RC 01-Sep-17
Stekewood 02-Sep-17
BOWJO 04-Sep-17
Teeton 04-Sep-17
Rut Nut 16-Sep-17
Rut Nut 16-Apr-18
19-Jun-17

Rut Nut's Link
Dates for this year are Sept. 21-23 (See link for details)

*Please note: There will be NO mandatory donation of deer to HSH this year. We are going back to a VOLUNTARY donation of deer to HSH. As always, we encourage everyone who is successful to donate to this worthy cause. (but it will NOT be mandatory)

19-Jun-17
Looking forward to this year's hunt. Got my Senior Lifetime Combo license today. Woo Hoo!

19-Jun-17
Ya old fart.

19-Jun-17
RC beat me to it.

Phil, you must stay for dinner at least 1 night. I'll bring one of my homemade Chianti's & some italian cheeses & maybe some bracioles...and we can talk.

20-Jun-17
Been looking forward to doe camp since the day 2016s doe camp ended

20-Jun-17
Hoping to make it this year. Kinda really looking forward to it. Ed

20-Jun-17
Bob, looking forward to it.

Thanks.

21-Jun-17
Hope to see Ed and Phil in camp this year! (in addition to all the "regulars"! ;-)

Bob, you doing the dutch oven lasagna again?

21-Jun-17
No, it doesn't fit in with my diet and exercise program I started the day after last year's 5C hunt. I will have something Italian, that's for sure. As of this morning, I've lost 49 pounds. I'm now at 201 lbs., my weight the day I got married...30 years ago. I've got 6 lbs more to go to hot my goal. You may not recognize me. ??

21-Jun-17
WOW! That's great Bob! I wish I could say the same...................................... ;-)

21-Jun-17
It was Saturday morning of last year's 5C hunt. I was sitting on the edge of my cot tying my boots, and said to myself, "I'm a fat f@#*." I also said to myself , "Thats it, no more, I'm making changes starting now." And here I am, 6 lbs away from my weight goal of 195, and planning my maintenance strategies.

21-Jun-17
Congratulations Bob!

21-Jun-17
Congrats Bob that's awesome

21-Jun-17
Good job, McQuacker...

22-Jun-17
Nice work Bob! Congrats.

29-Jun-17
Mike,

It is a long way to go for a one-day hunt but you can get there in time for Friday evening's hunt and you could spend Saturday night and Sunday socializing. That alone could be worth the trip.

30-Jun-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Mike- one of the "regulars" is a teacher, so he can only get there fri nite to hunt Saturday. He comes down every year from Lycoming Co.

Best part of the event is Fri eve and Sat- Pizza on Fri and Pig Roast on Sat! :)

02-Jul-17
This may be the first year since it's inception that I may not make the hunt. I will be leaving for Western Wyoming on about the tenth of Sept. and it's open ended, as I plan to stay as long as it takes. God willing, I would love to make the Saturday nights festivities.

Hey Mike, if I can drive 2100 miles just to make the pig roast, I think it's worth the trip from Western Pa. Believe me, it's that good! And bring Ben Farmer with ya :)

03-Jul-17
Hey, maybe we will have an ELK Roast this year! :)

04-Jul-17
I have a question on the UBP 5C bowhunt weekend. I have been invited to hunt a property in 5C this year, I have been told this is a doe only hunt,this property is known for very large buck that are seen frequently. Would I be allowed to take a buck and still be a part of this fine event or make arrangements myself ?...I believe this event is in the Kutztown area. Thank you

04-Jul-17
Swiggy, a good question, and one we address every year. If you register with us and hunt your own property, you are free to kill any legal deer you wish, but only your does will be brought in and weighed. The properties that we, the committee have secured for this hunt are doe only, as we seek to help landowners control deer numbers . This has been our way of gaining permission on many of these traditionally closed properties.

04-Jul-17
Joe, Best of luck out west. Looking forward to some photos and the story.

