Thornton 11-Jun-17
Chief 11-Jun-17
Forest bows 11-Jun-17
Habitat1 12-Jun-17
Thornton 12-Jun-17
Matte 12-Jun-17
Forest bows 12-Jun-17
02-Jun-17
Any recommendations on feeders. Open to making my own or buying. Thanks.

02-Jun-17
I THINK FEEDER IS A DIRTY WORD ON HERE YOU CAN BUY THEM PRETTY CHEEP NOW COST ABOUT AS MUCH TO MAKE

02-Jun-17
You don't need a feeder. Find cover and a well used trail or two that leads to and from bedding and feeding areas and you have the recipe for success.

Only thing feeders are good for....is educating the deer to you or your clients (if you are an outfitter) presence as they come and go from stands that are near or overlooking the feeders.

02-Jun-17
I manage a property where the landowner has long wanted feeders running year-round so he can drive out and see wildlife from his SUV. We've had the best luck with the Boss Buck's feeders, and their motor, too.

02-Jun-17
I set a feeder where three trails came togather where i found a public scrape tree in jan. I have never seen a tree worked like this it was a twenty foot bodark seting a feeder spooked the deer to me they came in but skidished not normal if you find a place like this dont mess with it where we hunt there is no food plots no ag just woods dont mess with the woods

02-Jun-17
Writer i thought u didnt hunt feeders all u guys are hipacrits

03-Jun-17
When did I say I did not hunt feeders, actually? Which I don't, now, but I have taken youth to them, sometimes, though. Oh, took a fireman who lost both legs once because we could drive him right to it. Is he a hypocrite? ...and what's a "hipacrit?"

03-Jun-17
What's a feeder? What's hunting? Does anybody really know anymore? Yea what is a "hipacrit"?

03-Jun-17

03-Jun-17
Broadcasting from a 5 gallon bucket might be the cheapest!

03-Jun-17
I run 6 feeders on the 3000 continuous acres I lease. I just watch the cameras and set up on the biggest bucks. Yes, that is plural as in multiple kills. I am not going to wait a year and be limited to one buck.

Suck it bitches!

03-Jun-17
He's back?

03-Jun-17
Never left I like watching you crybaby Kansas bitches wetting your pants over the tags I get EVERY year. Maybe if you piss and moan enough they will decrease the tags allotment? Hahhahahahhahahahaha

03-Jun-17
Does Bowsite tolerate this kind of trash talk? Hitman, please keep it clean.

03-Jun-17
You bet ferry jerry!

03-Jun-17
LMAO

04-Jun-17
Rick. Easy man! Your still a bow hunter. The Kansas guys will never love you but others will see your posts and not know your joking.

04-Jun-17
Not a "hunter" at all.

04-Jun-17
Don't take the bait Kyle!

04-Jun-17
Never do Forest

04-Jun-17
Hitman is a little over the top..... BUT, it is a little frustrating listening to the moaning of Resident hunters as if they OWN the deer herd. With that said.... The problem i believe, lies in the land owners leasing or outfitting their land, however, that is their right also. I don't care if they reduce the amount of NR tags or not. That is why i purchased our farm last September in SE Kansas Unit 12 and absolutely love it. I certainly love and respect Kansas, and my neighbors are some of the finest people i have met.

05-Jun-17
JD - Kansas is full of great people. Most of the ones on Bowsite fit that description. Turk started a world-wide movement of archers to support a girl dying of cancer. Kyle will be the first to show up if there's a youth hunt needing a guide. Thorton has a great medical career, but runs another business, too. Impressive for a kid his age. Nobody denies the landowner's right. But we also can not deny the changes that happened within deer "management" and the quality and quantity both decline. Some of us have been bowhinting more than 40 years. No offense, but you can't possibly comprehend the changes we've seen. It's not just our hunting spots, we all still hunt, but it's what the changes have done to those not as serious and our youth. I talk to so many who either have no place to hunt, or no good place. I have a long line of kids and vets I try to get out, but "the farmer's right" is making it harder and harder. Thanks for keeping it civil, JD

05-Jun-17
Rick, I respect your right to use foul language outside this forum, but we should all respect Bowsite's Code of Conduct that prohibits that kind of talk on this forum. 1. No Profanity. This includes cursing, sexual innuendo, vulgar statements 3. No Threatening, harassing, or abusive remarks. 5. No topics and/or statements which could be used to reflect poorly on archery and/or bowhunting.

05-Jun-17

AuburnTiger's embedded Photo
Single post mount version
Single post mount version
I ran across this feeder on Nashville Craigslist. I bought the single post model to see if it keeps out coons and feral hogs. If it works out, I plan to make my own. I do not allow any hunting over bait on our properties. Feeders are used to inventory bucks during the offseason.

05-Jun-17

He also had this model but it sits too low to the ground. A feeder like that on my property would feed mostly coons and hogs.

05-Jun-17
Could not have said it better writer !

05-Jun-17
Thanks....yeah looking to inventory a new place. Appreciate the opinions.

05-Jun-17
I found these feeders. For some reason they call them "Lonestar" feeders?

05-Jun-17

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Lonestar 2017
Lonestar 2017

05-Jun-17

Lonestar 2017A
Lonestar 2017A

05-Jun-17

The aftermath?
The aftermath?

