>>---CTCrow---> 07-Jun-17
shawnm 07-Jun-17
bigbuckbob 07-Jun-17
Birdman 07-Jun-17
bigbuckbob 08-Jun-17
Richm444 26-Jun-17
shawnm 26-Jun-17
03-Jun-17
So birdman was kind enough to offer me Jerkey and I haven't had any in years so I couldn't decline the offer. Today I received it in the mail and before I could even make it home I had the package out and opened. The jerkey tastes amazing!! My 7 yr old son was killing it to. Absolutely love it and as a matter of fact I'm going for the last piece right now.. thanks a ton birdman and it goes to show how good of a group we really got here. Thanks a lot and it's greatly appreciated..

05-Jun-17
Glad you enjoyed it, Shawn! Have to say, I thought it was my best batch to date, I have been tweaking the recipe for a while, I think I have a keeper now!!

05-Jun-17
Shawnm - the next time I get a mature buck I'll send you some steaks. How old are you now? Wait a minute, I'm 66 so if I add 14 to that I get,.......... Well, it's the thought that counts.

05-Jun-17
Lol bbb.. we just have to look at it this way. The wait will be worth it!! Ya birdman you def got the recipe down. I'm sure it was a lot of experimenting and fine tuning but it was worth the effort. Great batch and taste!!!

05-Jun-17
BBB, you better start going on a killing rampage ha just kidding.

05-Jun-17
Thanks Birdman-

05-Jun-17
I had to re-register with a new name - I could not find a login page - I always automatically logged in for the last 10 plus years - don't know what happened

07-Jun-17
The big Matute buck BBB is going to shoot hasn't been borned yet. Heck..... his grandpa hasn't been borned yet!!!

07-Jun-17
Lol CT crow.. future generations to come.. I wanted to thank you richm. I greatly appreciate your generosity for going out of your way to send that to me. It tasted absolutely amazing. If you notice I wrote tasted because it's already gone. Lol.. I think you and birdman need to start up your own deer jerky business. Both of you combine your recipes and go from there. I'll be your first customer!!!! Great job rich and birdman.. loved the jerky!!!

07-Jun-17
shawnm - give a man a fish,...........you know the rest. So birdman, what's your secret sauce recipe? Willing to share, or you keeping it secret? Wouldn't blame you if you did.

I tried making jerky years ago and ended up using it to patch the holes in my boots. In fact, my boots tasted better (think it was the mink oil I used on my old Timberlands that made them so tasty).

This thread reminds me of a great Italian, retired co-worker who stops in from time to time and shows me pictures on his cellphone of the beautiful garlic bread loaves, pasta dishes, fish dishes, etc, etc that he makes and never brings me anything to sample. He goes into great detail to describe the fresh vegetables from his garden, how he seasons each dish and I can just smell and taste it! And he make his own wine,.....haven't seen any of that either. And that's why I'm headed back to Italy in Oct.

What's all this got to do with deer hunting?

07-Jun-17
BBB - I posted it in the original thread but happy to share - I usually double for a pound of raw meat, slice the meat 1/4" thick while still partially frozen. 1/4 cup bourbon, 2 tsp liquid smoke, 1/4 tsp prague powder #1 (curing salt), 1 tbsp molasses, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cracked black pepper, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp franks red hot (or more if you like) Marinate overnight, dehydrate for 4-6 hours until not quite done, turn off and leave in dehydrator for an hour, that will finish it to done.

08-Jun-17
Thank you sir! Printed it out and have it in my notes to self section of my file. Now, all I need is a deer, so let's see, where can I get one of those? Hmmmmmmm.

26-Jun-17
Shawn I sent you a pm did you get it ?

26-Jun-17
Yes rich just got it!!

• Sitka Gear