MikeC 23-Jun-17
Little Bear 23-Jun-17
WVBOWHUNTER 26-Jun-17
Babysaph 26-Jun-17
WVBOWHUNTER 27-Jun-17
Babysaph 27-Jun-17
WVBOWHUNTER 28-Jun-17
21-Jun-17
I'm interested in going elk hunting next year and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on where to go and just really how to get started on this journey.

22-Jun-17
Guided or unguided?

22-Jun-17
Some places require preference points; others you can buy over the counter. I guess since you're planning to go next year, Colorado may be the state you want to check out. They have many OTC tags for elk.

You may want to check with Montana too. You have to apply, but some areas have high percentage draws for non-residents.

22-Jun-17
I'd rather do unguided just because of the cost but I'm not counting out going with a guide either. Yea I have pretty much figured Colorado will be the state I go to just which part is going to be the hardest decision.

22-Jun-17
Check out Red Feather Lakes area in the Roosevelt National Forest to see if it's still OTC. I can put you in some decent places if it's still OTC.

22-Jun-17
I'm not really finding much on the otc tag there but from what I'm finding it sounds like it is.

23-Jun-17
Go with a drop camp. 1/2 the price of guided and gets you away from crowds and into elk.

23-Jun-17
I would go on a guided hunt. I have found that for your first hunt you will spend less on a DIY but you don't really know much about where to find elk. It may be a lil cheaper but I think you are ahead of the game going guided in the long run Saxton is right. A drop camp is a good idea. You can have someone drop you in to where there are elk. DIY hunts can be ok but they sometimes need to be longer hunts and if you are still working taking 2-4 weeks from work can cost you work money so it a wash. It it hard to get off the beaten path on your own far enough to get away from the crowds. Also you have to get your elk out and that can be tough in warm weather. Most of the hunt is usually just trying to find elk on a DIY hunt. One good thing about guided hunts is the guide usually knows where the elk are because they watch them all summer. You can't do that on a DIY hunt. JMO

23-Jun-17
Do you have a drop camp you'd recommend?

23-Jun-17

Little Bear's Link
Winter Hawk provided some drop camp hunts to the WV Bowhunter auction years ago. Larry Amos is the owner. Good people. You might want to check them out.

26-Jun-17
I will be going to Colorado this year for a OTC DIY Elk hunt.

26-Jun-17
What unit WVBowhunter?

27-Jun-17
Unit 53 Gunnison National Forest.

27-Jun-17
Good luck buddy.

28-Jun-17
Thanks JR

• Sitka Gear