have a bigger bear on it for me. Around 4:00 I saw a bear coming a ways out, I scoped him and he looked nice. When he got to the bait barrel I pulled the trigger, I saw a huge splash of blood, he ran 20 yards leaning into his fight to stay upright. I thought I saw him crash but was not sure. I waited and just before my half hour wait expired a guide showed up because they heard the shot. When we got five yards from the double bull blind I could see him laying where I though he fell. Huge disappointment when I saw a bear laying there that was about 150#, maybe less. After replaying what happened I realized I was looking at him thru the scope the whole time making my size estimation worthless. Well, it was a bear, it was a clean kill, and it did not go far. Still a successful hunt, just a long ways from what I expected out of myself and the results.

I will get some pics of the bears I saw on the stand the first 3 days posted tomorrow. I am tired even after sitting in camp for 3 days.

The food in camp was just AWESOME.

The last bear killed has an interesting almost unbelievable story, I suspect Zebrakiller will report on it, he was there to videotape it.

These guys know what they are doing. They do it different, but it works. They still have a few tags available if anyone is interested.

Almost forgot, the Lambs army rum was good. I got the dark version, didn't know there would be multiple choices.

20-May-17
Congrats. Sounds like you all had a great and successful trip.

20-May-17
Jeff, congrats! Looks like we are headed another 6 hours north from where you hunted. I have some arrows re-fletched and the fishing tackle ready. We leave in 12 days. Now just where did you leave that big one tied up at??

20-May-17
Jeff, congrats! Looks like we are headed another 6 hours north from where you hunted. I have some arrows re-fletched and the fishing tackle ready. We leave in 12 days. Now just where did you leave that big one tied up at??

20-May-17
Jeff - Thanks for posting the link. Glad you had a good and successful hunt and it was a bit of an adventure in the swamp. I'm still jealous. Your bear may not be the size that you were originally looking for, but you can go after a bigger bear next time and those roasts will be tasty.

And you can make some funky bananas foster to go with it for desert since you've got some good Lamb's Navy Rum. I think the light stuff is just Lamb's Rum. You made the right choice getting the dark. That stuff will cheer up camp on a weather day when mixed with some instant banana pudding.

Looking forward to your pics. You said that you were hanging in camp. No nearby fish to play with?

CaptMike - Find that big one and post pictures. You have to be clock watching and resharpening already sharp broadheads.

20-May-17
Orion, I certainly will do. Thanks!!

20-May-17

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Here are some pics of the smaller two bears on the first 3 days. The white spots on the bear in the first pic are popcorn, he was rolling on it.

20-May-17

Here are some pics of the bigger bear from the first 3 days, although these were all taken from a ground blind on the third day.

I don't have access to a card reader that can handle the compact flash card in my 35mm camera. Will probably upload some of those later if Zebrakiller doesn't post his versions of those in the other thread he started.

20-May-17
Congrats to you both! Those are great pictures too!

20-May-17
Really cool photos from the hunt. Right off hand I'd say you got your money's worth! Congratulations on a successful hunt,...successful in more ways than one! Good for all of you.

20-May-17
That bear in the second set of pics is pretty nice.

20-May-17
"Huge disappointment when I saw a bear laying there that was about 150#, maybe less. After replaying what happened I realized I was looking at him thru the scope the whole time making my size estimation worthless."

LOL another fail by Jeff from MN. The great cross bow hunter goes with a gun. Remember this is BOWsite. I am sure there are web sites for gun hunting bear hunters? As far as the size of the bear I have seen over the years you can not estimate bear.

"Later in evening one in the 280# range would come in several times." ???? was the 150 pounder you killed 300 pounds before you actually killed him?

"that was about 150#, maybe less." Well did you kill a 80 pound black lab or what? My guess was it was less.

20-May-17
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Congrat's on harvesting a bear!!

21-May-17
Yes, Congrats you guys. I am sure you all had a great time, I bet the comradery was awesome. Looking forward to hearing more WI bear hunting stories this September.

21-May-17
I feel certain most on this forum look forward to the stories we'll hear of the successful bear hunts, I know I do. Congrats again to you guys. Well done!

21-May-17
looks like you guys had a great hunt and congrats. Looking forward to hearing from Zebra

21-May-17
Sounds like a great time guys.