05-Jul-17
Swiggy- if you PM me your e-mail address I will put you on the official UBP 5C mailgroup and you will receive all pertinent info and reminders via e-mail.

Actually, anybody that is not already on the list and would like to receive the info/updates, you can PM me your e-mail address.

We will be sending out the next update soon.

05-Jul-17
Swiggy, you would also be more than welcome to bring your buck back to camp and utilize the cooler, and we can surely pull him up on the scale. If you harvest a doe on your property, she would be eligible for the big momma award.

Same rule also applies for anyone who wishes to hunt the neighboring gamelands as well. As Bowjo stated, only the properties we assign you are off limits to harvesting buck.

Hope to see you in camp!!!

06-Jul-17
Rut Nut ...PM sent

07-Jul-17
Got it Ken! I put you on the list and sent out the info via e-mail. Hope to see you in camp this year. If you need anything else, feel free to pm or e-mail me!

22-Jul-17
Andy and I logged 170 miles in 9 hours today, visiting all of our 5C landowners in Lehigh and Berks counties. The common feedback from everyone - they are seeing more deer this year than ever before (I'm sure that 2 back to back mild winters have had something to do with that).

Crop damage was evident from the road in some instances. We need to put a hurtin' on the slick heads this year gang!!!

And along the way, we somehow picked up 2 additional parcels to hunt.

22-Jul-17
Plenty of deer to be shot, the trails and crop damage prove that, now we just need the numbers to show up at the hunt this year so we can put people on every farm. Invite your friends that never came. Let's get lots of new faces this year

22-Jul-17
Is it here yet????????

24-Jul-17

Namvet68's embedded Photo
August 8, 2003

24-Jul-17

Brock, Mike F. Steve Senn
Brock, Mike F. Steve Senn
More pics from the 2003 campout

24-Jul-17
Sorry, These should have went on the 2017 Campout thread.

24-Jul-17
No problem Buck- we have lots of UBP events now............................sometimes hard to keep them straight! ;-)

24-Jul-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Dan and Andy- thanks for your "boots on the ground" work! That's why we have so many properties to hunt every year!

So come on folks........................................bring a friend(or 2) this year so we can really help some of these farms out (and also HSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

24-Jul-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
And remember our motto!

26-Jul-17
I spoke with Ed Wentzler last night, he's planning on rolling in sometime on Wednesday evening. I'm bringing osage & hickory staves, & Ed is going to teach me how to whittle them into bows.

My Buddy Steve (MaineGuide on bowsite) is coming back this year as well. Friggin' guy killed six P & Y bucks the last two years...none being under 163", one in the 190's, & two being over 200".

Kinda hoping RC will let Chris come out with the dog while he stays home...I love Chris & the dog, Roy not so much. :)

Hope Hajas comes out as well.

26-Jul-17
It'll be good to see Ed again. Chris and the dog too.

26-Jul-17
Shoot three fingers under ya last two clowns:)

26-Jul-17
I can get my hands on Osage, id love to get a long bow made

26-Jul-17
You need to take a trip to Roy's. Invite Jeff Durnell to meet you there and you'll come away with a fine shooting bow. It'll cost you a couple cases of beer.

27-Jul-17
Bob- That's great! I was hoping Ed would put on some kind of demonstration in the afternoons this year. And glad to hear Big Steve will be joining us this year. Been awhile! ;-)

25-Aug-17
Ttt. Well with the 5C less than a month away. It time for roll call.

Well I hope to get there Wednesday night. Hopefully my buddy Clint will be able to make it.

So who else is a coming?

Ed

25-Aug-17
be there Wednesday.

25-Aug-17
I'll be there for a couple of days. Not staying overnight.

25-Aug-17
Will be there Wed. morning for set-up.

25-Aug-17
I hope all of you who needed 5C tags for this hunt are not waiting to get them over the counter... The count for 5C as of this morning was under 3400 left and they are ticking off at least a few thousand a day... Good Luck!

