Rut Nut 31-May-17
RC 02-Jun-17
Rut Nut 02-Jun-17
horsethief51 02-Jun-17
RC 02-Jun-17
Spider1 02-Jun-17
Rut Nut 02-Jun-17
30-May-17
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow bowsiter, I got to hunt Gobblers for the first time this Spring! (due to family commitments/family health issues I was beginning to wonder if I would even get out this year)

Just wanted to say thanks to Stick n String(Justin) for inviting me down this weekend. It was great to get to hunt with you and camp out in your yard and share a campfire with you and your beautiful family! (those girls are even cuter in person! ;-)

This is what's great about bowsite! Lots of great people with a real PASSION for hunting and the outdoors! Can't tell you how much fun we had "talking turkey" and then tryin' to kill one! : )

Although we got CLOSE, we just couldn't seal the deal! Had a Jake sneak in on us silent..........................until he spotted us and then the alarm putts started. He walked across in front of us about 30y out, behind the decoys(not paying them any mind) and never presented a good shot. Although I was tempted, it was a bit out of my range and probably not wise to shoot at a wary, alarmed bird.

I think we had about as much fun as you can have withOUT killing a bird! ;-)

Thanks again, Justin!

BTW, those marinated backstraps over the campfire were OUTSTANDING! : )

30-May-17
Good deal, glad ya got out! By the way... which one of you did the jake spot first? LOL!

30-May-17
LOL! Probably me, SPider! ;-)

31-May-17
Yeah, I have to admit........................although I have hunted turkeys for years, I don't think I ever heard an "alarm putt" before(or if I did, I had no idea what it was). So I kept expecting him to go over to the decoys and possibly present a shot. Then when he went past the decoys and just hung around so long(out of range) walking in circles................................never seen that either. When he came back in later(or was it another jake? ;-).........................that got the adrenaline going once again! I really thought that bird was gonna come in to the decoys that second time!

Well, it's another CLOSE CALL for the RutNut in Spring Gobbler season! (story of my life : ) But one of these days I am bound to get lucky!

It was great to finally meet you and your family! You and your brothers are definitely HARD CORE turkey hunters and it was a treat to hunt with you. Most guys I know around here tend to give up or at least taper off a bit the last 2 weeks of the season. If anything, it seems like you guys just dig in and hunt harder- especially in a tough season like this!

Well, I'm already getting prepared for next season(Lord willing)- hope to have the bullheads mounted on some longer arrows and shooting well.(just didn't feel comfortable with them on my standard arrows) Will bring a cooler to take a bird home and will have a "backup" blind from now on! ;-)

Well, thanks again Justin- it certainly was a memorable hunt. And thanks for the kind words . Hopefully we can get together this winter for some bunny hunting and/or ice fishing!

02-Jun-17
Justin, are you talking about the same rut that I know? LOL

02-Jun-17
LMBO! But I don't have that kind of time, Justin. I can barely keep up with 1 "handle!" ;-)

LOL Roy! : )

02-Jun-17
He is supposed to be coming to my farm next weekend. Been in camp with him on a yearly basis so I kind of know what to expect.

02-Jun-17
Been in camp with him on a yearly basis so I kind of know what to expect.

Yup, not much:) And always feeding his face:)

02-Jun-17
I've hunted deer and turkey with the Rut Nut several times. Just take his turkey calls away before you go into the woods and you might get a shot, LOL!

02-Jun-17
Justin was doing all the calling, and we STILL didn't get a shot! LOL! :)

Art- looking forward to it! Wanna see what kinda fish you got in that pond. Just wish I could use my AR on the groundhogs! : ( But I guess the PGC would frown on that until July 1st! ;-)

Roy- Justin and I put a hurtin' on a Ziploc bag full of marinated venison! We kept pullin' the pieces off the fire and putting more on. At one point his wife asked if she should get the 'taters and veggies. We just looked at each other and said "nah, we're kickin' it CAVEMAN-style tonight!" (and just put more MEAT on the fire ;-) Thought I was back at Marsh Hill for a while there.......................... : )

• Sitka Gear