Orion 16-Aug-17
8pointer 16-Aug-17
KHunter 22-Aug-17
publichunter1 22-Aug-17
Glunt@work 22-Aug-17
Nesser 22-Aug-17
Jaquomo 23-Aug-17
29-Jun-17
When will the Leftover list become available? Seems like it was the first week of July last year??

30-Jun-17
Same question as I drew no tags this year. This will be the first season in probably 30-40 years when I will not archery hunt.

30-Jun-17
July 17th per the CDPW website.

30-Jun-17
Thanks, I looked there but didn't find it.

Tramper, plenty of OTC opportunities.

05-Jul-17
The deadline for applying off the leftover list was July 4th.

06-Jul-17
Tramper, you understand there are a ton of OTC units with good hunting, right?

06-Jul-17
huntingbob - That was the leftover draw, that list gets mailed to you if you chose that option during the draw. I believe the OP was talking about the leftover list which will be posted on the internet, after the leftover draw happens, and those licenses are available to everyone.

06-Jul-17
Wish it did not take so long to get the list out....just a little impatient.

07-Jul-17
Yep, know about the OTC tags, but none of those will work for me this year. Most of my September will be spent out of the country. Not a problem, though; I've hunted a few times in my life. Will help friends this year.

17-Jul-17
Has anyone heard any updates on when the list will come out?

17-Jul-17
Someone wrote on Facebook that it isn't coming out until the 29th. No idea how true that is. I know they haven't run the leftover draw yet because I put in for something on that and nothing has updated for me, obviously they need to do that first.

17-Jul-17
July 17th is the date results are posted from the leftover draw, not when the draw letter is released.

Since leftovers go for sale on Aug 1, I would suspect the letter will come out the week prior

18-Jul-17
Gotcha, that makes sense. I just saw this morning that the leftover draw has happened, my draw results page has been updated.

18-Jul-17
Saw that I was unsuccessful for a leftover deer tag. Bummer.

19-Jul-17
I spoke with CPW yesterday. The 26th is the day list will be posted!

19-Jul-17
Called CPW today, was told the 26th of this month.

20-Jul-17
friend work for CPW, told me the list will be posted the 25th of July

20-Jul-17
Seems later than other years. My plans are already too big. :-)

20-Jul-17
Does the leftover list include the turned in tags too?

20-Jul-17
I believe it will.

20-Jul-17
They finally posted it on the website. Will be posted the 26th

26-Jul-17
The list is up on the CPW website.

26-Jul-17
Some great tags on there. I'm surprised to see some 5+ point tags were refused by the next 5 people in line.

26-Jul-17
I could see some people turning down tags this close to the season starting. If you haven't scouted, kept up on winterkill news, etc. I would think twice about burning 10-20 years of points if I only had a month left to research my hunt, especially if I know I'll draw it next year.

26-Jul-17
Not that great I didn't see one 5+ elk tag on there

26-Jul-17
A couple I thought were 5+ were only 4 and I mistook the sheep tag as a ram. Sorta like bigfoot, if you want to see him bad enough, every late night sound in the woods or dark shadow starts to look like him :^)

There is a 5+ tag I have my eye on. Not elk.

27-Jul-17

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Are you guys saying that the turned back elk tags are posted on line somewhere?

All I found was this page and it says the list won't be posted until August 1.

27-Jul-17

Glunt@work's Link
The list is up, they don't go on sale until the 1st.

27-Jul-17
It says right on the site that there would be no preview list for the turn back tags.....

27-Jul-17
This first leftover list includes turned in tags. Sounds like after leftovers start selling, they aren't giving a specific day or time new turned in tags will be added and no preview like they had last year. Just says they will go on the list the week after processing randomly from 9:00 to 4:00.

27-Jul-17
LesWelch, I think that it means after the intial list is posted and and they go on sale Aug 1 any additional tags that are turned back will be added to the list randomly. I can assure you on this list there are tags that have been turned back in. The LO list is a ever changing list. You could literally see a tag pop up a week before the hunt started

27-Jul-17
Somebody is going to get the 15 point pronghorn tag I turned in, then be really surprised to find out there aren't any pronghorns after the winter kill. But I suppose somebody getting it as a 'leftover' could have a good time if they aren't trophy hunting and willing to shoot any little buck.

27-Jul-17
Lou, do they take points from the next on the list that has the option for the tag over 5 points? If not, they should! Would help the point creep...

27-Jul-17
It won't help with point creep because the guy who turned in gets his points back. So you are basically just trading one for one you are not eliminating people from the points pool

28-Jul-17
If you are called as next in line for a reissued tag, it does use your points if you accept the tag. If the tag makes it to the leftover list and its purchased there, it uses no points.