27-Aug-17
Good luck to all who make it out. Smoke and I were out last weekend visiting with farmers in Berks and Lehigh County. These guys Really need some help with deer damage, and are looking to the UBP to kill more than a few does.

Me, I'll be on a slope in Western Wyoming chasing elk.... dreaming of a campground in the Kutztown area of Berks County :)

28-Aug-17
I hope if anyone is still in need of a tag they are in line as I type this! Just checked and there were only 1599 as of a few minutes ago(8:30)

28-Aug-17
Under 900 At 8:51.

28-Aug-17
SOLD OUT before 9:30

28-Aug-17
Yup.. How about that? I know there were guys lined up in Norristown!

28-Aug-17
I thought they might actually sell out this year before going over the counter. Came close this year. I'm betting next year they are sold out in the 2 nd round of Unsold.

28-Aug-17
Guys will be steamed standing in line or going today on their lunch breaks and there are none left.. 70,000 tags is a lot to be sold! Wonder where they are going?

28-Aug-17

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
Did another round of farms visits on Saturday. Saw quite a few deer out and about between noon and 3 pm. And saw many lantern flies, as evidenced on my windshield.

28-Aug-17
Guess we have to rename it the UBP 5C Doe/Bear/Lanternfly Hunt! ;-)

John- Yeah, I wonder how many guys got turned away this morning after they sold out?

28-Aug-17
I wonder how many of those 5C actually get used in 5C? ???? 2F,2G,2H sold out awfully quick... Hmmmmmmmmmmm..

28-Aug-17
Last year, 2016/2017, there were only 15,600 antlerless deer harvested in 5C. Thus proving my point that there are a ton of tag hogs out there that don't give a crap about other hunters having an opportunity.

28-Aug-17
Unsold licenses in 2B, 5C and 5D:

Applications for an UNLIMITED number of licenses in these WMUs can be made by mail only beginning Monday, August 7, 2017.

Bob- nobody has an excuse for not getting at least a couple 5C tags! (See above ;-)

28-Aug-17
If that were the case, the allotment would go up. And as one of those "hogs" you speak of, my track record speaks for it's self... Double digit doe kills are not out of the question. Sorry Bob, we all do not fit in that mold.

28-Aug-17
If you can apply for an unlimited number of 5C tags on Aug. 7, why do so many people wait for them to go OVER THE COUNTER???!!! This puzzles me every year!

28-Aug-17
One of my co workers has a relative that works at Chester County courthouse, they were sold out by 9:30 and they turned a lot of people away today. Why wait? 5D is also done, they sold 4500 over the counter today.. Makes you wonder why people wait. But Bob has all the answers about that.

28-Aug-17
78% of the tags sold, go unfilled. There are lots of pigs & hogs out there.

28-Aug-17
And they wonder why there are so many deer in 5C???!!! ;-)

Maybe they need to go to an EARN A BUCK program in 5C like they do in Jersey. Make everybody shoot a doe BEFORE they can shoot a buck! Wonder how many doe would be shot then???!!! ;-)

28-Aug-17
Rut, there is a ton of private land in 5C. I've hunted the public land and can tell you I haven't seen signs of overpopulation.

I would have no problem with earn a buck in some WMUs.

28-Aug-17
Rut, I asked Alexa if you could shoot and she just laughed:)

29-Aug-17
Bob- what is the cutoff exactly to be considered a "Hog"- 20?

Phil- I don't think there is much public ground in 5C compared to private. And from what we are hearing and seeing on our 5C properties, deer numbers and damage is higher than it's ever been.

Roy- I don't know any Alexa, so she must be referring to someone else! ;-)

29-Aug-17
I gotta tell you Roy that Rut was shooting pretty good after I gave him his last lesson. This might be the year.

