Contributors to this thread:
strafford90 20-May-17
horsethief51 20-May-17
Rut Nut 22-May-17
Bob McArthur 22-May-17
elk yinzer 23-May-17
Spider1 25-May-17
20-May-17
Does anyone know of a good method to find landowners who let people pay to hunt their land in the 5B, 5C, 5D, 4C zones? Instead of a lease just paying on a per hunt basis. Thanks!

20-May-17
No, but the game commission web site has a place to find all the farms in their game farm program where you can hunt for free. They give gps coordinates. Just stop and ask if you can hunt there first. They do not have to let you hunt there, but the way those units are overrun, you should not have a problem. Ever heard of the UBP's 5 C doe hunt?

22-May-17

Rut Nut's Link
Yes- the 5C hunt is always a good place to start. Although many of the properties are only open to hunting during the 5C hunt, it is a good way to network with other hunters in the area and make some contacts that could lead to some possibilities in the future.

There are a few of our 5C properties that used to be enrolled in the farm game co-op program. Not sure if that is still the case, but you could check with our "land manager" Dan Smoker.

Here is a link with more info on the 5C hunt. Just let me know if you need more info!

22-May-17
You don't need to pay to hunt in 5C or 5D, no matter what anyone tells you. Pick areas where you know there's deer with lots of properties that have Posted or No Hunting signs. Yes, I know, sounds crazy, but almost all those properties allow hunting with owners permission. Many of the hunters in SE PA equate No Hunting signs to mean the owners are anti-hunting, you'll have only a slight amount of competition. A large number of the hunters quit trying to find a place after getting turned down once or twice. Most don't even try to find a place to hunt at all (Hunters are the laziest people when it comes to actually hunting for a place to play/hunt). Sometimes you can get your foot in the door by asking to hunt just a couple or three days...during the week. After a year or two it could turn into permission to hunt the entire season. Have a plan, execute it and stick to it. Take one weekend & knock on doors, lots of them, and in 2 days time you should have 3 or 4 properties to hunt.

23-May-17
A couple weeks ago I came across a couple startups that are attempting to use the airbnb model for hunting properties. Might be worth a shot down your way if they get some momentum.

I think the concept fills a nice niche between leasing and public land and hopefully cut some middleman outfitters out of the process. Long-term leasing is something I will never commit to, but this is something I can get on board with for out of state hunts. I hope they work out. I forget the names of them but I am sure google will yield some results.

25-May-17
Like Bob said, knock on doors. Do it after the dinner hour and well before dark. Don't wear hunting clothes. Just knock on doors and ask politely. If they say no, thank them for their time and ask politely if they know any farmers that might welcome hunters. Chances are, they will. If they say yes, yer in. Ask them about their rules, where to park and if they would mind giving you a note incase someone else stops you.

• Sitka Gear