Jimbo 22-Jun-17
alex1 22-Jun-17
Jebediah 22-Jun-17
huntskifishcook 22-Jun-17
spike78 23-Jun-17
spike78 23-Jun-17
PedalPaddleHunt 26-Jun-17
19-Jun-17
Hello everyone! I am just getting into bow hunting and would appreciate some advice. Yesterday I purchased a recurve and 5 arrows. I am happy about the purchase - it was a used but well kept 50# bear kodiak at an archery store. I mainly want to hunt small game and maybe turkey. Thinking that there are still some months until the season starts, I just want to hit the range and practice till then so that I can shoot at least somewhat consistently. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to prep for the season and if you know a good range for practice in the boston/newton area? thank you.

19-Jun-17
Hi Alex1. Welcome to the world of archery and bowhunting. Traditional gear like that is impressive stuff, hopefully Hickstick or Tajue hop on and see your post, both are very skilled in the area of trad gear.

Regrettably, I live out in central MA, I dont know anything in the Boston area... Though a bunch of the guys here should be able to offer ideas.

Enjoy getting into it, and welcome to the board. This is a cool site, even when we disagree we all keep it productive. It's a really good bunch of folks that frequent here!

19-Jun-17
Just getting into bow hunting with a 50# recurve may be tough. Not sure of your strength but I've been shooting since I was 12 and I can pull an 80# compound but a 50# recurve takes a lot of getting used to. I have a 45# recurve and it's about all I can handle. If you find it too much for you drop down to 45 or start with a compound and go from there. The reason I say this is hunting season is not too far off and you want to be accurate by then.

19-Jun-17
If you're new to hunting altogether, make sure you have the hunter safety course, need it to get a license. Good luck and have fun!

21-Jun-17
thank you all! I hit the range for the first time today and the 50# bow kicked my butt. I got some okay groups every now and then but I got tired after just an hour. In retrospect I should have gotten a lighter bow but that was the only bow that was in my price range at the shop. I'll try for a month or two and I'll see if I can get used to it but if I can't, i'll drop down to 40 or 35 pounds.

I have been fishing for a number of years, but, yes, I am new to hunting as well. I'll get my hunter safety course soon. Another question I have is this: if I want to hunt rabbits or turkeys or whatever, how do I find the animal? Do I just go to a random WMA and walk around? Or are there known spots for particular animals? Is there a method to scouting for particular animals?

22-Jun-17
Alex, Take hunter safety, and then, take a bowhunter safety course. The general one is required in MA, the other in many other states if you hope to archery hunt, say in CT, RI, NH down the road etc. The bigger reason though is that you will learn some of the fundamentals of hunting in each course, they are worth your time.

Join a local sportsman club to shoot. You will meet other's excited in archery hunting and you can gain knowledge and potentially, meet someone who could be a mentor that lives local to you. Especially someone else skilled in hunting / shooting Trad gear.

In terms of the animals - I think a good start would be to log in to the Mass Wildlife web site and poke around. You will see info on rules and regs which are important to learn... but you will also find, if you poke around a little, areas of the site with articles or downloadable papers on things like Wild Turkey, rabbits, deer etc. This is info about the history of those animals in New England, and MA specifically. It will get into the biology, habitat, life cycle etc. That foundational info is what you need to be able to better understand "where" to find the animals you hope to hunt.

In terms of locations, wildlife management areas are a good start, as are state forests. Many, if not all state forests (but not all state parks - there are some different regs there so check into it before considering hunting in a state park) in MA are open to hunting. Those options give you a huge land mass to explore and start looking for hunting ground.

The most important skill there, is getting out, and walking the land. If you dont have map and compass skills - read about that and learn to use them at least roughly... DO NOT rely on gps - batteries can die. Learn map and compass first. Now, walk the ground and seek out the habitat the animals you seek enjoy (again, read on the biology of those animals, and with that knowledge you can start to reverse engineer where they may live).

