muzzy 23-May-17
steve 24-May-17
notme 24-May-17
bigbuckbob 24-May-17
steve 24-May-17
Richm444 27-May-17
grizzlyadam 28-May-17
22-May-17
I am looking for something of good quality, reasonable price - big but not too big - chest style that could hold a several whole hind quarters plus + ????

22-May-17
Not me and I like the shiny ones ;)

22-May-17
Ill check with two fingers frankie and crooked nose sal..

22-May-17
I bought a magic chef about 10 years ago and have not had a problem with it. Either Home Depot or Lowes will carry magic chef or roper brands and either one will probably cost around 150 bucks or so, be sure to get at least a 5 ft.³ or better because you will definitely fill it. I don't think there is a need to spend a lot of money for a good freezer, good luck

22-May-17
P C Richards has a good selection of chest freezers at good prices. Don't know about quality .

22-May-17
The chest style gives you the least visible access to what's in there. Shelving allows you to sort and find the cuts you want. On mine the shelving is also the evaporator. On any style, inspect the width of the door seal. Magnetic seals should seat, especially in the area of the hinges. A drain plug in the bottom helps when you defrost/wash down. Manufacturers are heavily regulated and quality is in the materials used in the box itself. EER ratings reflect the insulation effectiveness, relative to the electricity used to stay at setpoint.

23-May-17
Meat doesn't last as long in a frost free freezer as it will in a regular old one that fills up with snow around the walls. I've been told it's because the frost free type cycles to eliminate the frost. I'm not sure if that's the reason, but I have noticed that meat gets frostbite a lot sooner in the frost free ones. Remember to keep it as full as you can, the more frozen mass you have in there, the less electricity it uses. Frozen containers of water are good for that.

Also, if you can get yourself an upright one, you'll thank me later. Stuff always seems to get lost in the bottom of the chest freezers and it's a pain in the rear to get to. I'm pretty sure I have a few critters in the bottom of mine that I've forgotten about. I'm sure there are a couple of raccoon skins, and who knows what all else.

23-May-17
Get a stand up type, chest freezers have mystery meat on the bottom after a year or two.

24-May-17
wait for a scratch and dent at one of the big stores .

24-May-17
there used to be your scratch and dent place in West Haven off the Saw Mill exit off 95. By the old Sears warehouse. Not sure if it's still there

24-May-17
Or you can buy a new one and scratch and dent it yourself :) Not sure why you want a scratches and dents on a freezer though.

24-May-17
There having a big sale in the parking lot of PC Richards in Norwalk right now

27-May-17
thanks for all your suggestions - I really appreciate it

28-May-17
Check craigslist, I have found some great deals on freezers. There's always a bunch of them. Like someone else said, don't get a frost free one, the meat gets freezer burn fast.

• Sitka Gear