skookumjt 14-Jun-17
smokey 14-Jun-17
HunterR 14-Jun-17
HunterR 14-Jun-17
RutnStrut 14-Jun-17
razorhead 16-Jun-17
Foodploter 27-Jun-17
07-Jun-17
Spending most of my time at my cabin in the UP, I cross into Wis all the time. I am pleased so far as to what I see. I see a big increase of deer, and see deer crossing back roads at all times of the day...... I see this as I fish, almost daily,,,,,, seeing a lot of deer along the trout streams........

I am seeing an increase in logging operations, and trucks heading up to Sagola on a daily basis. Going into one of my honey hole trout spots, I could no longer get in, the USFS was building roads, getting ready to cut a piece, that had been marked 6 years ago. It was also nice to see a state truck there also.......

USFS personnel always helpful, showed me a map of more cuts that should be done by winter (ML and late archery spots)...... They are also glad to be "back at work" and bring back a healthier forest......

Now this is NE corridor on the border, so I can not speak for the rest of the north, but this area is less crowded, than the western part of the north,,,,,,,,,,,

MI is also making more grouse mgt areas, which of course, means deer,,,,,,, by the way, I know a heat wave is coming, but walleye and brook trout fishing has been real good

07-Jun-17
Huge logging operations have been going on for at least 10 years now and maybe longer in NW Wisconsin, have not seen the big increase in the deer herd because of this as you have. I visit the local forester every year to find out where they will be cutting before placing bear stands on County lands. Grouse hunting has been good every year. The stream trout fishing is fantastic every year also. Wishing Northern Bayfield County would have more restraint on the doe tags and hoping for a wolf season soon!

07-Jun-17
Spring is the time when almost all of the herd is out near the roads feeding...as these areas green up first...and I hope that doesn't lend itself to a false belief the herd is bigger than it is, because I think there's still room for improvement. I agree with MF they need to continue restraint on the doe tags another year to be safe...and A WOLF SEASON!

07-Jun-17
Unfortunately the bureaucrats that know little to nothing about deer numbers or the habitat seem to think there are too many deer in NW WI.

07-Jun-17
Rut - I've heard this unfounded statement way too often that are too many deer in NW Wisconsin. I wish our biologists would don a pair of boots and get out in the forest to see for themselves and note what the hell is going on. We also need a wolf season soon, like this year.

07-Jun-17
I hate to say it but I told... Yes, there has been planning for this for a while and now finally get into action.

Some think there are too many deer but we are far from the all time high so intelligent management means good times. don't discredit all with a broad brush.

07-Jun-17
I was up in Oneida county early April and thought things were improving. More deer seen and more deer sign.

08-Jun-17
Not seen this in VIlas/ Onieda counties. Last week wed-sat. I was doing a job in Arbor Vitae right off Hwy 70. Traveling about 12 miles from my place on 70 in St Germain. Seen 3 deer 1 day only. That day though I also seen 4 wolves. Not been seeing many at all while running my bear baits. Most are of closer to houses, and town. Even my squirrel feeding neighbors have mentioned the lack of deer.

08-Jun-17
Lots of deer in some of the subdivision settings, very few in the big woods and forests and rural areas. If you go to northern Wisconsin to hunt deer, hunt close to subdivisions and private yards. Wolves and coyotes are doing very well.

08-Jun-17
I think sawtooth, you paint too wide a brush, you should state what countys' you are talking about...... If you see 4 wolves in one day, like posted, that is a serious problem, when you think, that my friends, who log and work in the woods almost every day, rarely see wolves.......

There are too many wolves I agree, but how so many on this site, see more wolves, than some do in years, I tend to be puzzled...... When I trap, I see wolf sign, but it is tough to see one, at least where I roam

08-Jun-17
Iron County is where I hunt I haven't seen a big change in the deer herd but it improved a little nothing to get excited about.Wolves, I have come across lots of tracks been awhile since I saw one though.

08-Jun-17
I live and work in the woods near the Rusk/Sawyer line. I am seeing quite a few more deer again this year. I haven't seen a wolf in probably three months but I see sign pretty much every day. Turkeys are everywhere and I have been seeing lots of grouse as well.

08-Jun-17
I live and work in the woods near the Rusk/Sawyer line. I am seeing quite a few more deer again this year. I haven't seen a wolf in probably three months but I see sign pretty much every day. Turkeys are everywhere and I have been seeing lots of grouse as well.

08-Jun-17
Wow, sounds like the deer herd is really making a comeback in the north according to some of you, that's great news! Hopefully hunters will do their part and keep the population in check so the DNR doesn't have to step in with earn a buck or something of that nature. Anyway, good luck hunting up there this year should be a very productive hunting season according to some of what I read here.

09-Jun-17

Missouribreaks's Link

09-Jun-17
What ever happened to the latest dealings with de-listing wolves? I haven't seen or heard anymore.

09-Jun-17
I agree the wolves have increased, but still there are some areas, not affected by them, as others,,,,,,,, Obamas judges still rule the land, I do not believe they will be delisted, a dam shame, I just do not see it happening,,,,,, lots of false promises,,,,,,

Why Mt and Wy are treated differently than the great lakes is a puzzle to me,,,,,,

However even though we voted in Walker, he is still served by many pro wolf people in his DNR

09-Jun-17
The State doesn't have any control over the delisting. The same judge that reversed the ruling in WY is hearing the argument about WI. If that doesn't get reversed there appears to be support in Congress to remove them Legislatively but there is no telling with today's political climate. Either way something would have to happen this month to have a season this year.