28-Jul-17
yes understood, but the guy who turned it in gets his points back so it is a wash. If 4 guys applied and the one who drew (leaving 3 in the pool) turns his in then the next guy takes it, there are still 3 left in the pool after his points are reinstated, yes he will be one behind because he won't gain a point, but it does nothing to alleviate point creep.

28-Jul-17
Yep - I was just clarifying for Treeline when points get used. The cure for point creep is more supply or less demand. Every way to accomplish either has a downside.

28-Jul-17
yep I hear ya. Also talked to CPW today cause the list doesn't seem right especially compared to last year which I screenshotted all the list last year. There seems to be a huge drop even in the 1-5 point elk tags and I can't believe the turn in rate fell that much in a year. She told me they all weren't on the list because they said they weren't going to "preview" them this year. She said they would be on the first or after to avoid the fiasco and complaints of last year. Not sure if she was bs'ing me to get me off the phone or not, so time will tell I guess.

31-Jul-17
Like a lot of people. The leftovers go on sale at the beginning part of my work day. I have to go to the 60th and broadway office to exchange my OTC tag, if I'm lucky enough to get the tag off the list I'm eyeing. Having never tried to buy a leftover tag before, my question is how crazy busy can this process be? My boss might let me sneak down there. But if it's a long wait to even see if I'm lucky. He probably won't. I'm sure it changes each year. But any input would help. Thanks

31-Jul-17
Like a lot of people. The leftovers go on sale at the beginning part of my work day. I have to go to the 60th and broadway office to exchange my OTC tag, if I'm lucky enough to get the tag off the list I'm eyeing. Having never tried to buy a leftover tag before, my question is how crazy busy can this process be? My boss might let me sneak down there. But if it's a long wait to even see if I'm lucky. He probably won't. I'm sure it changes each year. But any input would help. Thanks

31-Jul-17
I wouldn't waste your time. If you had the day off, that is one thing. But to waste your time trying for a sought after tag that everyone is trying to get is not productive.

31-Jul-17
Last year there were some amazing the on the list and many places had lines long before an employees showed up. This year there are some good tags but not as many premium ones so maybe not as busy. Either way, if you are after a desirable tag the handful on the list are gone quick. If you aren't getting processed in the first few minutes they will be gone. If you are after a tag that isn't as popular or there are 20-30 left, they could last a while or even be available all the way until season.

Call before going. I believe the Ft Collins office doing a wrist band lottery to get a spot in line. Guys who are after a popular tag and end up 25th in line know they can just skip it and go back to work.

31-Jul-17
I would not be surprised if some of the small business owners that sell tags mysteriously do not open until 10am tomorrow.

31-Jul-17
Thanks everyone. That's good info

31-Jul-17
You get 300+ machines hitting enter all about the same time, with each app there can be up to 4 hunt code choices. With only 1 or 2 tags in some of the better units, it's a crap shoot even if your 1st in line. Curious if the DOW offices were connected at a faster speed to the server than the vendors...my guess is yes, but I'm not a IT guy.

31-Jul-17
correction 700+ vendors

31-Jul-17
Why has the list not been updated in a week? you cant tell me there hasn't been tags turned in over that period

31-Jul-17
Random listing = "Insider trading"? I don't know but I hope not.

31-Jul-17
I am sitting in line. Have been since 3:45 this afternoon. Last year it worked and I got a tag.

This year fewer licenses and a lot less hype. Not sure if I will get a tag or not but I know that not being in line is not Going to Work.

As for the list not being updated. This is how it is supposed to work on paper. It has not changed because they set it and keep it.

01-Aug-17
Good luck to all the tag seekers! You deserve a good one, especially if you camp out.

01-Aug-17
good luck all

01-Aug-17
" I have to go to the 60th and broadway office to exchange my OTC tag," I am considering swapping my OTC tag for a limited archery tag. The website is vague on this (all I saw in Exchanges were the fees) - but the comment above suggests this needs to be done in person? Does it have to be @ a DOW office or can it be done over the phone or at a license agent?

01-Aug-17
Just got off the phone...license agent did not exactly convey confidence in the process. Upon entering the codes she would say 'invalid', which I took to mean sold out?

01-Aug-17
And....system is down.

01-Aug-17
A buddy went to a smaller DOW office and left about 9:30. They were still working with the first couple guys in line and they had a screen showing the updates as tags disappeared.

01-Aug-17
I was told I had to physically go to the office to hand over my license so they could keep it

01-Aug-17
I was told I had to physically go to the office to hand over my license so they could keep it

01-Aug-17
One of my employees got several archery deer tags (him and his kids) before the system crashed.

You know you can avoid all this by selecting the leftover draw option and have a crack a these tags before they are open for sale-

01-Aug-17
The leftover draw doesn't give you access to the great tags that were turned in recently.

01-Aug-17
So I was first in line at the local sporting good store. We sat down last night at 4:00 and slept in our chairs until this morning.