21-May-17
Congratulations on a successful hunt. You guys are on a roll!

21-May-17
That first picture makes me wonder if anyone shoots them when they're napping at the bait pile and if so do they immediately take off running or do they wake up kinda slow like they might be thinking it's a bad dream or something. Inquiring minds ya know.

21-May-17
Congratulations on a successful hunt. You guys are on a roll!

21-May-17
"It takes a real loser to talk shit about someone else's trophy."

Trophy? He killed a spike horn for gods sake maybe even a nub buck! With a gun to boot! Looks like BOWsite is starting to become politically correct. RIP BOWsite the Millennial's now control you.

21-May-17

Bootspit's embedded Photo
Bootspit's embedded Photo

21-May-17
Congratulations, if you are happy and harvested the animal that is all that matters. We all set goals and sometimes they don't come to fruition. We always reference what happened to you as "Ursus Shrunkus". It is your tag good for you and thanks for sharing. Any animal harvested is a trophy. Shot nubbins, spikes, and on up. Cherish every memory of the "HUNT".

21-May-17
Big or small, no matter how you look at it, a deer is a deer!

22-May-17
Over estimating the size of an animal you normally don't hunt is easy . Shoot 95% of the deer I shot still get ground shrinkage . Good job Jeff and all the successful hunter's .

23-May-17
bootspit, where did you get that photo? I want one.

23-May-17
Nice job capturing the hunt, Jeff. Thanks for sharing with the site! Congrats.

23-May-17

I know there is food in the barrel.
I know there is food in the barrel.
A few more pics of the big bear.

23-May-17

But how do I get it out?
But how do I get it out?
Maybe it is easier to go for the meat in this barrel.
Maybe it is easier to go for the meat in this barrel.
Still thinking, does he want meat or oats? Meat wins.
Still thinking, does he want meat or oats? Meat wins.

23-May-17

Now this is a real bait mixer.
Now this is a real bait mixer.
Pics of camp

23-May-17

The butchering table, I brought the corian pieces and glad I did the table was a little gross. I left the corian there for future use.
The butchering table, I brought the corian pieces and glad I did the table was a little gross. I left the corian there for future use.

23-May-17

Inside of the cabins, the unused top bunks were great for keeping your gear where you can find it.
Inside of the cabins, the unused top bunks were great for keeping your gear where you can find it.
Finally the rum, my wife loves it. Not sure if that is a good thing, it means less for me. Oh well, might have to make run up the North shore to Ontario for more.
Finally the rum, my wife loves it. Not sure if that is a good thing, it means less for me. Oh well, might have to make run up the North shore to Ontario for more.

23-May-17
One thing everyone in our cabin was glad I brought. A carbon monoxide detector. A Hayward neighbor died of CO at a remote Ontario fishing cabin. Wife and I were at his restaurant when the sheriff came to tell his wife, very sad day. Three young adults died from it in the Hayward area a couple weeks ago. Get one that detects gas and CO and has a battery backup if you take one on a hunting/fishing trip to a remote area.

23-May-17
OMG embarrassing. Now the beer is doing a slide show and making comments? Stick to the baiting and easy beer kills with guns its where you belong.

23-May-17
Agree Jeff, cabon monoxide detectors are a must! Great pictures, keep them coming.

24-May-17
Sounds like a great time, Jeff!

24-May-17

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
It was an awesome trip

24-May-17
Awesome stuff guys. Keep the pics coming. The weapon of choice never matters to me. I treat this as an outdoors and hunting site with people of similar interests. To each their own.

24-May-17
+1 happy! The common thread is hunting. Not method, not weapon, and certainly not what size, as long as it's legal.

25-May-17
I just got word that our party of 3 got drawn for a Minnesota bear hunt. We expected to get drawn with the points we had but always a good feeling when it is official. This will be my first time for a chance to score 3 bears in a one year span. WI was and MN will be self 'guided' and one hunter will be a rookie on bear.

26-May-17

Bear's Link
Well it's obvious that this is not Jeff in MN due to the man using a real bow I totally could see this happening to him. Its a perfect situation the bear is coming then Jeff make a noise like a ape for no apparent reason.

Just sayin

26-May-17
Sounds like a fun season for you Jeff, 3 bear hunts in one year.

27-May-17
Three bear hunts in a year? Awesome!

• Sitka Gear