bigbuckbob 07-Jul-17
Dr. Williams 07-Jul-17
N8tureBoy 09-Jul-17
soapdish 10-Jul-17
N8tureBoy 12-Jul-17
Dr. Williams 12-Jul-17
N8tureBoy 12-Jul-17
02-Jun-17
Down my way in Deep River and Chester, the Gypsy moths are out in full force. I have never seen this many in my life. They are already eating all the leaves off the oaks around where this area. Will definitely have a big effect on deer season.

Tim

02-Jun-17
Ive been seeing a lot in shelton

02-Jun-17
They defoliated southern Rhode Island last year

02-Jun-17
I was in Hebron last Sunday helping a friend with some outside work and the gypsy caterpillars were all over his house, even inside. Nothing in Southington where I live though.

02-Jun-17
Haven't seen any in enfield yet

02-Jun-17
I work in Southern RI, they peppered with them this year as well.

02-Jun-17
I finally broke down and sprayed my apple trees here in Killingworth. They are even on the white pines I bought a couple years ago.

03-Jun-17
We have a few here in Washington. Back in 1980 or 81 trees were stripped bare, damned things covered the sides of houses and people were painting rings of tar like substance around the bases of trees to try to stop them. It was a real mess. Some areas looked totally denuded. I was living in Newtown at that time and remember it well.

03-Jun-17
I saw a few in East Windsor last weekend.

03-Jun-17

N8tureBoy's Link
Hopefully the rain will help. Sounds like the fungus that attacks the gypsy moths needs rain, and the dry spring seasons we had for the last 2 years didn't help the fungus out. This May has been a lot more soggy so hopefully it will help

05-Jul-17

>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo
>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo

07-Jul-17
My yard was a winter wasteland from the caterpillars. They finally died or went into cocoons. My wife's garden around the trees looked like caterpillar mulch there were so many dead ones. Now, my winter looking trees are green again. The leaves have grown back, not quite full, but on the way. I thought they would be bare for the season, looks like we will be raking the yard this fall after all. Haven't seen an acorn yet though.

07-Jul-17
Now come the little white moths when they hatch.

07-Jul-17

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Dr. Williams's embedded Photo

09-Jul-17
Just got back from East Windsor. When I hung a stand there a month ago I saw a few caterpillars climbing up the oak tree. Was worried before I went back today that there might not be any leaves left, but I was happy to see the leaves were all there and there were a hundred dead caterpillars on the tree trunk. Hurray for fungus!

10-Jul-17
Two weeks ago the trees looked like winter time here in the Northeast corner. Now leaves are starting to fill back in. Mother nature is the best.

12-Jul-17
On second thought, I just realized that white nose fungus has decimated the local bat population. Hope this wet spring doesn't result in any more of them dying off. Any thoughts about this, Doc?

12-Jul-17
Wet weather wouldn't really impact white nose fungus. Those caves are pretty constant temp and humidity year round where the fungus thrives.

12-Jul-17
Good to know. Thx.

• Sitka Gear