29-Aug-17
I know he can hit a water melon:)

29-Aug-17
For those that have missed out on the trolling over the past few years and are trying to beat the dead horse, let's recap with the facts.

a. Everyone who wants to get a 5C tag has more than enough time to do so. The only ones who don't get them are those who really don't care and likely wouldn't fill it anyway. There are no missed opportunities.

b. 5C isn't some anomaly, it's the same as the rest of the state. 3 out of 4 doe tags don't get filled statewide.

c. The so called pigs fill a far greater percentage of their tags than the average nimrod.

d. Those who cry the loudest are complete hypocrites who pass up easy shots at does AND end up with unfilled tags every year. That's the real example of a missed opportunity. :-)

29-Aug-17
I stand by my statement that there are a ton of tag hogs & pigs buying up tags in the SRA's, knowing full-well they ain't ever going to fill even half of them. Of course there's a few killers out there, Like Bill "Homicide" Vol, but, IMO there's relatively few people killing 15+ doe in a season. I'd bet anyone, that if 5C went back to unlimited tags, they wouldn't sell 70,000. Then the average hog & pig would only buy about 3 or 4 tags, tops, because they would know they could always go to the County Seat & get a tag. Same thing for 5D.

29-Aug-17
LOL, the doe tag soap opera continues:) Kill em in your back yard, Bobby. Under those chestnut trees. Can't be all that far of a walk to your tree stand, what about 50 yards?:) LOL Deer Slayer

29-Aug-17
more like 25 yards

29-Aug-17
And yet you still don't fill all your tags......... :-) If you get a crossbow you can shoot them out of the window.

29-Aug-17
He can't hit them...

29-Aug-17
Bill V,,, u going to the 5c hunt?

30-Aug-17
Stekewood said "If you get a crossbow you can shoot them out of the window."

Or I could do what a neighbor (45 year old pharmacist) of mine did the first year he started hunting, shoot them from the 2nd floor bathroom window with a shotgun. LOL!!! He said all his neighbors were at work & nobody was in their houses. I had to explain what an occupied building was to him. Pretty funny.

01-Sep-17
Hopefully at this time in 3 weeks we have several slickies in the cooler

01-Sep-17
Hopefully at this time in 3 weeks we have several slickies in the cooler

01-Sep-17
Hopefully we have MANY in the cooler by this time on the 22nd Andy! : )

01-Sep-17
Ok I have a friend that whats to come to the hunt. Last year he got hurt, shoulder... Still can't pull his bow back. He called last night and ask how you guys would feel if he buys a xbow and comes to the hunt. He is a 20 or 25 year life ubp'er. Ed

01-Sep-17
Ed- the X-bow policy for the 5C hunt is it is OK for anyone with a physical disability or injury that would not allow them to hunt with a compound or stickbow.

01-Sep-17
The xbow war has been settled...any type of bow should be allowed.

01-Sep-17
No Bob...The battle was fought and the bowhunters lost. The PGC wanted a cash infusion and it's inclusion. We lost, I am over it. However The UBP can still dictate at our collectively run functions to allow it or not. And that is their right as a membership driven entity. And our membership and board of directors voted on and decided the rules pertaining to it's use for events like this and also sponsored shoots. Hey man, go buy one, knock your self out... It is the right decision on the UBP part.

01-Sep-17
I am anti crossbows. EXCEPT for the handicap folks and young kids, and those sissy pants SE hunters.

02-Sep-17
And they allow you to skip the 25 yard walk from your back door to your stand. :-)

04-Sep-17
Thanks JD, I couldn't have said it better myself.

04-Sep-17
Bowjo, you out west? If so how's it going?

As for my friend on 5c hunt and xbow I let him know he can still come and use an xbow. He normally uses a long bow. I think that far less long bow guys have switched to xbow than compound guys. Trust me he doesn't what to have to use an xbow. So it's xbow or quit bow hunting. I have not even thought of using a xbow myself. But if it was quit or xbow. I'm pretty sure I would pick xbow.

Thanks guys. I'm counting the (16) days to 5c.

Ed

16-Sep-17
Try for Josh ;-)

16-Apr-18
TTT for Joe!

• Sitka Gear