Jeff Durnell 08-Aug-17
RC 08-Aug-17
Rut Nut 08-Aug-17
RC 08-Aug-17
Jeff Durnell 11-Aug-17
Teeton 04-Sep-17
Teeton 05-Sep-17
10-Jun-17
Well today Saturday June 10th I started my whitetail scouting this morning, I spent about 6 hours at one of the places I hunt. Walking around looking to see if it will have a acorn crop, checked out an area that burnt this spring. Put up a camera. Didn't see any deer but I was not walking in a way that deer would stick around. Just trying to get a good overview of the place.

Next weekend my girl friend is going away so I'm thinking of scouting out a place that's just under 3k acres thats in Wayne County by the Delaware River. Going up early Saturday morning, scouting all day. Camping Saturday night some place near by and then scouting some more early Sunday morning. Maybe hanging a camera or two.

If anyone maybe interested coming along . Pm me for details. It's always more fun to have someone along. Ed

11-Jun-17
Dan and Rut were here this weekend, mostly fishing, but we put up a couple cameras and made some mental notes on where trails were coming out to the fields. Dan saw a buck out past his ears already. Driving around we saw lots of game, even a snapping turtle crossing a plowed field, no where near water. Fun weekend.

14-Jun-17
Yes! The elusive FIELD TURTLE- LOL! Still can't believe we saw that! ;-)

Ed- I may be interested if I have nothing going on with the family. I will check and get back to you.

15-Jun-17
Need to find the best broadhead for field snapping turtles. I'm thinking fixed blade over expandables. Go heavy. What would Roy use? Ought 6 probably?

15-Jun-17
Roy would never hunt dangerous game.

15-Jun-17
Yes I would.

16-Jun-17
Those seen away from water this time of year are females going to lay eggs.

Roy, did you eat it? Keep the skin for bow grips?

Hooks and traps are legal, not rifles. The season ain't in yet anyway, ya turtle poacher. July 1st.

Some turtle trivia.... snappers can stay under the ice of a pond for up to 6 months without taking a single breath.

You can tell their age by counting the rings on their shell's plates, like the growth rings of a tree.

The vast majority of what they eat is vegetation, not fish, ducks, small children and such.

16-Jun-17
Yeah, Jeff- we knew it was fishing tackle only. And that this is egg laying season. We've seen many along the rail trails that are next to rivers this time of year, but never out in the middle of a plowed field nowhere near water. Just looked funny! ;-)

16-Jun-17
I saw one like that too several years ago. Out in a plowed field, hundreds of yards from water, and still going. Maybe going that far, they're headed to a different water source. That would be a long hike for baby turtles.

16-Jun-17
Yup and it was heading to our pond. Last thing I want in our pond is a snapper that could bite a paw off our lab. She spends a lot of time in that pond.

16-Jun-17
I was stalked by a good size snapper years ago while fishing in our pond in a belly boat. Luckily it never got real close, but I was a little nervous with my legs dangling in the water and a stringer of trout tied to it. ;-)

16-Jun-17
Yeah, they can make ya nervous when they're close, but they don't seem to bother people unless we mess with them. When we were younger, they were always around us as we waded out and fished swampy coves in Lake Arthur. They'd swim off a distance if we got too close and just kinda follow and keep an eye on us. I even inadvertently stepped on and bumped into a couple. Turtles are ok. I trust them more than I trust some people ;^)

16-Jun-17

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
This time of year we see a bunch of turtles on the course everyday. Snappers, Box, Painted. Unless we have to move them to mow, we let them do their thing.

16-Jun-17
But, but... they may decide remove one of our appendages or disembowel us in a demonic rage. Lol.

16-Jun-17
Cool pic Jethro! : )

17-Jun-17

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Out scouting today 6/17/17. Packed into a spot a few miles in. Speding the night and hiking out tomorrow. Hiking with Rut Nut.

18-Jun-17
Good info Mike.

18-Jun-17

Rut Nut's MOBILE embedded Photo

Well, we covered some ground! Saw couple grouse(different spots), 2 hen turkeys with about 10 youngins and many deer. Lots of sign and good views! : )

18-Jun-17

Did more "bushwacking" than I've ever done! Probably couple miles. Good thing I had the mt. hikers.

