Mathews Inc.
Public testimony sign up - Rabbit Mount.
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
Grasshopper 14-Jun-17
Retired-11-2000 15-Jun-17
Walltenthunter 21-Jun-17
Walltenthunter 21-Jun-17
yooper89 21-Jun-17
Walltenthunter 21-Jun-17
Mathewsshootr2 22-Jun-17
huntingbob 23-Jun-17
Grasshopper 23-Jun-17
rideold 23-Jun-17
COLOH2OFWLR 25-Jun-17
Walltenthunter 26-Jun-17
Walltenthunter 26-Jun-17
14-Jun-17

Grasshopper's Link
Tuesday June 20th at 3pm you can testify support for the Rabbit Mountain elk management plan.

https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-space/management/rabbit-mountain-elk-management-plan/#meeting

15-Jun-17
Hope it makes it

21-Jun-17

21-Jun-17
The Elk Management Plan for Rabbit Mtn. did pass, and the structure will be a 3 year format, some detail still to be built into the plan, hunting 3 days a week (right now the structure is Mon-Tues-Wed), beginning Sept. 1. Testifying in recent meetings have included Steve Hilde, myself for CWF, and representatives of BHA, RMEF, and BGF. Hunting would be on Rabbit Mtn for cow elk only and they also intend to also allow hunting on Indian Mtn. to the NW West since the elk commonly travel there. Private property hunting around the Rabbit Mtn. Open Space to the East and NE would have no interruptions, yet the access for hunters there would have to be separately granted by those respective landowners. The intent is to change the elk herd's behavior so they migrate back N and W.

21-Jun-17
Is this an OTC unit?

21-Jun-17
No. The area is within GMU 20, yet there is a separate GMU 20 season for a small area of the unit which is within and around area Rabbit Mtn. The hunt code in this small zone is E-F-020-L3-R, a class C license, season now being amended to start Sept. 1- Jan 31. Up until now the hunting was essentially limited to private ranch and residential properties surrounding Rabbit Mtn Open Space, on the Southern and Easterly sides of this Boulder OS. A year ago they issued 100 tags for this hunt code and 70 hunters actually hunted. Access was a challenge, and the elk have evolved in herd dynamics to largely move nocturnally so hunting the elk presented challenges. Don't hold me exactly to this but I recall they harvested 25 elk or so that year. The herd count here prior to calving season was noted to be 350, which now means the herd with calves on the ground is likely larger now. Bulls mostly come into the herd during the fall rut, then leave, yet there are some lingering bulls around according to OS pictures. The hunt in the Class C tags is for cow elk.

22-Jun-17
Can archery hunter hunt? Or is this a game management (rifle only )

23-Jun-17
I think it got approved. Go CBA and see.

23-Jun-17
It is legal to archery hunt with a rifle license, it is cow only currently. I don't recall any specific testimony to prohibit any method of take. The current goal is to reduce the herd, and move elk - not provide recreational hunts.

23-Jun-17
Rabbit Mountain area will be limited to rifle only (page 16 of the draft plan - https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/draft-rabbit-mountain-elk-management-plan-2017.pdf)). This is something that came up in the comments and discussion if I remember correctly. Not sure if there was any traction to change it.

25-Jun-17
When would this take effect...2017 season or 2018?

26-Jun-17
The Rabbit Mtn. Elk Management Plan starts this 2017 year. During Boulder County Commissioner testimony their structure approved was the hunt starting Sept. 1, 2017. Rabbit Mtn. Open Space would then be closed to the at-large recreating public three days, Mon-Wed. thru January 2018. Discussed was the hunt having active communication from CP&W back to Boulder Commissioners as to how the hunt is evolving, an annual review, and a 3 year end term.

26-Jun-17
The Rabbit Mtn. Elk Management Plan starts this 2017 year. During Boulder County Commissioner testimony their structure approved was the hunt starting Sept. 1, 2017. Rabbit Mtn. Open Space would then be closed to the at-large recreating public three days, Mon-Wed. thru January 2018. Discussed was the hunt having active communication from CP&W back to Boulder Commissioners as to how the hunt is evolving, an annual review, and a 3 year end term.

• Sitka Gear