06-Jun-17
That is the yellow brick road between Arkansas and Kansas lol

06-Jun-17
What do you mean by "inventory" a place? Like you can't scout to determine the quality of deer so you need to use bait? Wouldn't that draw in bucks that you may never see since you don't allow hunting over bait? What's the point of using corn to "inventory" if you don't plan to use it to hunt? Isn't that a false "inventory"? Or naw?

06-Jun-17
Cherney, PM me your phone number and I will be happy to explain how an annual deer census via camera works. It is a fairly reliable process. Thanks.

06-Jun-17
Feeders are a great place to put up cameras,no different than mineral licks

07-Jun-17
Man tough crowd!

08-Jun-17

Otownlongbeard's embedded Photo
Otownlongbeard's embedded Photo
I saw this one a few years back while out messing around. Pretty over the top. Big as the damn blind. Wonder how many bags it holds?

08-Jun-17
...all of this silliness, rudeness and money spent for the sake of antlers, which Mother Nature really intended to end up being squirrel turds in the end.

And this guy, standing in this glass house, is throwing no stones.

08-Jun-17
If you want to cause hate and discontent just say what I have been saying for decades. "The first person that put a tape measure on an antler should have been strung up on the nearest cottonwood".

08-Jun-17
Once said I wish they were all just 110" 8 pointers, so we could hunt because we love to hunt. Actually got raked over the coals, a lot. I miss the days when guys would drive 30 miles to congratulate a bowhunter who'd killed a basket-rack six-pointer.

08-Jun-17
I think in those days most people didn't use feeders, cameras, nice blinds, ozonics, range finder, etc, etc etc. Deer were a lot harder to kill it seemed as well. Today deer killing is easy but the sad thing is the hunt is the hard thing to find.

08-Jun-17
What's the difference between a blind and a "nice blind" Matte...made me chuckle.

Anyone with a tag in this state...R or NR can find a "hunt" IMO, most just choose not to.

08-Jun-17
I think most people associate Hunting with kill animals. Some value the process more some just like the adrenaline rush and and everything in between makes up the type of hunter you are. I don't view setting in a tree in the only wooded draw for miles as much as a hunt as hiking in 15 miles and getting shelter set up right before a blizzard....... Both hunting but way different. Every animal is different but if you want a "hunt" there is places to get it.

08-Jun-17
Matte, you may not be able to remember just how rare deer were in the 60s and 70s in most of Kansas. AnYTHING was an accomplishment. But we also didn't have the pressure of TV shows, people chastising us for killing one "that'd been a good one in a few years." I just miss the days when seeing a deer was something worth calling your buddies about and getting a shot, with a bow, was better than Christmas.

08-Jun-17
Mike, Those days are still here if you just don't care what anyone else thinks.

08-Jun-17
Writer we pheasant hunters haven't changed!!!!! Sometimes I wish all the deer would just die off but then people would find a way to ruin pheasant hunting.

09-Jun-17
Do y'all shoot pheasants with your bows? That would be a "hunt".

09-Jun-17
There are still plenty of ways to find quality hunting deer under free range and fair chase conditions. For me, it is less about the gear and more about the ground. Public land is an option but it has pros/cons. Private landownership is an option with its own pros/cons. Leasing is the option I choose but it too has its pros/cons. It is rewarding to see others enjoy hunting land that I manage. And yes I enjoy killing a deer on land that I manage. But I find it just as gratifying when someone other than me kills a deer on land that I manage.

09-Jun-17
Westksbowhunter, I'd like to pick your brain about pheasant hunting. I grew up quail hunting and trained my share of bird dogs. There's nothing like watching a well trained dog work.

09-Jun-17
How much land do you leas Jerry

09-Jun-17
About 8,000 acres in KS.

10-Jun-17
That's a bunch.

10-Jun-17
I found 7000 acres up for lease after harvest in the Flint Hills last week. Too bad the guy wants $7/acre

10-Jun-17
Unfortunately someone will pay it!

10-Jun-17
Seriously? I doubt anybody would lease it in its entirety. Tha would be $49,000 and there's no way to make money on that especially with much of it being grazed, open country

11-Jun-17
I would leas that all day. Where is it!

11-Jun-17
I know some ER docs that lease more than that. They drive up from Louisiana. First half is due June 1, and they bring the second half when they come to hunt.

11-Jun-17
ER doctors make over $300/hr in many places, so I can see that happening. Forest, it is up by my new place and is nowhere near your operation. I'm hoping to nab a prime 640 off it anyway. The guy doesn't care how many he leases to.

11-Jun-17
Your'e all damn fools...

11-Jun-17
Your right Dale.

12-Jun-17
You are getting real close to being able to make a land payment on a decent size piece

12-Jun-17
$49,000 would have only been a few thousand shy of paying off half my 80 acres when I bought it 7 years ago. I went to a farm auction about a month ago that was 160 acres with a creek, 3 ponds, 30+ acres of farmland, 20 acres CRP, and the rest hay meadows with quite a few trees along the creek. It had a house and barns as well. It had some huge deer come through the place during rut and quail and prairie chickens resided on the place. It only brought $1300/acre and was 12 minutes from Eureka.

12-Jun-17
If that is the place I'm thinking of nobody was going to bid against the guy who had rented it for years and his house bordered the property. This place was closer to Yates center though. Fiance's family owns a ton of ground over there and there was a discussion about this auction.

12-Jun-17
i just paid 2400 for a great 80

• Sitka Gear