mrw 26-Aug-17
spike78 26-Aug-17
mrw 26-Aug-17
Pi 26-Aug-17
drslyr 26-Aug-17
drslyr 26-Aug-17
mrw 27-Aug-17
29-Jun-17
I have 3 micro foodplots, 2 on the edge of a clear cut,one in the woods that produces enough sunlight to support it. With all the rain we've had they're taking off. I broke it up into sections, using whitetail institute clover blend, and another high protein with chicory. So far traffic is great, I'm just hoping to keep it that way through October. My thought is maybe a big boy or to will want to keep adding the size in preparation for the rut, so I'm looking to expand the plot in the woods,which so far has the most activity. I'm turning the soil with hand tools,adding lyme and fertilizer seems to set it right. Just wondering if anyone else is doing foodplots this year,and if so, what you think I could add that would hold them for a bit in early fall? While the rest of the world is preoccupied with summer vacations, these are the things that occupy my mind! Lol. Thanks guys, Bryan

30-Jun-17
I have a small one with clover chicory and whitetail institute no plow mix. Things that work later, and stay green are brassicas, winter wheat, winter peas. Just look up best plants for fall food plots and you'll find websites with lists of what'll stay green in colder temps. The clover and chicory will get ya into November. End of August through some more seed down. That'll all be fresh for hunting season. Brassicas grow pretty easy. They're in the no plow and come in very well.

04-Jul-17
Thanks Murphy, I'll be sure to reseed in August, I've been told wheat and clover go hand in hand. It's fun experimenting and figuring out what they want, and or need in the diet.

07-Jul-17
I've had 4 acres of food plot for years, summer and spring nothing beats clover and the hammer it. But once acorns come down and weather cools it is not constantly hit. And is usually done end of October. Barassics are the go too. With are seasons as late as they are nothing beats them. And if we happen to get a year with few acorns it will drawn deer from all around

23-Aug-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
Well first year attempting in small micro plot in woods Evolved Harvest throw and grow. Raked down covering leafs to soil contact in a an area that is a water collection puddle, wet but not standing water. I figure 1 - provides open area for sunlight to come through canopy. 2 - water will naturally collect there. Seeded on Sunday aug 13 right before rain and 5 days later had clover and brassicas up! No lime or fertilizer before. I guess we will see, but pretty optimistic after seeing quick results.

26-Aug-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
I just planted my home food plot. You think they could wait until it grows.

26-Aug-17
Lol MRW. I planted a couple pear trees in the backyard and they stripped the leaves and buds bare within the first 3 weeks!

26-Aug-17
Spike, I plant 4 - 6 apple trees every year. Every year the deer kill them.

26-Aug-17
It is important to cover/ protect some of your food plot. Add an E- wire fence or bird netting to an area so it will not be munched to death. Then uncover it a few days before the season or whenever the time is right. It will produce.

Fertilize any plant that they eat and it will make a better product for them . Natural or planted. Plant an apple tree and add to its offering . Rake up acorns and drop them under an oak. Spray apple juice and salt on any thing. Mineral licks are a great addition . Dig a hole and line with plastic , fill with water. Get ready to shoot.

26-Aug-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
putting in a food plot

26-Aug-17
We like to plow upside down sometimes. It keeps it interesting.

27-Aug-17
Am I the only one annoyed our wet summer has dried up?

• Sitka Gear