Last hit the send button and bam a lic.

This year hit button, System busy. We try again. For about 5 tries. Then get on and my deer tags are gone. So I had one back up.

Ended up with a unit 3 antelope tag. Which is great since it share a boundary with my WY archery deer tag.

Bummed I did not get my deer tag, there were only a few.

But really surprised grabbing an antelop tag for a better unit.

01-Aug-17
Hard to believe that Colorado continues to do this messy way of dealing with leftover tags. Pretty much ties up the majority of CPW for the day and is very frustrating.

The tags I was interested in were gone before I even had a chance. The allocations sure are screwy - lots of rifle buck tags left across the state and very few archery tags even up on this go.

The leftover draw list did not include a lot of tags that obviously got turned in after the draw. Did not get a deer tag on the leftover draw and then there were tags available for the OTC sales. Crappy, wasteful system.

01-Aug-17
I got in line at 630 am...walked away at 10:00 without making it to the coun.

01-Aug-17
Called all day nothing but a busy tone. I will admit I messed up (thought draw date was the 5th and not the fourth). This elk season was to be me and the new bride's honey moon. Well we will see what otc produces.

01-Aug-17
Got in on the phone at 9 am, pumped... might actually have a chance!!! Got all the info entered....error. Wait 5 minutes for supervisor pow wow. "System down sir..you need to call back in oh...a hour or so" No way I'll never get back thru, can I just wait on hold until it comes back up? "No I have to take other calls." I ask do you only sell CO tags and no other state? "yes CO only" Then why do you need to take other calls if the system is down, we can just wait. "No" Then take my number and call me back when it comes up? "No" Then take my info and enter it when it comes up. "No, you'll have to call back." Click!!!!! Busy all day long...

01-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
I redialed for 40 minutes or so along with refreshing the list. Never got through :^)

A tag I was looking at lasted quite a while but only because the system crashed. As soon as it was back on line it disappeared.

01-Aug-17
Ended up with a doe tag in unit I want to hunt. Excited to learn it for next year while maybe putting meat in the freezer this year!

01-Aug-17
I don't understand why the regular online system is a sensible broadband approach but the license agents have to use a dial up system.

02-Aug-17
Still no luck with the online. I wish everybody could go online and if you had points and choose to burn them that the computers could sort it all out.

02-Aug-17
The online is working just got an antelope tag. Yep they still use dial up which is crazy almost as crazy as the time and money they waste issuing and mailing refund checks instead of just crediting back cards

02-Aug-17
Colorado obviously has some work to do to improve every aspect of the draw process. From the issue of point creep getting out of control, to the fact that it takes 2 months to get results, to this left over/ re-issue process, to the tag allocation percentage to non-residents... It is apparent that the CPW is more concerned with generating revenue then managing wildlife and putting residents of Colorado first. I personally am very disappointed with how the CPW runs things.. I really wish they take some notes form Montana and Wyoming and adopt a better system..

03-Aug-17
CDOW's response to a email I sent......

First of I would like to say I apologize for any frustration you may have received on the leftover license day. CPW is currently trying to build a licensing system that will take us in to the future. While this does not solve the issues for all the customers like yourself, I assure you that we are doing our best to build a system that provides the best customer service to our sportsman/women. To explain the situation: at approximately 9:15 a.m. the system was brought down due multiple errors and sporadic sales, at 10:00 a.m. the system was brought back up and sales resumed and unfortunately for those that were on phone sales had to call back in to potentially get a license. With the complexity of our licenses, all phone agents need to be trained to sell our licenses unlike if you were purchasing a concert ticket. In the future we plan on providing on line sales to address volume but a reliable solution currently with our older system does not exist.

I know this does not solve your problem but I hope the explanation helps understand. Sincerely,

10-Aug-17
After watching the reissue process religiously over the last week I'm not for this new way. Not sure of the thinking but maybe they felt it took away from their staff because they had guys waiting in line to snag them right at 9 a.m.

10-Aug-17
Yeah it is ridiculous I work on a computer so I have been refreshing and catching every 5 minute update the tags they do add are gone by the next update so if you are not watching it like a hawk you are missing tags. Still not as many 1-4 point unit elk tags have gone on their and there were quite a few of those last year. If they were trying to alleviate people at offices why not do it like last year with a preview list, but make it online or phone only???

10-Aug-17
So it does us as bowhunters no good after the stand and line day and bonding with your fellow hunter .the 30 day rule no benefit to turn tags in can't get points or Money back

10-Aug-17
Process is working fine. There are just lots of people watching for tags. I got a left over buck tag. It showed up on a list while I was on break. I had it bought in 3 minutes from the list update and it was gone on the next update 2 minutes later.

Sorry I like the system. It is fair to everyone, we all have an equal opportunity. There is not a system that everyone will like. But in this case it works.

Still waiting for one more elk tag to show up.