Hopefully this helps some. Point blank, you are at the start of a never ending journey of growth. You will never "know" everything or even "most" of what there is to know about hunting... but you will learn more and more and ultimately feel more proficient and potentially even manage to kill your intended prey and go to the next step of enjoying the great table fare and healthy eating they provide.

One last thing, spray down your hunting clothes with a permithrin (Sawyers is a brand you will see a lot of "us" use) which is a very effective tick repellent.

22-Jun-17
Hey there, Alex. Welcome to our great sport. As others have said, there is much to learn... and you'll have a great time doing it. Safety first... and that includes tick repellent.

You've chosen one of the most challenging ways to hunt game - a recurve bow. Practice, practice, practice... then practice some more. You owe it to the game you're hunting to be competent with your bow (accurate) and to know your effective range.

I love bowhunting. Our state offers plenty of places where we can pursue the game of our choice. For me, it's deer and turkeys. You can go on the MassWildlife website and get a ton of information about hunting, including public land where you can hunt. As for where you find game... that's the tricky part. They're out there. But, they can see, hear and smell a lot better than you can. Sneaking up on them is very difficult. It's called "stalking" and it's not easy to sneak yourself into recurve bow range of a deer or turkey without them knowing you're there. And, then you have to be able to draw undetected. Most of us here "stand" hunt, which basically means set ourselves up in a spot where we think we can ambush our prey within our effective range. You can stand hunt on the ground. But, it's proven to be far more effective to be in a treestand.

I've been hunting a long time (I'm old). It took me five years of bowhunting before I got my first deer. Then, just a week later, I got my second one with my bow. I was so bad in those early years, my kids said I didn't go hunting... I just walked around the woods with a weapon in my hands. LOL I made just about every mistake possible. Thankfully, I'm a pretty good experiential learner.

Straight arrows to you, Alex. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of our sport as I do.

22-Jun-17
Thank you for all this useful information. I ended up trading my bow for a 35# recurve and, yes, much better groups, easier to shoot and I had more fun at the range.

And thank you all for the encouragement. It looks like I need to do a lot more reading and walking around. Definitely need to learn map & compass and stalking basics. Thank you, this is all very useful. Hopefully I'll be able to learn most of this before the season starts!

22-Jun-17
I have only been hunting in MA for a few years, so I don't know from personal experience, but I was told that wardens in MA aren't inclined to give you a break. So the thing to take from that is to be thoroughly familiar with laws to avoid a run-in with the sheriff. These MA laws are pretty complicated, in my opinion, but they're learnable.

22-Jun-17
Welcome aboard Alex! It seems like the guys have covered the most important point for you already. I will add to do your best not to let frustration overtake you. As Will stated it's a life long learning experience. I'm coming into my fourth year of hunting and my first year in particular, I was an absolute mess, but I learned a ton!

23-Jun-17
Alex, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 35 pounds is not legal for deer must be 40 minimum. With that being said I recommend getting a used compound until you build up your poundage on the recurve.

23-Jun-17
Although 35 pounds is at a 28" draw length so if you are 30" you may be ok.

26-Jun-17
Alex, I grew up shooting recurve bows. Started off in the early 80s with 15# kids bow, then a 35# and got a used 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter at around 13-14 years old. Shot that bow for about 15 years and still have it. Bought a 56# recurve 6-8 years ago. It was too much. Sold it. By all means pursue your learning and development with your recurve. But a used compound is a smart investment for a new archer. For a couple hundred dollars you can get a bow that is much easier to shoot. I have an old Ultra Max set at 56#s. Not the coolest or best bow, but the deer don't seem to know... Picked it up three years ago. Killed three deer with it so far. You don't have to buy the $1000 bow. What you have to do is shoot, and a compound may allow for a faster learning curve if taking game is your goal. Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the sport. Get some training and shoot as much as you can.

• Sitka Gear