Here's Ed all loaded up.

24-Jun-17
Went scouting/shrooming this morning on a state game land. It's rocky and steep back in there. Covered some new ground and saw fresh sign of deer, bear, and raccoons. I saw some grey squirrels that let me get pretty close too. Guess they don't see many folks back in there. Found some reishi and crown tipped coral mushrooms that I brought home... the likes of which you'll NEVER see at Walmart.

24-Jun-17

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo

24-Jun-17

24-Jun-17
Nice.

25-Jun-17

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Found some while scouting today.

25-Jun-17

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

25-Jun-17

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Well got back out and setup a camera where Perry and I scouted last week. You can see the camera on the left side of the pic on a tree.

This is a big mountain area that's about 5 to 6k continuous acres with no roads breaking it up. Being fairly steep and that I found the better spots being a little over an hour away from where you can park, it's not hunted hard at all.

On my visits I aways see deer and most times turkey. The biggest buck I've seen in the last few years was there. I've only been to this spot about 8 times, but only hunted it once in rifle bear, once in rifle deer and one afternoon in archery , the rest just scouting. This summer I'm trying to really get to know it. I have 2 other spots I'd like to get cameras out at.

Next scouting trip I hope to get at least one camera out and scout an area I have not been to that butts up against a farm.

25-Jun-17
That big deer I saw on this property was in bear season. I also saw two decent other buck on that day. The day I hunted it in rifle season I only saw a small buck and a few doe, but I was more interested in covering ground to get to know it. So I guess I was not really in hunt mode. I don't think I saw a deer the afternoon that I hunted it in archery season. Again I think I was more interested in covering ground. Hopefully by early September I'll know it better and have 3 or 4 stands set and hopefully a few other stand spots picked out and ready to go if needed.

Like treerat, I too am using cameras for inventory reasons.

26-Jun-17
Cannot wait to get home from Georgia and check the farm. Crops got planted. 3 cameras to check. Mushroom spots to check. Been seeing some strange ones popping up over night here around my daughter's house. Still see a deer or 2 in the old farm fields around here.

27-Jun-17
Wow! Sunday a couple of hours before dark I put a camera out right behind my house. I put the camera out and put down red Trace mineral salt with a commercial salt that smells like apples, to get them to find the lick fast. When putting the cam out one of the plugs on a side port I forgot to put in. So Monday even after work I went out to put the plug in and I less than 24 hours I had 36 pic's on the cam on 1 minute delay. Only one pic had nothing in it.

27-Jun-17
Maybe you should hunt off your back deck this year, Ed! ;-)

28-Jun-17
Treerat, you couldn't find a mushroom if ya fell head first in the produce section at Wal-Mart. And ya couldn't get a squirrel if ya hid under a pile of nuts.

LOL

28-Jun-17
I've been out hanging stands. All my scouting was over in late winter. Can't wait for the opener!

29-Jun-17

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Out mowing yesterday and found this on a cherry tree stump behind my deer target. I think it is a young sheepshead. What do you think Jeff? There are more growing close by in the grass.

29-Jun-17
Art, that doesn't look like a sheepshead. Kinda similar, but I don't think it is. This is a little too early for sheepshead. I think it's a black staining polypore. If you look closely, you can see how it gets its name. When bruised, it turns black at the site of injury.

29-Jun-17
Jeff I've came across that mushroom Art posted. Is it edible?

29-Jun-17
My books say it is Bill, but I've never eaten any. Don't take my word for it though. Do your homework. I don't want to be responsible for your hallucinations :^)

29-Jun-17
Good info Jeff. I thought the same about being too early. Good description. Brush hogged for a few hours today. Jumped a couple fawns. Saw a couple snakes while off the tractor moving big rocks.

29-Jun-17
Sheepshead like oak trees too, not cherry too often. I think I only found one small one near a cherry tree last year.

Buddy of mine caught a black timber rattler last weekend. Big one.

30-Jun-17

Getting morning pictures of a pretty decent bear 10 yards from one of my stands, (Perry). Lots of does hanging around there too.

30-Jun-17

Big bucks are out back.

