RUGER1022 26-Jun-17
27-May-17

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Somewhere between 1953 and 1957 according to what I've read. Found this leather gripped 40# Bear Panda at a rummage sale. In 53 they changed to the standing bear, and that ran until 75. Until 57 they had the leather grip. Of course it isn't worth much, but a pretty neat find. I'll likely gift it to a neighbor kid who wants to try a little target practice in the back yard.

27-May-17
Nice Pete! Any Bear you find kind of makes it special regardless. It's hard to believe that you can pay upwards of 1200 for recurges now a days.

27-May-17
Meant recurves. Keys are small for my old eyes. I received a Bear bow from someone here on bowsite that my daughter shoots in the back yard all the time. Cant beat them!

27-May-17
Pete, I still have my first bow. I was that same kid, gifted a bear kodiak. I practiced, and got pretty good to 15ish yards. I practiced hard all summer, and my brother in law who gifted me the bow took me up to his uncle's place in Lyndon Station. Now mind you, I was a kid without camo. 14 years old, climbed up into a crotch stand, said a little prayer (please let me see a buck). Open my eyes, and I'm not kidding, there was a 6 pointer below my stand. I drew my bow, let it go, shaking like a leaf, and the arrow misses the deer just low, hits the ground, and slaps the deer in the leg. Yep, a miss! I was still shaking, feeling a bit dejected. I decided to pray again. Close my eyes in prayer, and when I open them, there's a fork buck below my stand. I draw, aim true, and I heart shot him. He ran towards my brother in law, and falls over by him. He screamed with elation for his new hunting partner. He was honestly more proud of me, than I was, which was nearly impossible. That was 35 years ago, and I can see it like it was yesterday.

Many years later, I made him a knife I hand filed from some raw steel stock, and the handle was made from that same fork horn. That was a Christmas present and he cried a little bit. This time I was more proud than he was. Unfortunately Jim moved to Indiana when GM was downsizing in the late 80's. I miss him, but we still have some damn fine memories. I was 14, he was 21. He hadn't killed a deer yet with his bow. The following year I was there when he scored! Good stuff!

27-May-17
Pete that was well written as I could see the story you wrote of. Hope you were able to stay in contactwit Jim.

15-Jun-17
Great story, Pete!!! My first was very similar with a family friend who took me under his wing one October weekend while my father was west back in '87. I still recall every high and low of that weekend before we found the "monster button buck". :) -The first deer I ever drew back on! It was another 4 years before I'd take one with the bow.

16-Jun-17
Duke - "monster button buck",...I know just what you mean.

Got my first deer with a bow a long, long time ago. It was a eight point with maybe a 10" spread and G-1's about an inch long! But man, what a monster it was. It was HUGE to this (then) young bowhunter! I still recall everything about that day and the shot. There have been many deer since then, but I think that ranks in my mind as the most memorable and for me as a true trophy. I still have the rack and the arrow I used to take that deer. Maybe this proves that for some of us "the trophy is in the eye of the bowhunter."

16-Jun-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Great story Pete and you other guys as well.

My first bow that I hunted with was a Bear Black Bear recurve that I bought new from the Phillips Liquor catalog (we owned a bar/restaurant and Phillips actually had a catalog with all kinds of good merchandise) with money I saved from my paper route and cleaning the bar/restaurant. I killed my first deer with a cedar arrow shot from that bow. I believe the fiberglass on that bow was mint green. I wish I still had that bow but when I was in my 20's and had "moved up" to the Bear Whitetail Hunter compound I gave the recurve to a kid who was just starting out and he put it to good use.

Many years later my girlfriends parents were having a garage sale and her dad had two recurves for sale, an ambidextrous Pearson Cougar and a 1958 Bear Kodiak and when I asked him how much he wanted for them he gave them to me. I guess what goes around comes around...

16-Jun-17
I'm going to take on the traditional bow again. I've decided it's time to get a bit more relaxed on antlers, and get back to what I truly enjoy about hunting, and that's the stories we share and read. Good stuff guys!

16-Jun-17
Hey Pete! Taking a right turn onto the traditional trail, do not bypass the WI Traditional Archers. Check out their website, just google 'em. Good for you!

16-Jun-17
Mike I was the opposite. I started with the whitetail hunter compound in 75 or 76. Had to buy the new and improved every couple of years. Last compound I bought was the Switchback and traded that for 300 dollars of bird seed a few years ago. It sat in the man cave for many years never shot.

Pete I went to the recurve with zero regrets. Went back and forth for years until I finally went recurve full time. Still want to try a longbow but afraid it may become my new check book account draining toy.

17-Jun-17
I'll do that casekiska.

Thanks Pete. I was pretty darn good with the recurve in the day. Still shoot a few times a year, and I hit the bag pretty well. I've been shopping around the internet. You guys got any good suggestions. Cost is not an issue. My dad left me a few bucks at his death, I could think of nothing I needed or wanted, and this seems like the perfect thing.

