Quinn @work 19-May-17
Scooby-doo 20-May-17
Westksbowhunter 20-May-17
AuburnTiger 21-May-17
sitO 21-May-17
writer 21-May-17
Thornton 22-May-17
16-May-17
I leased some ground in Unit 1 & 2. Mostly Cheyenne County. Any of you guys have experience hunting that area?

16-May-17
Yes

16-May-17
LOL. I deserve that. Let me rephrase. I welcome any advice about hunting those units.

16-May-17
No part of Cheyenne County is in unit 2. According to last year, you have a 73% chance of drawing a tag.

16-May-17
Good area for deer of both species. There is alot of pressure on the Mule Deer in the area. An outfitter from Texas leased up the best areas up there in my opinion. They also purchased a commissioners tag this year as well. If your close to the Nebraska line you will get alot of line jumpers during the Nebraska rifle season (Nov 12) type time frame. Hunted there for 25 years until last year. It was so packed during the youth season and with most of the good WIHA gone I just could not convince myself to go back later.

16-May-17
I know where there is a giant of a whitetail, he was with about 20 other bucks and does,..yes, in cheyenne,..private property.

I did not see any whitetails along the republican,..pretty sure they are there..

The areas history is quite appalling, read about the Sandcreek massacre. Be sure to take a drive thru Devils Gap.

I saw one 2.5, maybe 3.5yo 4x4 mule deer, about 20/21 wide..saw lots of mule does, some spikes and forkies..never pursued the 4x4,..he was on public..

Tell Dustin at the Dusty Farmer "Hello" for me.

17-May-17
Does the property you leased have trees? I saw a lot of property without trees. That area can get cold and snow covered rather early.

17-May-17
Depending on which part of the county you are going to hunt, the republican river bottom holds whitetail where you could actually place some tree stands. Rolling hills and rangeland make up most of the county where spot and stalk works the best on the mule deer. I don't have much experience hunting the SE part of the county where it is mostly good, flat farm ground, but I'm sure there are deer there as well.

17-May-17
Thanks for the feedback. The land we leased lies mostly in Cheyenne County (Unit 1) but there is some in Sherman County (Unit 2).

18-May-17
What camo pattern do you prefer in that terrain?

18-May-17
...the pattern that is stamped with , "hold yourself still." Depends on if you're hunting from the ground or from trees.

18-May-17

z hunter's embedded Photo
z hunter's embedded Photo
The area gets hit really hard with resident muzzlegunners, looking to kill a mule deer,..if they see a large whitey, they probably pull the trigger on him.

Green dots are not trees

You might want to rig your climber with rubber straps, for climbing center pivots.

19-May-17
Gotcha. I'm planning on archery hunting from the ground.

19-May-17

z hunter's Link
Made in Kansas

19-May-17
Come on now Z Hunter that area has no deer just like the rest of KS.

Those rubber straps are a great idea. Although those center pivots aren't that far off the ground I always seem to fall to the ground a few times each year. Any idea where to find them?

War Eagle send me a pm. Your Sherman county ground may be close to a friends house. If not I can at least give you some pointers for hunting those open country deer. Good luck.

20-May-17
Question, do people really think Camo patterns make a huge difference? I have killed lots of deer in a plaid shirt and jeans. Shawn

20-May-17
Oh yes it does. Just ask the idiots that run out and spend $750 on some new Sitka gear.

21-May-17
A Sitka gear outfit costs more than I paid for my first truck.

21-May-17
Hey now, chicks dig Sitka c'mon ;?)

21-May-17
Right, Kyle...we see how you've done with Sitka these past several years. :-)

(Sorry, it's not the camo...you're as picky about babes as you are bucks.)

22-May-17
I shoot my biggest deer while wearing blaze orange...

• Sitka Gear