30-Jun-17
LOL! Nice Art! : ) Is that the new trailcam?

30-Jun-17

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
OK picked up a camera card from one of my cameras I put out the second week of june. This picture is a snap shot of my computer monitor I took with my phone. My trail camera took this picture about 6-13-17. (I forgot to set date on camera) So what you think?

01-Jul-17
The primos camera is, yes. He has a nice shape to him Ed.

02-Jul-17
It should. That's similar to what I've experienced in the mts at camp, minus the cameras ;^) Good post, Mike.

Of course there are exceptions and I've seen does bedding anywhere up and down the hills they please, and the area's biggest bucks cruising and fighting down low at mid day, but in general, what you mentioned can put folks near more deer in the hills.

02-Jul-17
My experience is similar to treerat's. The Wensels put it best - bed high, rut low. In most of the places I hunt the bucks most often bed a little higher than treerat's expereince - just over the downwind side of a ridge. And the does generally bed lower. During the pre-rut period of the early season it seems that the best early morning stands for me have been about 1/4 down from the ridge. Depending on wind I've seen lots of bucks cruising just off the ridge looking for does.

02-Jul-17
Good post, Mike.

02-Jul-17

Boobacker's embedded Photo

02-Jul-17

1/2 mile from Warren Pa.
1/2 mile from Warren Pa.

03-Jul-17
That looks to be some nice potential on those velvet bucks!

Denny- was that feeder empty before the bear took it down?

04-Jul-17
I saw at least 10 poults scurrying in front of my tractor after their mother took flight. They all flew too, eventually. Looked too small to fly, but they did.

05-Jul-17

It was Full Perry he got it down for his Girl friend !!! LOL

05-Jul-17
DINK...

05-Jul-17
Yes, let's see u drag this puppy out if the woods.

05-Jul-17
Ill hunt 10 yards up hill from a road.

05-Jul-17
....like usual.

05-Jul-17
Shoot three fingers under mushroom boy..

05-Jul-17

Bourbonator's embedded Photo
Bourbonator's embedded Photo
I'm on a monster 11pt.

05-Jul-17

05-Jul-17

06-Jul-17
Nice bud.

06-Jul-17
LOL! Denny! :)

That one looks much bigger than the other 2. He must have raided a LOT of bird feeders! ;-)

06-Jul-17
The people had 15 different bear coming in, they also had a feeder, they r done feeding them cause they are getting to brave. Coming in all times of the day and going up on there porch and ripping up there above ground pool! They have feed bear for about 10 years, but these ones are getting brave, other ones would bring there Baby cubs and play in yard for hours, the lady just don't TRUST these bears.

06-Jul-17
Yeah, not a good idea to have feeders out this time of year. People do that around here too(feed the bears), until something bad happens. Several neighbors have had their dogs mauled by one.

13-Jul-17

I went scouting again today, learned some things I didn't know about deer and mushroom shared ecology, found a good place to hunt, saw twin fawns that trusted me too much, and grabbed some chanterelles for dinner(s).

13-Jul-17

13-Jul-17

Reishi and crown-tipped coral mushrooms were collected two weeks ago(saw more today), chanterelles for the next 3-4 weeks, then it will be time for hedgehogs, then sulfurs, then sheepshead... then time to make some meat.

Saw a pair of twin fawns today. Cute little buggers.

13-Jul-17
Ok, already mentioned the fawns. Lol

Hey ED! Where are ya? You gettin in on some of this shroomin? It's another great year. Better get yer butt out there.

13-Jul-17
By the way, just so you guys know, chanterelles are some of the best tasting mushrooms you'll ever eat. Healthy? Heck yeah! Gourmet restaurants wait for them this time of year. If you want to give a looksee, look now, along grassy, mossy, and/or weedy walking paths, quad trails, etc that meander through oak woods... south facing slopes.... 3 or 4 days following soaking rains.... with temps in the 80's. Happy hunting. Thank me later ;^)

14-Jul-17
I've heard that about chantrelle's Jeff. Prized by the best chefs.

I really need to get my butt out in the woods looking for some of this stuff. I usually am either scouting for critters or fishing or something other than looking for forage at this time of year.