17-Jun-17
Yep! Gotta buy another bow! A true bowhunter learns you can never have too many bows! A father's day gift to yourself! Ha. Ha. Go for it!

Seriously, if you are thinking of going the longbow or straight bow route you might want to consider Deathwish Longbows in Richland Center. Steve Welte started this company quite sometime ago and I believe his daughter has now taken it over. Steve made a bow for me just a few years ago,...good shooter,...smooth,...no stacking,...respectably fast,...and comfortable in hand. Good value per $$$ spent. You would not go wrong buying a Deathwish bow. Hope you don't mind me suggesting this. If you ever get near to Deforest (northern Dane County) you could stop by and shoot mine, I have a small range set up in the basement. Good luck to you.

17-Jun-17
Casekiska, I appreciate the input. I don't live far away, and I'd certainly look you up if I'm in the area. I wasn't thinking longbow, but it wasn't out of the question for sure! I will look up the Deathwish, and shop around a bit more. I'M certainly intrigued.

Thanks again!

17-Jun-17
Not sure if I should start another thread, but I'm interested in a reflex deflex long bow. Any suggestions?

17-Jun-17
Reggiezpop -

Perhaps this will help,...I would suggest purchasing an issue of either (or both) TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER MAGAZINE and TRAD ARCHERS WORLD. If you cannot find them at your local newsstand then go on line for subscription info. These mags are filled with trad archery info and trad archery retail ads. You will find numerous advertisements for all sorts of trad bows and numerous advertisements for retailers who carry trad bows. A phone call or further research online should quickly put you in touch with bowyers who produce reflex/deflex bows. There are a number of bowyers producing these nowadays and I am certain you will be able find something you like.

For starters, I would check with Three Rivers or the Footed Shaft,...google 'em on line for contact info.

Hope this helps and good luck.

18-Jun-17
Reggie...I've been strictly sticks for a looong time. The RD longbow is a sweet shooter...no hand shock like Hill styles can give, whisper quiet, light, and fast.

I've got 2 bows...both by the same bowyer...a recurve and a longbow. He's no longer in the business, but there are many good guys out there.

19-Jun-17
Anyone interested in getting into Traditional archery should attend a traditional shoot or the annual Wi. Traditional Archer's Banquet. Lots of people to talk to and vendors that will let you shoot before you buy. If you live near the Milwaukee area don't miss the state shoot at Ojibwa Bow Hunters Aug. 5-6

19-Jun-17
That is an outstanding shoot!

19-Jun-17
Thanks Tomas. Casekiska was telling me the same thing. Get involved. Have fun and learn from the veterans.

19-Jun-17
Ojibwa is a great shoot...as is the Horicon shoot July 8 & 9. I agree to come out if interested in trad. Great guys...they'll talk with you, help you, and let you try their bows...I will!

One warning though...it's addictive...a brotherhood of sorts. After you get familiar with some folks, it's a bit of a rendezvous environment.

19-Jun-17
I think I'd enjoy the camaraderie the most. I love the quiet time when hunting, but getting together with a group of fellow archers would be nice.

20-Jun-17
Thanks for the heads up on The Footed Shaft, Bill. Ordered a bow this afternoon. Super excited!

20-Jun-17
Reggiezpop - see your PM

22-Jun-17
Pete-pec - does the "close eyes and pray for a buck" still work for you?

I have tried it, but usually just fall asleep.

22-Jun-17
It has worked yes!

26-Jun-17
Nice find . Last week I bought a Staghorn & a Bear cub at a garage sale . There is still treasures out there .

26-Jun-17
This is true Ruger

26-Jun-17
Reggie,,,,, the best reflex / deflex bow I ever shot was a Big River Bow, John Mcdonald who built that bow,, many years ago, knows it by the 4 bear bows, because I killed 4 bears with it,,,,,,, I loaned it to Andy Myers from Ojibwa, this year, as a back up bow, for his first, wilderness elk hunt,,,, he will be gone all of Sept

It is a lefty, so it may not be for you,,,,, as you know I can not shoot that bow weight anymore,,,,,,, looking for a long bow, I would seriously take a look at New Wood long bows out of Merril Wis,,,,,,, I now shoot righty, but it might be light for you, its only 43lbs, but you are welcome to try it,,,,,, send me a pm

26-Jun-17
Ruger - not to be an a.. but I am looking for a bear cub, for a young guy in MI who wants to shoot trad,,,,,, I mean he is under 12 and has the burn, if its a righty and you want to sell it, send me a PM

26-Jun-17
Razor . 1 of my grandkids will try the Bearcub Tues morning . I'll let you know .

By the way I am left handed .

• Sitka Gear