09-Jun-17
I know the state has no control, but I also know how pro wolf so many in our state agency are,,,,

Things sure must be better in Bayfield, I about fell over when I saw the 2017 available antlerless tags

10-Jun-17
razorhead....many hunters are and were disappointed when they recommended doe tags for Bayfield County. They have all these meetings and no matter what is said or how many people show up to voice there concerns, it doesn't matter, they the DNR will do what they want!

10-Jun-17
I could not believe it, 4000 tags for private and 2000 or so for public,,,,,, wow

10-Jun-17
It would be nice if nobody bought them. Not a one.

10-Jun-17
During the rifle season a few years ago when you had to register deer (Holiday Gas Station/Youth Hunter) I witnessed a pretty good heated verbal argument while filling my gas tank between hunters while a doe was being registered.

10-Jun-17
Glad to hear about the deer sightings Razor. Can't wait to get back up there this fall.

10-Jun-17
With all the reports of more deer and more deer sightings in the "northwoods" (some in this very thread) doesn't it make sense that the DNR would give out more tags? I assume the overall idea is more deer = more tags and less deer = less tags, but that's just a guess on my part.

10-Jun-17
My buddy from Cable, who comes over and fishes with me, is fed up,,,,, he has lost all faith in cdac, he is fuming mad,,,,,, retired and single, he is selling out, which his place will go fast, and is moving, near his brothers, in the Black Hills.....

He said there is no way, they should give out those many tags, deer mgt, for his county he says is a joke,,,,,,, He also talked to friends in central Wis, (Wood County) that have deer, and they only allowed 100 public tags,,,,,,, he is fed uup

10-Jun-17
Spend a lot of time in Lincoln & Langlade countys fishing remote streams & pot holes . I'm seeing a lot more Deer this year . Of course they will hand out Doe tags like popcorn . We are up to our ass in Eagles . Every pond & stream has an Eagle sitting in a tree . Wonder how that may impact things in the future ?

10-Jun-17
Haven't seen you post in a while Ruger. How have you been?

10-Jun-17
With all due respect to people on here, but.....how can you be seeing more deer this year than last year?

10-Jun-17
Last year I had my grandson along.

10-Jun-17
Mike seeing more deer, because, and this is only me saying this, for whatever reason, no where near the wolves, most are from Vilas Co and west, and have no explanation for that....... Lot more younger forest coming up, lots of select cutting over here, and again, have no idea why....... But I can assure you, seeing deer on a good basis, and especially trout fishing, like Ruger is..............

should we have doe tags, well maybe some, but no where near, what they are going to hand out

11-Jun-17
Not many deer in Oneida when I recently vacationed there, lots of wolf sign. Deer concentrated in human populated areas.

11-Jun-17
well between the wolves and all those doe tags, do not have to worry about rebuilding the herd in Bayfield County, that is for sure,,,,,, I shot some great bucks there, man we use to pass so many small bucks, and the gene pool was so good,,,,,,, that place must suck now

11-Jun-17
Ran the bear baits late this morning. Seen quite a few deer out and about before being ran out of the woods with the storms. I don't know how the animals can stand the skeeters??

12-Jun-17

Cheesehead Mike's Link
In Polk County Central Farmland Zone where I live we have a lot of deer and the DNR is allotting a total of 5800 antlerless tags.

In Bayfield County the DNR is allotting a total of 7150 antlerless tags! It is absolutely insane! How the hell can they give out more antlerless tags in Bayfield County than Polk County?!

I was hoping for some recovery in Bayfield County due to the mild winters but it appears that the DNR is going to make sure that doesn't happen!!!!

13-Jun-17
Polk County has 623 sq. mi. deer range; Bayfield County has 1410 sq. mi. deer range.

14-Jun-17
And a hell of a lot more predators and severe winter impact in Bayfield County.

I guarantee you that Polk County has more deer than Bayfield County... a lot more deer!

14-Jun-17
I have to question how any numbers can be generated since Wisconsin no longer has a registration system or any data process.

14-Jun-17
Smokey....are we not still registering our deer?

14-Jun-17
Not with any viability or accuracy.

14-Jun-17
With every year the WI DNR goes backwards in regards to deer management. Yet we are supposed to blindly trust them?

14-Jun-17
Correction. The Legislature goes backwards. The DNR follows the directives from them.

14-Jun-17
Skook +1

14-Jun-17
"Correction. The Legislature goes backwards. The DNR follows the directives from them."

The legislature comes up with the deer and wolf population estimates? The legislature decides how many deer tags to hand out? The legislature is responsible for the blown out of proportion CWD sky is falling scare tactics the DNR used and attempts to continue to use? The list goes on and on.

Some of you are so DNR whipped it's not even funny. Maybe Pat Durkin can pop in and give his biased opinion too.

14-Jun-17
"Smokey....are we not still registering our deer? "

"Not with any viability or accuracy. "

If that's the case, then there really is no reason to even be required to register deer. Guess that no registration needed idea with deer and turkey hunting makes a lot of sense and would be a wise change.

14-Jun-17
The legislature overused EAB so badly that it had to be taken away?

16-Jun-17
I just read in WON that our head deer manager, and I can not spell his name, is very satisfied with the call in registration, and his data is better than what they have received before........ read the article, the data is more accurate........

I think he would know better than anyone,,,,,, he likes it

makes no difference to me, if we have to tag a deer or not, ...........

27-Jun-17
I hunt the very tip of the NE corner of wisconsin. Deer numbers are way up!, we were never in as rough of s hape as other areas. Good logging, and low number of wolves.. the local guys have cleaned out the wolf population.. maybe its time hunters do what needs to be done! Little food for thought.

• Sitka Gear