turkulese 14-Jun-17
Westksbowhunter 15-Jun-17
turkulese 15-Jun-17
Westksbowhunter 15-Jun-17
Thornton 17-Jun-17
08-Jun-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Saw this young bull elk today up on I-70 near Goodland.

08-Jun-17
Well dam that sucks. There is quite the herd in an area not far from there.

08-Jun-17
They'll make more

08-Jun-17
Last I checked, the state has seven reproducing populations.

A cow was hit by the McPherson Valley Wetlands two years ago and and a spike just outside of Newton five or six before that. Last year a bull was road-killed a few miles north of Arlington. A probable state-record archery kill was killed from a herd along the Ninnescah last fall, or the fall before. I've seen pics. Nice bull. A friend shot a bull in Wallace County a few years ago, and it was running with cows and calves. There may be more elk along the Arkansas River, out west, than the herd in Fort Riley. No doubt they're trying to make a comeback, but ag interests probably won't allow it. Be fun to listen to them bugle, while hunting teal or doves.

09-Jun-17
I know of at least 12 cows and six bulls in that area. A friend posted a mid Winter water tank trail cam photo on Twitter but then took it down. I knew the water tank as I had walked past it for years.

09-Jun-17
Which area, Matt?

09-Jun-17
There have been a picture south of Mulvane next to my place and know of several sheds picked up by Atlanta

09-Jun-17
I know an outfitter in Colorado whose grandfather homesteaded Crystal Creek. He said there were no mountain elk in the late 1800's until the plains hunters pushed them there. They had monstrous mulies and bears though. I have seen the hides and antlers and 30" wide bucks were very common.

10-Jun-17
That's because they were able to live for more than 3 years!

11-Jun-17
In the Broken Country out where the Bull died.

13-Jun-17
Just put in yesterday for the Elk lottery for Ft. Riley. My buddy shot a 360 class bull there back in the late 90'S. Would be awesome to arrow a KS elk.

13-Jun-17
Good luck in th draw. Even better luck finding a 360 there, these days. Unfortunately. 2003 was probably the last year for consistent big bulls. We averaged 330-340 that year.

14-Jun-17

hpd503's embedded Photo
hpd503's embedded Photo
Here is the one that was hit just outside of Newton a few years ago. Shame it went to waste. Disclaimer, not me in the photo....

14-Jun-17
Was fortunate enough to tag along on a few elk hunts on Ft. Riley. Amazing place, but it's a very difficult hunt... some nice bulls there, I think we saw one that would break 300 in the past 2 years. Bigger ones are there and have been killed in that timeframe but they are not abundant and they are smart. They know the "off-limits" areas well. Hope to draw someday... putting in for points for now, but I'm more looking for someone to tag along with on an archery elk hunt in Colorado someday.

15-Jun-17
Turk I have been waiting on retirement to go elk hunting. I am thinking about jumping the education ship at 55 so I can go before I pick up my cane. 3 more years!

15-Jun-17
West, if you're looking for a partner. Count me in. Today is my last official day on the education ship. The farming ship may sink, but I will have a little more freedom... at times.

15-Jun-17
Dang I did not know that. I took a couple of years off just to get a break from coaching which slowed me up a couple of years towards my 85. My wife will have her 85 points at 53. When you get done with corn and milo this fall give me a shout and we can shoot a rooster or 2. Good luck.

17-Jun-17
I believe that is the bull my friend tried to get a salvage tag for. The person who hit it and the officer were fine with him taking it but a warden showed up and refused to let my friend have it. He said the warden was a real jerk about the whole thing.

• Sitka Gear