steve 28-Jun-17
bigbuckbob 28-Jun-17
yukon roz 28-Jun-17
grizzlyadam 28-Jun-17
nehunter 28-Jun-17
tompolaris 28-Jun-17
Gene 28-Jun-17
27-Jun-17
When can you justify shooting a dangerous animal beyond a perceived threat to a human's life ?Threat to property ? livestock ? pets ? anybody know ?

27-Jun-17
Great question Rich I look forward to hearing the answers

27-Jun-17
Is anyone else around :)

I guess for me, if any wild animal is going after me or a loved one the rule of thumb is to protect people first, and animals second. I believe the law says that if you have a problem animal like a bear eating your donkeys, you're allowed to protect your property (donkey). I don't t think the guy who shot the bear will be ticketed.

27-Jun-17
Not so sure about that bob..there was an old timer in litchfield ,i believe, that shot a bear on his property he said was going after his dog..hit him with inlawful discharge,bear hunting,no hunting licence,reckless endangerment,..it took a year but i think it was thrown out after he proved the bear was after his dog..

27-Jun-17
That's just stupid. Makes you want to not report it or work with the system when they do things like that

28-Jun-17
shoot don't tell .end of story

28-Jun-17
shoot don't tell .end of story

28-Jun-17
steve - I would agree that's what the law would lead you to do. I just have a real problem with it. I would definitely shoot if the life of a person was at risk and then deal with the fall out after.

I shot a hen turkey when I was a green hunter years ago and brought it to the check station in People's Forest (old salmon hatchery) to report my error. The person there pointed out that the bird had a tiny beard (I didn't even notice it, and if I did I would still think what I did was illegal back then) so he said no law was broken and thanked me for reporting myself. If we don't argue the point that a law is wrong it will never get changed.

28-Jun-17
I like my dog more than most people. If she was in a fight she couldn't win I would do what has to be done

28-Jun-17
If you shoot it without the threat to human life, you're likely on the wrong side of the law here in CT. It can however be easily overlooked if your donkey made the news.

28-Jun-17
Remember .. no side arms while bowhunting!

28-Jun-17
Time for side arms while hunting. Vermont did to align it with hikers.

28-Jun-17
I have said this before, bear goes after my dogs, that will be a dead bear! After having 2 go thru my yard in the last week, I am prepared to protect my pups. The 835 Mossberg is right by with 3 - 00buck loads sitting next to it waiting to be loaded!

• Sitka Gear