So Jeff- are those 'shrooms on the drying rack just air-drying? You don't put them in the oven do you?

14-Jul-17
Rut, the only reason I put them on the racks was to get them out of the plastic bags I had them in and let them get some air. Mushrooms with a lot of moisture in them can get funky in plastic. I have breathable bags I usually use, but didn't have them with me yesterday.

I rinsed the mushrooms, trimmed the ends, and brushed away any dirt with a toothbrush, put them in gallon ziplock bags and froze them.

15-Jul-17

Back out again today since first light. Saw two bucks in Moraine not far from a stand site of mine and two fawns on the game lands. Found chanterelles on the game lands and oysters and baby chanterelles in Moraine.

15-Jul-17

15-Jul-17

More butchering ;^)

15-Jul-17
3:30 Most cleaned and put up. Whew, this is more work than collecting venison. You guys that just hunt deer should count your blessings. I'm exhausted. Big day planned for tomorrow as well.

Wife saw what I collected today and say "Enough. How many mushrooms do you think we can eat? The whole freezer will be full of mushrooms. We won't have room for meat."

I'm not quitting. They don't last. And sometimes none can be found for years at a time. Ya gotta make make hay while the sun shines.

...and we have a dehydrator, so.... blah, blah, blah.

16-Jul-17

Saw a bobcat this morning. That was cool. Saw two bucks. One let me walk on by and never got out of his bed.

Justin, I picked these especially for you. Just need your mailing address.

16-Jul-17
Treerat, thanks for ur input. I'm trying to get as much scouting time on this place as I can. It's 3000acres 95 % wooded and its all ridges and valleys,,, miles of ridges and valleys :) ...

I see a lot of deer sign every time I'm there and yesterday was the first time there that i don't see a deer. So far I found 3 areas that have apple trees and they are loaded with apples.

The smallest area of apple trees is only about 3 or 4 acres but has 10 or 15 trees. The next area is about 20 to 30 acres and the apple trees are more spread out but there's 1 spot that's has about 7 or 8 trees all with in 150 yards or less.

The other spot may have the most apple trees and is just only about 15 acres, but is close to a road. My guess is this group of trees will be hunted by others.

The 3 or 4 acre spot I found yesterday I did a track back and its 3533 yards back to the truck. This spot I liked the best of the 3 apple spots I've found so far. I'm sure I can shave 1000 maybe as much as 1500 yard off that route by not taking an old trail back to the truck. That trail did wind around a lot and taking a more direct route will save many steps... Ed

16-Jul-17
Double post

17-Jul-17
Hey Guys, Just joined the site and am getting a lot of good info. Always wanted to get in the mushroom game but was always warned against it. Very dangerous, poisonous, look similar to good ones, etc., etc., etc., Any good field guide recomendations or tips for finding decent mushrooms to eat while I scout? Any specific types found in PA to definitely stay away from? Thanks!

17-Jul-17
OK- that's what I thought Jeff. Man, you must REALLY like mushrooms! ;-)

17-Jul-17
Sammy, there are several good books, websites, and apps. One specific to our area is... "Field Guide to Wild Mushrooms of Pennsylvania and Mid Atlantic", by Bill Russell

Any to stay away from? Yes, ANY that you're not 100% sure of. The last one i posted a picture of, the Jack-o-lantern, is poisonous. That said, there are some edible ones in Pa that are pretty unique and easy to identify. I started with Sheepshead, Morels, and Sulfur Shelfs. Google them, and check a few mushroom websites. A little studying will help you safely identify them. Sulfur Shelfs (chicken mushrooms) will start showing themselves next month, with Sheepshead right on their heels.

None of them should be eaten without cooking first. So far, every wild mushroom I've eaten has had its own taste and consistency.

17-Jul-17
Jeff - Was that bobcat sighting close to home / Butler County? Just curious.

17-Jul-17
Kirk, yes, in the game lands at Moniteau.

17-Jul-17
Awesome. Thanks Jeff. Will start looking :)

17-Jul-17
Jeff- that's really nice of you to send those mushrooms to Justin! ;-)

17-Jul-17
Perry, I live close enough to Jeff that I get them delivered personally. LOL.