A little luck would be good.

10-Aug-17
I've also gotten tags the other system was just as fair it all comes down to luck and being the first to have your info loaded and accepted.

10-Aug-17
I don't know how it works but I hope some of the new tags get thrown on in the evening. Many folks can't be on the internet during the day.

10-Aug-17
For some reason I'm wondering if there's internal emails sent out to cpw folks that says what tags they are releasing in a few minutes??? I think this because I download the page at least 30x's from 8-4 and rarely see the list change.

10-Aug-17
The new system favors any hunter with good friends at CPW that have access to the knowledge of returned tag. All they have to do is send a text to their buddy that they are putting up a certain tag now. The new system is BS. I'd like to know, if any, what checks and balances are in place to prevent this from happening from within.

10-Aug-17
There's probably not that many tags being turned in. It's not like all these great tags are being turned in every second

10-Aug-17
Last year there were a lot of 0-4 point tags turned in. Not seeing it this year and I have a job where I don't have to wait for a break like coelker. I'm refreshing at least 30 times per day.

The system needs to go back to the preview list.

11-Aug-17
I definitely preferred the preview list. Both ways require luck to get a tag. With the preview list I was not productive at work for 5 minutes. The way it is now I'm not productive at all....lol!

11-Aug-17
I agree 8pointer lots of 0-4 point tags last year, this year they seem to be null and void. I believe the CPW even claimed something like 9,000 or more tags are returned every year kinda wondering where they are at this year.

11-Aug-17
I was told by the SE office that they did away with the preview list and 9:00 Tuesday sales because folks were lining up every Tuesday morning like it was the very first day of leftover sales.

Just make leftover sales online only the first day if its such a problem, this new way sucks!

11-Aug-17
Agreed jlmatthew!

11-Aug-17
I bet they have less turned in tags due to the new rules in place where they have to be turned in 30 days in advance. People now actually have to have pretty solid plans to actually hunt with that tag before they applied for it. The previous system allowed for people to draw tags that they weren't even sure they could use but just to have it in case. A lot of people would draw the tag and then if scouting didn't turn up a desirable target then they's return it the day before the season started.

There's a little more skin in the game now which is probably why we're seeing less quality leftovers available. That and the fact there is more opportunity for foul play within the CPW.

11-Aug-17
They had the 30 day rule last year

11-Aug-17
They have a contact that processes information requests under the "sunshine law". I used it last year to find out where all the leftovers went last year. I was denied due to the personal information my request tried to access. You could probably get a copy of the policy/procedure in place.

14-Aug-17
The system is fine, mostly. I think the first walk up day is ridiculous as anyone 2nd or later in line is screwed because the system shuts down. After that pay attention and be ready. I have 8 tags for me and my family in the last 2 years that were 1-13 point tags. All purchased after the opening day of leftover sales. Obviously this year the 13 point tag is out of play, justifiably with the 5 pt or better applicant next in line getting a 2nd chance. Maybe it should be that way for any tag that requires pts. But for now, wth, this is what we got. It seems like no matter what the situation there is more complaining than the opposite. Learn how to play the game! I like it this way. It's still Christmas morning for tags every day, if you're lucky and play the game.

14-Aug-17
I got a ten point elk tag last Friday

14-Aug-17
Seriously, people complain way to much. No system will be perfect and this system is working well. Last year the first day left over went perfect. The system worked and in my location the first 3-4 people ended up with a tag. Not necessarily their first choice but something. It is nice seeing tags sprinkle in and being able to watch them leave. I myself have already had 2 tags from the leftover list, hoping to add a 3rd real soon.

I like the process, I have seen many tags come and go. Most are gone in 5-10 minutes after posting.

Everyone will complain until the system favor their exact set of circumstances.

Just like Wyatt, the rules are in place. The "game" is the same for everyone. It is up to the individual to play. We all have the exact same chance as the next guy. Are you willing to make it work?

15-Aug-17
The every 5 minute update is a little much. Once a day would be better in my opinion. Aside from that I like the way they are doing it.

16-Aug-17
Somebody got an awesome tag today saw E-E-001-E1-R hit the list around noon today that tag is 17 points for res and 23 for non-res

16-Aug-17
That's a good tag Orion. I picked up a cow tag the other day. I bought it during 2 red light stops in traffic. Knew the tag would be gone fast.

22-Aug-17

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
Better lucky than good. Count me as ecstatic... this just happened.

Happy to hear via PM from any folks who have hunted this tag.

22-Aug-17
Still crazy...Congrats again.

22-Aug-17
Nice tag! I had stopped looking for archery tags since the cut off to return them and get points or a refund was back in July. Figured they would have been put back up before now.

22-Aug-17
Wow Kirby outstanding!!

23-Aug-17
Cool, Kirby! Have a great time down there!

• Sitka Gear