drslyr 05-Jul-17
SILVERADO 06-Jul-17
jon bow 07-Jul-17
Will 10-Jul-17
BC 10-Jul-17
01-Jul-17

Fatkid1979's embedded Photo
Fatkid1979's embedded Photo
I imagine everyone here has shot 50 yards or tried to see how far they can shoot. I tried today. I put the target out, walked to the end of the driveway, then into the street. Don't ask about legalities, I'm bad about that for practicing only. Well, I was very impressed. Tight grouping. Even more so that I have a 3 pin sight set for 20, 30, and 40 yards. So I guessed at 50. This is my 2nd time shooting the bow since the new string and all the adjustments done at Reedy's Archery shop. Anyway, thought I would share. Please share your longest shots.

02-Jul-17
My "longest shot" was 20 years ago in a friends back yard in the country... 90 yards at a 3D deer decoy. I was shooting a Jennings Unitech back then.. 70 pounds... the let-off on that bow felt like it was 95%. Anyway, I had a Fine Line sight back then... had crosshairs set for 20, 30 & 40 yards. As a joke, I went 90 yards back from the target and used the top of the sight's frame to line up the shot. I hit the target right in the middle (i.e., a 3D gut shot). My buddy and I were both laughing our butts off. The arc on that shot was impressive... a real rainbow falling from the sky.

02-Jul-17
Jimbo, that's awesome

02-Jul-17
Theres a target in the chicopee sportsmans club walking course that you can shoot 70yds. Ive done some 80s in ct. I shoot 50 and 60 alot. Sure makes those 20 and 30s cake shots.

02-Jul-17
I like shooting long for practice or to prep for a western hunt. Next time I go to the club I'll post some pics. Great group, you're ready for Colorado!

02-Jul-17
Thanks BC. Maybe one day I'll have some great trophy heads like yours. Man, everyone is shooting some really long distances. Which I think brings up the question, how far would anyone shoot to get a deer with a bow. After a given distance, penetration is lost. We all want a clean and ethical kill. So I think my max shot is 50 yards. I saw how much the arrow arcs and the time it takes to get to the target. The deer could have completely moved. It did go about 12 inches into the target. I know because.my arrows are 28 inches and it was just shy of half way in. I'm shooting at 60 pounds and 28 inch pull back with 80% let off at full draw. I get about 309 feet per second. I know some bows can get as high as 345 feet per second. Just a thought. Keep the stories coming and post pics if you got them. Keep practicing everyone. Happy 4th of July to all.

03-Jul-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
This is the longest kill I've had, 53 yards. South Dakota spot and stalk hunt. Very wide open country, almost no cover. I practiced all summer for that shot.

03-Jul-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Alaska, barren ground caribou hunt. Another tough one. Literally crawling on my belly to make this shot. 40 yards. The wind was a big factor on this hunt.

03-Jul-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Missouri, 10 yards almost straight down. Most of the deer I have killed are not more than 30 yards and most times quite a bit less. I pays to practice both scenarios.

03-Jul-17
BC, from the looks of it you've been all over the place. Awesome! If you could recommend one hunt what would it be?

03-Jul-17
That's a tough one Moon but I'd probably have to say a whitetail hunt. Something about being in the deer woods when the leaves turn that really gets me. The other hunts are great adventures too but I'm a whitetail nut. The Alaska trip was awesome. It was a DIY so the cost was doable. Anything out west is great too. I do think every bowhunter should try to hunt a few different species if they can. It's getting kind of pricey now but save a little and get it done. You won't regret it.

03-Jul-17
Those are some great photos, BC... very cool. That open country spot-and-stalk had to be one heck of a tough hunt!

03-Jul-17
Yeah Jimbo it was. The antelope was a challenge. Killed on the last day. The upside was there are so many goats out there you get multiple stalks a day. Even tried walking in with a herd of cows to close the distance. We had them running to decoys too. It was a fun hunt.

04-Jul-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Sorry for high jacking the thread. I get on roll sometimes when I start going down memory lane.

Back to the original intent...this is 30 yards in my backyard. Happy 4th to all.

04-Jul-17
BC, it looks like if you get a deer within 30 yards, you're only gonna need to shoot it once. LOL Very nice group!

04-Jul-17
BC, that is a very tight group. Awesome.

05-Jul-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Here some practice at 80yds

06-Jul-17
53 yds backup shot in a CT whitetail buck, ended up hitting a touch high and slight forward but he dropped in his tracks. 3D I've shot out to 60

07-Jul-17
That's awesome I practice out to 60yds but don't plan on taking the shot in the woods unless I have to.never shot at a deer past 30yds so far but I know I can if need to

10-Jul-17
BC - much respect. Having just driven through badlands, black hills, and a bunch of prairie east of there... Dang! I was driving around, looking at mulies or speed goats and thinking a few things: 1.) I see why guys from the west always talk about good optics 2.) You would have to start a stalk from like 2 miles to circle into a good wind 3.) You need luck to have terrain to help hide you for the first 1.5 miles of that stalk - or so! 4.) You best be able to shoot really well, fairly far, to make it come together.

Awesome country, but wow, zero cover!

10-Jul-17

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Yeah Will, it's a different world out there. Here's a pic of two mulies I took through the spotting scope. They were over a mile away in a deep ravine. My son put a stalk on these bucks that took well over an hour. He got to about 40 yards and got busted.

• Sitka Gear