18-Jul-17
Nice! :)

18-Jul-17
Not much post on deer scouting... :(

19-Jul-17
Been busy with swim meets, visiting my sick mom and taking my son to a Spartan race Ed. Things are starting to wind down with swimming, so my scouting should pick up significantly in the next couple weeks. Will post what I find.

23-Jul-17
S%S yes look at deer counts as scouting.

Perry hope to get up for a few hours this weekend coming, if all work out.

26-Jul-17

Still exploring new ground, finding hundreds of chanterelles, and working at identifying new species.

26-Jul-17

Yum!

27-Jul-17
What the heck is THAT???!!! That's weird looking!

27-Jul-17
Rut, it's called Old Man of the Woods.

I call them Royshrooms :^)

Yeah, it is weird looking. Looks like someone crumbled Oreos on top of it.

27-Jul-17
LOL Jeff! I bet it is TOXIC! ;-)

27-Jul-17
I set out trail cams, all I get is deer, bear and coyote. Never ever, do I get mushrooms..

27-Jul-17
Rut, Roy's toxic, but Royshrooms are edible. Go figure :^)

Teeton and Stick n String... wander away on occasion from those cheatcams, you know, lean instead towards becoming a woodsman... and one day such gourmet lifeforms and prescripts will begin to throw themselves at you. Treat yourselves to woodsy enrichment, health ... and your families to pinnacles of wild culinary delight like they've never tasted. Look beyond the deer, my dears.

I've harvested several hundred pounds of such wild edibles from under the noses of self-purported 'outdoorsmen/women' hiking/hunting/fishing/trapping the same ground. It's amazing. And kinda sad.

I don't trespass or steal wild life on public or private land, nor do any shroomers I know. I just got a response email today from the PGC telling it's legal to gather, forage, and rove with a bow on the state's game lands.

Four days in a row this week, I've hit hotspots of chanty gold. Now's the time, you woodsmen, you. Get some o' this. Fruity, peachy, savory, abundant gold.... or just sit there.

Wander. Don't wonder.

28-Jul-17
Bowsite?:)

28-Jul-17
Wait, you have problems with trespassers stealing from you? In Pa? Say it isn't so!!! Not here, the residents of Pa are just so darn honest... I can not believe what I am reading..

29-Jul-17
Yep. Maybe I'm eating the wrong ones ;^)

Today I found hundreds of chanterelles. I did some homework, then went to 4 places and found them at each place. The best spot is unfreakingbelievable. The holy grail. What sucks is the game commission must be getting ready to log it because there's blue and red ribbon on trees down through there. The ribbon wasn't there last year when I squirrel hunted there. Seems like as soon as a patch of oaks reaches maturity, they butcher them. Yeah, we wouldn't want game on the game lands to have any mature trees to live in or have any mast to eat!!! Money grubbin jerks. I would rather pay higher license fees than lose hunting area... but that wouldn't stop them. They'd do both.

Rant over. I've got butchering to do : ^)

01-Aug-17

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Did a little butchering myself, Jeff! Mrs. Pabowhunter1064 spotted this cauliflower mushroom, and turned it into an amazing soup!!

01-Aug-17
Ewww yeah. Nice find. I haven't found one yet this year. Congrats.

01-Aug-17
Thanks, Jeff. I've noticed more mushrooms in the woods the past couple of weeks, than I can ever remember. Found some chanterelles by a creek, but heavy rains swelled over the bank and pretty much waterlogged them all. I've marked there location, and hopefully get to them sooner next year.

01-Aug-17
Good for you guys. That's great. Hopefully this front that's coming through thur/fri will bring some good steady rain and sprout some fresh ones.

Justin, yeah it's weird, sometimes a few will grow big while a foot or two away others are medium or small sized. Lots of factors I'm guessing.

If they're young enough, there may not be any bugs in them, but they seem to get bugs in the stem pretty quickly here. If they're not too bad in that regard, and nice otherwise, I take them home and split them in half. They'll split right in half if you put your thumbs together in the center of the cap and pull apart just so. Then inspect the stem, if it's been ravaged by bugs, cut it off and just keep the cap. There's usually no damage to it, maybe a tiny hole... easily removed. Then just rinse them off good, and they'll be fine.

