mkk50 29-Jun-17
Stringflipper 29-Jun-17
Dollar 29-Jun-17
Treeline 29-Jun-17
Dinkshooter@work 30-Jun-17
Jaquomo 30-Jun-17
PECO 04-Jul-17
28-Jun-17
well i got my otc archery tag and 16 points after draw, feeling same o same o, however my son pulled a gmu 2 archery tag, feeling super excited and pissed at the same time what the hell am i going to do with my tag now that i have to mentor him cause he's only 17, we get to chase the big ones come fall which is awesome but the only thing i get to shoot is pictures

28-Jun-17
I have killed about 130 deer, elk, moose, and antelope combined. I don't get near the joy as I do when I take someone else out and they kill something verses me killing something. I don't know why you are whining. Get a gun tag.

28-Jun-17
Wow!

Congratulations to him for getting that tag as a youth. Hard to believe he pulled it at 5 PP's... Weird system for sure.

I drew with 22. Pretty sure I would drop my Unit 2 elk tag to take my son and not bat an eye. I would be 1,000 times more excited if he had a tag rather than me. Really wish Colorado would allow me to gift it to my son like Arizona does.

Actually not very excited about this tag. Seems kind of like a crappy tag versus hunting top units in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming in the same time frame it took me to draw this tag (multiples in a few of those states), in an area that does not have many elk, has minimal scenery, is really tough hunting, mostly sitting over water hole hunting, and the top end is much lower than any of those other hunts.

Maybe I will be able to get a little more enthusiastic about it when it gets closer.

Actually really depressed that this is supposed to be the best that Colorado has to offer and it is a once in a lifetime tag.

Turn your tag in. You can get a full refund and keep your points. Either that or just keep it and figure you can hunt both your tag and your son's if you have the time.

29-Jun-17
PS - Give it your all for your son. Win, Lose, or Draw. You will not regret it.

29-Jun-17
I would trade the rest of my tags forever for one more hunt with my Dad. Cherish the time and opportunity to share a hunt with your son. No idea what he's after but at 17 I wouldn't have been very picky even with a great tag (I'm still not picky). There's a decent chance he could tag a nice bull right away and then you guys could work on your tag.

No reason to buy the OTC tag during the draw anytime there's a chance of a hunt conflicting with it. Too easy to buy the day before season.

Good luck on your hunts, I bet you guys are in for a really fun experience.

29-Jun-17
"but the only thing i get to shoot is pictures"

Yeah, pictures of YOUR KID hunting and hopefully killing an elk, I hope you get more excited than this about the other stuff he does...

29-Jun-17
Treeline, you can spot-stalk in the mornings and sit water in the afternoon if you want, or spot-stalk both. Call me after you get the Canyon of the Lodore map. When we hunted it was frickin' 90 degrees and the bulls were quiet in daylight so water was a good afternoon option before the rut kicked in. But we spot-stalked every morning.

Stringflipper, go for it with your son. You'll have a hell of a time and if he can shoot and isn't super-picky he might tag out right away. You'll get some photos and videos of him hunting great bulls that you'll both cherish the rest of your lives. Then you can hunt OTC together. My hunting partner and I both killed 350+ bulls with recurves in the first five days of the season in unit 2.

29-Jun-17
If it were me I'd be MORE excited to help my son on a once in a lifetime hunt, and not so much about me and my opportunities, enjoy every moment you can with your kids because you can NEVER re-due certain things with them, you only live once!

29-Jun-17
Two of my favorite hunts were being with my father. Age 16 we drew Unit S12 Ram tags with no Points, and hunted 30 days! And then pay-back, I scouted and was able to help dad, he arrowed a 350 Bull in unit 2 as well. Probably my all time favorite hunting memory was last year sitting in a blind with my 15 year old daughter as she arrowed a muley buck at 7 yards. I don't know that I get as much of a rush when I shoot something myself as I do being there for someone else.

29-Jun-17
Jealous much? Eat your tag, take your son hunting, and enjoy the time. He will appreciate it. If he doesn't, you shouldn't have put him in for the draw. If you don't know the unit it will better prepare you should you draw the same hunt in the future.

29-Jun-17
thanks for sharing fellas i know it sounds like i'm jealous but i would have liked for him to already have sealed the deal on an elk with his bow before getting a tag like that and i will always take the back seat and put my kids up front, i will probably have to help him catch up his school work after the season

29-Jun-17
Enjoy and don't let school interfere with his education.Miracle I made it all the way thru college.Spent more time in the woods and on water than in class. Don't let these times pass. Good Luck

29-Jun-17
Push him to talk to his teachers and get as much of his school work done ahead of time as possible. Might be surprised how well the teachers will work with him.

I guided hunts through college and worked out my time out with my professors. They laughed about it a bit, but worked with me. Actually made more guiding than I did in my first job out of college...

30-Jun-17
Turn your tag in, I know everyone here will gasp in horror but then you can hunt rifle elk. GASP!

A unit 2 archery hunt for a 17 year old will likely change his outlook on hunting forever, he will be so hooked he will never give it up.

30-Jun-17
Either that or he will be so spoiled that no other elk hunting experience will ever measure up. Seeing 15-20 bulls a day will do that.

04-Jul-17
My best hunt ever was mentoring my nephew shoot his first whitetail, it was a doe. I would be stoked to help someone hunt unit 2. I would be happy to just go up and check the unit out and be camp wench. Listen man, stop feeling sorry for yourself, help your kid, and you will have the best season ever!

• Sitka Gear