Jeff in MN 25-May-17
Novice 25-May-17
Treefarm 26-May-17
Jeff in MN 26-May-17
orionsbrother 26-May-17
Treefarm 27-May-17
Jeff in MN 27-May-17
23-May-17
They're gone! You guys did wonderful. It's crazy how easy it was!

24-May-17
Lets not taunt anyone. Lets stay positive in when we have differences of opinions. Stay the course.

24-May-17
I'm sorry screwball, that looked bad. I was referring to buckthorn. Took the great advice from some of the wonderful people on here, and I believe they're gone! Now to groom some new trails!

24-May-17
Good job Pete, buckthorn is hard to eradicate. I have been trying for many years and it just keeps coming back because neighbors that have it are doing nothing. I have been trying to help them by providing advice, herbicide and equipment to use and in some cases just doing it for them. Yet each year about this time I trim the grass around trees etc and find small BT and this year was no exception. Keep at it, even if you don't get rid of it all you can keep it from taking over.

24-May-17
Oh thanks Jeff, if it wasn't for the good advice from you and others, I'm not sure I wouldn't have just let that invasive species just take over? All I know, is it's gone, and the next time I sit down with my back against a tree to turkey hunt, I don't have to worry about one of those pricks, which can certainly be a pain in the rear! Thank goodness for garlon!

24-May-17
Nice!

24-May-17
I went through a bunch of Garlon4/diesel last year and that is not fun stuff to deal with. I've had my share of excavator work over the 2 years I've owned this land and he's removed a bunch of buckthorn for me. I still have tons of it on the land but where I wanted it gone, it is now gone. I still have some Garlon4 left that I can use to tweak with.

I did learn that Bears love the berries from buckthorn. It was crazy how many stalks my resident bear pulled down off the trails last year. I know birds like them too. Too bad the deer do not.

LOL at the paranoia of the usual suspects ;).

24-May-17
Don't the animals that like it most likely pass the seeds on to others areas?

24-May-17
LOL at the paranoia of the usual suspects ;).

X2 HGL my thoughts exactly.

24-May-17
Yes critters do eat and spread the undigested part of the seeds, that is why it is impossible to get rid of it. Most of the new sprouts I find are under pine and spruce trees but are common under all trees. (bird sits in the tree and craps out buckthron)

I would say it is good that deer do not mess with the BT berries. Don't need any more Johnny apple seed critters spreading it around.

24-May-17
This might be a dumb question, but do the branches actually have thorns on them? Most of the pictures I see on the Net don't seem to show this, if that's the case. A lot of the pictures look familiar to some plants I see on the hunting property, but I'm curious about the thorns. There are some spots that have some real thorny brush and I'm wondering if it's actually buckthorn. Good info in this site. Very helpful to identify species that have thorns/ are pricks.

24-May-17
Novice, BT is a terrible name. BT actually has few nasty thorns, mainly on trunk, some cultivars worse than others. As the name implies, the terminal bud looks like a bucks hoove. Between the hoove points out a small 3-5mm thorn. This configuration shows best in the fall.

24-May-17
Buckthorn and tag alder are very similar looking. I know tag alder does not get the berries like buckthorn does. I have both on my land and too much of it at that.

25-May-17
Additionally there are a couple of different BT species. If you are near a DNR office they have some nice flyers on BT with pictures. Do yourself a favor and even take a branch to the DNR and be sure what it actually is. Unfortunately there is a good chance it is BT. Last fall I drove from Tomah to Oshkosh on 21 and couldn't believe how much BT I saw along the road, very visible, especially after the leafs have fallen from other trees. Yes, so much that it was very easy to spot even at 55mph.

25-May-17
There is another nasty invasive that I just learned about last fall. I can't remember the name right now. Treefarm, do you remember what I said it was?

25-May-17
The berries and bark, I definitely recognize. It's the thorns that got me wondering. I also leased a small piece of land last year that had some logging done on it and there was tons of new growth with some type of thorny trees/brush. Thick stuff the deer seemed to like, but I could barely walk through it. Every time I hunted it, I left with scratches and cuts. Kicked my arse. Again, thanks for info.

26-May-17
Jeff-Osage orange?

26-May-17
That could be it.

26-May-17
Buckthorn and garlic mustard. Some of my least favorite stuff.

27-May-17
Autumn Olive

27-May-17
That is it. I sprayed a bunch of it but then realized I was getting short on garlon and figured I better concentrate on buckthorn. Will hopefully get back there this summer and hit it with a foliar mix.

• Sitka Gear