In my experience, bug damage on the outside/under the cap happens a lot less often and is generally done by slugs. I pitch them.

It's a good idea to trim all the stems as you're picking them, before you put them in the bag. It gets rid of most of the dirt which saves time cleaning at home.

07-Aug-17

I found hundreds of chanterelles today on my way home. Many were just past their prime, but I managed to pick a grocery bag full of good ones. Some were quite large in this area for some reason.

07-Aug-17

Nice, Jeff!

My wife and daughter found a couple of these Old Man of the Woods...cleaned em up, fried em in butter, and I must say....might be the best shrooms I've ever eaten! Wow!! Bet they'd go great on top of some medium rare deer chops!!

07-Aug-17

....and speaking of tender deer chops....

Can't wait for October!!

07-Aug-17
Good to know, Josh. I haven't eaten one yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a fresh one.

Wish I was retired. Not enough time in a day to do all I want to do.

07-Aug-17

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Trail cam picture..

07-Aug-17
Lol. You got too much time on your hands, Roy.

07-Aug-17
Ya but it's better than those stupid where's my doe tags threads.. LOL

07-Aug-17
LMBO! : )

07-Aug-17
No ya didn't see me shooten.

08-Aug-17
Good deer sign at least a mile from the nearest road.

08-Aug-17
Scouting this time of year? Single most important actual sign? Crap.

The first part of the season they're in chow mode, all of em. It's about food... and cover. This time of year I look for availability of favorite food sources in good cover and/or seclusion. In there, where they spend the most time feeding, will be the most and freshest poop. The safer they feel the more time they'll spend there, the more likely you'll see them in daylight hours, any deer in the area could show up... doe, buck, big or little, and the less likely their pattern is to change from the usual hunting pressure. Things change as October wears on, and I adapt, but this is how I start it off. Find the food, cover, and poop(sign), and hunt the places that are full of it ;^)

08-Aug-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

08-Aug-17
Now ya did see me shoot, sticker.. And I won the poker shoot at the camp out:)

08-Aug-17
Now I know why you didn't lose any arrows. You're just pretending to shoot. Next time put an arrow on the bow. :)

Seriously, nice form and follow through.

08-Aug-17
Where was that shoot held, the Camo Slipper Club? :^)

08-Aug-17
No Jeff, at the Butler County mushroom pickers club:)

08-Aug-17
LOL Jeff! :) But don't let him fool you...........................................only thing he won at the Campout was the 50/50! ;-)

08-Aug-17
Ya better check on that rut butt. I won the traditional poker shoot.

11-Aug-17
No, they use trail cameras. Lol

Seriously though, I don't know about these guys, but I find many of the folks I know sit in the exact same stand or two every year and do no scouting whatsoever unless they lose their spot for some reason.

To me, hunting is more about exploring new ground and reading/deciphering how the animals use it. It's about hunting, seeking, pursuing... not sitting and waiting. Which is largely why I got away from treestands.

For many years when I did use a treestand, I tried to find at least one good stand site on new ground every year, which kept me actively scouting, hunting, learning and I usually found several. I used only a portable and ended up with dozens of stand sites I'd use depending on food, wind direction, rut phase, etc. I NEVER hunted a spot two days in a row... at least three days between and sometimes I'd wait weeks to hunt a spot if the wind wasn't right. My 'stand sites' were never over hunted, and I don't know how many times I killed deer the first or second time I'd hunt a new place.

04-Sep-17
Well I did some scouting this weekend and liked what I saw. In a 4 hour hike I saw 9 deer and 2 bear. 1 deer looked really good as it was running straight away, could not count points but he had nice mass and looked to be about 18 plus spread. One bear was about 200 +- and was eating apples, the other was walking parallel to the trail that i was on and I could of easily got a shot off as he walked to within 25 yards. The one eating apple, I bet I could of stalked with in 25 yd of him. At 75 he had no idea I was there and the tall grass would of concealed me and kept the noise down.. Really looking forward to that first week of November. Ed

05-Sep-17

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Found this stand why scouting. How long u think it was in this tree?

• Sitka Gear