Pete-pec 22-May-17
FurReel 22-May-17
Hoot 22-May-17
21-May-17

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Buddy went on his first guided hunt ever! His first out-of-state hunt actually, international hunt no less !!!! he put it all together himself. With a big use of the internet he screened thru alot of outfitters even a few recommended by bowsiters.

Something clicked with the outfitter he choose. He asked all the right questions and got upfront answers. My buddy is a master baiter in his own right having extensive experience hunting Wisconsin . Him and his 16 year old daughter both scored again last year during Wis fall bear hunt. As of now Wisconsin does not have a spring season. But I am working on that. With his decesion on an outfitter made he had to get cracking and get a passport. That went quickly, like less than two weeks. So he went up to Manitoba three weeks ago with a car hauler size trailer of diverse bear bait. Of course the outfitter provides all the bait and prebaits them weeks ahead! As I said my friend is a master baiter in his own right as is this outfitter who specializes on putting clients on big bears. Neither has an ego that prevents them from sharing and learning from the other. So they collaborated on this adveture as big bear enthusiast, more so than just client / guide.

They spent 4 days opening up bait sites from previous years. Was a feeling out process as they got to know one another. Put up two man ladder stands. for the most part, for 15 yard BOW shots .

Then the waiting began, about a week latter the photos started coming in. My friend had a big interest in shooting a color phase bear as they are rather rare in Wisconsin, they become more available the futher west one goes in North America and Manitoba is known for producing a varity of color phase bears. The guide has a number of them in his concession but generally they are not the size of bear that he targets. And he kept telling my friend about the potential for a real giant but in BLACK! And after the guide started sending him pictures of the baits being hit by a number of these behomoths, a real dilemma developed with my friend. color?? or big?? BIG or color, why cant there be a big colored?

3 weeks past and the time to Hunt, finally arrived and my friend rolled in to camp with another large trailer load of bear treats. Again he didn't have to bring anything but for him its all about the hunt, the baiting , the quest for the biggest bear available.

And being as much a part of it as possible.

the behavior of the Manitoba bears are not like the high pressured area he hunts in Wisconsin. In his area of Wisconsin, its not uncommon to have 5 or more hunters, placing baits on the same sq mi . The competion is intense, the bears have a lot to choose from and generally become nocturnal due to all the humans tromping around. Not so on t he Manitoba concession, it is virtually untouched by local hunters as there is not much interest by the locals to hunt bears and there is such a large land area to spread the pressure to almost nothing. Just the same the guide puts miles between his baits.

So his hunt is on l, and wouldn't you know it a brown phase bear shows up the first day. He almost let an arrow go but those trail cam photos of the giants stopped him. A couple more days go by, and so da a couple 18 inch plus 300 pound bears. Second guessing that d axiom " dont pas the first day what ya would shoot on the last day". Well patience is rewarded when big boy shows up.

With so many archery deer, turkey and bears under his belt, my friend says he had a hard time keeping it together when this brusier walk in.

21-May-17
Cool intro story..... are you talking about the bear in the picture? very nice space between the ears but really tough to tell just how big this bear is without it standing on all fours. Nice bear though.

21-May-17

One for the books
One for the books
Green scored plus 21. It bottomed out the 440 limit on an uncertified scale.

Will post the official number in a few months when he gets it scored.

21-May-17

A full body mount should look good
A full body mount should look good

21-May-17
How big? Green Score? Awesome bear

22-May-17
The outfitter and a retired outfitter measured him several times and green scored 21 8/16" Now the drying process begins. Even if he shrinks 1/2" it makes no difference to me. Throughout the whole experience in the quest is my trophy! I met an outfitter but left friends.

22-May-17
Congrats on a great bear.

22-May-17
Nice bear. Congrats

22-May-17
Yup, that's a biggun.

22-May-17
Great story and an awesome bear!

22-May-17
Wow

22-May-17
Wow, I bet there will be another trip soon for a brown one.

22-May-17
Great hunt and great story. Thanks for the tale and congratulations on your success. Seems as if this is a hunt you will remember forever - nice to have 'em like that! Thanks again.

22-May-17
awesome Congrats

22-May-17
Congrats on a great bear. Were there a bunch of hoops to jump through to be able to bring the bear bait across the border?

22-May-17
Super Bear, Congrats

22-May-17
The first time bringing bait across was a little hectic. The border guards (or whatever the technical name) were very strict but pleasant, in a way. After answering, what seemed like, a million questions and opening barrel after barrel to inspect their demeanor changed to strict to curious. I brought four 20x30 tarps, a shovel, and pitch fork in case they wanted to dump everything out to ease in loading it back up. After about the 5th barrel I opened a box of cherry gummies that they inquired about. I started eating them and you could see them holding back the smiles. They didn't want to try any for themselves but it sure eased the tension lol. The 2nd trip the supervisor remembered me "hey, you're the guy giving our bears all the cavities" and everyone laughed. Then asked if the stuff was working and what I all had on this load, more so out of curiosity I think. I did stop on my way out and showed them a few pics and dropped some doghnuts off. They were hesitant but showed them the receipt that I had just purchased them and they weren't bait. Then everyone laughed again.

22-May-17
FurReel....same thing here...they couldn't understand why I would bring my own bait when the Guide Service was providing. I told them he only using honey & oats, I wanted to try pastries which was the truth. All went well.

22-May-17
Good story FurReel. nothing wrong with being friendly, and building a relationship.

22-May-17

FurReel's embedded Photo
Here is the shot. Took a picture off the computer screen from the video
FurReel's embedded Photo
Here is the shot. Took a picture off the computer screen from the video

22-May-17
Looks like a dead bear to me. Nice shot!

• Sitka Gear