Tweed 03-Jul-17
Crusader dad 03-Jul-17
Spike 03-Jul-17
rick allison 03-Jul-17
Reggiezpop 11-Jul-17
30-Jun-17
Awesome bro

30-Jun-17
Nice website. Horrible font they're using.

30-Jun-17
They don't look very sharp, I won't pay $55 to have to sharpen them myself.

30-Jun-17
The whole website is a mess. Not even any pics of the real product. Plus it looks like he stole pics from the Mtn Ops site to give him some credibility. Classy RC, even for you.

01-Jul-17
what is the advantage of a single bevel?

01-Jul-17
Single bevel is a constant debate topic in the trad world, of which I'm a member.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the specifics behind the concept, Google Dr Ed Ashby's studies. It's a good read and he did extensive research, specifically on large and medium sized African game.

In a nutshell...the single bevel causes the broadhead to "turn" as it cuts through an animal. From my experiences on whitetails, this is true. The turning creates a signature "s" cut through the animal and actually cuts more tissue than a 1" wide head normally would.

Buy Dr Ashby's main point is the bone breaking ability...it's a c.o.c. head with a "tanto" tip which acts as a chisel on impact and the physics of the turning head splits bone.

While I've never impacted a leg or shoulder with one, the in and out rib hits are pretty impressive...blows em up. Granted, deer ribs are not much of an obstacle.

But, Dr Ashby intentionally shoots elk, moose, and African critter legs, scapulas, what have you...with remarkable results.

Reach your own conclutions.

They've worked real well for me, but my only knock on em is they can leave a minimal blood trail on marginal hits. Example: hunting with a 52lb recurve 2 years ago, I shot a buck at 24 yards...feeding head down, with a fairly sharp quartering away angle. I hit farther back than I wanted and feared a gut shot. He blew outa there and ran about 75 yards circling right to left before stopping to look back my way. After a few seconds he ran ahead into thick blowdowns out of eyesight. After a wait I climbed down, found my arrow burried in the ground...2117 aluminum with a 175gr. Grizzly 2 blade single bevel. After a few hours I went to look. Other than the shot site, I couldn't find a drop of blood. But, when he took that last run he only made it about 10 yards.

Upon autopsy, the angle did hit gut, through the center of the liver, the back half of the far lung, and out. The "s" cut through the liver was big and wide open. The lung was also a wide open wound. The gut too...icky.

I hit no arteries or anything else to really pump out blood, but he was down in seconds.

I think the lack of blood was more due to the hit than the broadhead, but they're designed on a 3 to 1 ration of length vs width.

Anyway, I like em for my recurve and longbow but if I was huntin only deer with a compound I'd prolly look elsewhere.

But, a coworker took a buffalo with a 70lb compound and Grizzly heads. Remarkable performance on a BIG animal.

Draw your own conclusions.

01-Jul-17
lol your such a clown woods.

Thanks rick I'll save what you wrote. Good info

01-Jul-17
I followed RC's build when he did it. He's got a single bevel head with a profile similar to the old Bear Razor Head, or Zwickey Eskimo. I've no doubt it's extremely effective...say what you will...he does some fine work. I've never met him, but then again...they don't let me out much ;^)

01-Jul-17
Most single bevels like Grizzly, Abowyer, Alaskan (Ashby's), or Tuff Head are straight profiled with a 3 to 1 configuration...say, 3" long x 1" wide. Others have a curved profile. They are all WAY over priced but are almost indestructible. I think Tuff Head comes with a lifetime warrenty and they stand behind it.

I shoot Grizzly...both 155 and 175 grain. They're a snap to sharpen with a KME jig and stone, quiet, and fly great. In my older years, I like sharpening...kinda therapeutic.

I also shoot right wing feathers, so you wanna order accordingly. They come beveled right and left wing. No biggie really, but the proper feather-bevel configuration helps in the "turning" effect.

01-Jul-17
Yeah it has nothing to do with Ron. Yet some of the pics say R.Kulas on them, hmmm. They guy is wicked talented, I've said that a million times. He's just an ass online.

02-Jul-17
Rick- why do you say over priced?

At 3Rivers single beveled are usually much cheaper than 3 blade and will many times come in sets of 6 rather than sets of 3.

02-Jul-17
Well, if Rock-a-bye refers to me (?) Alaska bowhunting's (Ashby) 3 pack for $90 is a little too rich for my wallet. Otherwise, Grizzlys aren't too bad...I guess...if people will pay I guess I don't blame em.

I'm not concerned myself though, between Grizzly, Woodsman, Zwickey, and old Bear greenies I'll never need to buy anymore. But that said, I do love to tinker about and try different stuff.

02-Jul-17
For a trad head, I like the DRT's and at the shows you can get 3 for 29.00 and they have a lifetime guarantee,,,,,, I damaged one hitting a rock, broke a bleeder blade, that is built in, and they replaced it..... they come both double and single bevel,,,,,, going to try the single bevel

03-Jul-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
I paid about $30 for a 3 pack of grizzlys I think.

Here's a pretty radical looking one.

"There is absolutely no wind planing. Badger Broadheads continue spinning through the target, retaining kinetic energy longer for deeper penetration."

03-Jul-17
I'll stick with my rages.

03-Jul-17
Slick trick heads

03-Jul-17
Crusader & Spike...that's cool...shoot what YOU like and what works for you. It's all good.

I was answering a question on single bevels and qualified my experiences of being a stickbow guy. I also noted if I shot compounds, I'd prolly look elsewhere.

To each their own, eh? There's a myriad of broadhead choices out there to fit anybody's equipment or application.

11-Jul-17
Some of the broadheads I've been researching appear to by glue on. Does one just glue in an insert to make these broadheads compatible with carbon arrows?

• Sitka Gear