Kansasclipper 17-Jul-17
writer 17-Jul-17
Kansasclipper 17-Jul-17
MDW 17-Jul-17
writer 17-Jul-17
Westksbowhunter 17-Jul-17
writer 17-Jul-17
05-Jul-17
Wondering if anyone would be willing to share some info on the Elk City Area & Mind Land Area. I've been looking at the wild life book and Google maps trying to figure something's out but its hard to tell. My uncle and I are coming down this year and stay in Parsons and hunt the public land areas. We drew units 11 & 12. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

05-Jul-17
I was down there a week or so ago for the state shoot at Claythorne Lodge. I spent a few hours fishing some of the pits and was able to have a 20 min conversation with some local hunters. They said it is over run with NR hunters now. They went in to mention that access by boat used to be a good way to avoid the crowd, but recently they had deerstands stolen as far as 3/4 of a mile from the road accessible by water

05-Jul-17
You need to go to the Fall River Wildlife area and check it out, plenty of primitive camp areas, river access to remote areas, very little pressure from resident hunters, be sure and bring your fishing gear also as the fishing is great in the off time. Lots of mature deer in the area. 10 minutes to Eureka for gas, food, lodging if needed, hell I've done went and talked myself into going back there again. Might see you down there, maybe, pretty secluded and quiet.

05-Jul-17
I appreciate the info. I will look into it.

05-Jul-17
Sometimes Chief type with forked fingers. Be careful BB.

05-Jul-17
Watch for the state "special hunts"..they will be announced 7/15..its an application process..look for a chance to hunt KAAP

06-Jul-17
Yeah fall river is definetly a great area but I've always found it over-run with people as well

06-Jul-17
Thanks for the info. As far as pressure goes, I'm from Central WI and there is quite a bit of pressure here, like 2-3 hunters every 40 acres where I hunt.

06-Jul-17
Yea, we're shooting for one per acre here...almost there

06-Jul-17
Sito thats fricken funny lets just suround em and we can all tag the same deer

06-Jul-17
So off subject kinda...

I was in far Western KS for the opening of Archery Pronghorn season(they're friggin Pronghorn not Antelope Palmquist) a few years back. My buddy and I pulled up to an 80 that we had access to, we were going to glass it. Lined up on the road were 5 guys with bows in their hands and a big van parked at one end. Out in the field there was the 6th fella, and he was literally trying to push the one lone goat to the "firing line". We kept rolling, but I stopped on a nearby hill to watch it go down.

The young buck made it through a gap, but I saw at least three guys drop a string. Luckily none of them took an arrow to the guliver but it would have been well earned.

That's what our deer season will soon look like I'm afraid, but the "DA's" will be toting cross-guns and three or four different types of firearms at the same time...used to be called Archery season and you needed to apply some skill...no more.

06-Jul-17
Haha they must've been pheasant hunters out trying to bowhunt

06-Jul-17
Pushing antelope towards a line of hunters who'll be shooting at it as goes between them. Geez, how stupid. What's next, two guys hiding behind turkey fans stalking each other?

06-Jul-17
Both stupid Mike

06-Jul-17
Wow, thanks for pointing that out, Kyle. I was referring to the latter, which got two guys shot up pretty bad, in April, in southeast Kansas.

07-Jul-17
Well, we have a lot of guys on hunting sites who shouldn't be around a computer keyboard either...Of course that wouldn't include any of us. Of course. :-)

07-Jul-17
This site reminds me of this.... There’s a well-known Indian parable about six blind men who argue at length about what an elephant feels like. Each has a different idea, and each holds fast to his own view. “It’s like a rope,” says the man who touched the tail. “Oh no, it’s more like the solid branch of a tree,” contends the one who touched the trunk. And so on and so forth, and round and round they go.

07-Jul-17
A "Castration Test" could solve most problems!

07-Jul-17
Fall River dies have a few big ones but is is over-run as well since it's only a little over an hour from Wichita. Many of the bottoms flood in the summer when the Corp if Engineers holds back water. These vast areas have mud covered fields and vegetation and seee avoid them

16-Jul-17
BBD34 pm sent

16-Jul-17
I've hunted the mined lands area many times. Not what it used to be but its not overrun with hunters like others said. There is a lot of area and I would recommend utilizing a jon boat, etc. Shoot me a PM and I'll key you in on some areas.

16-Jul-17
LOL I lived in the pits for 50 years. I know every inch of every section. It is pressured like no other now.

16-Jul-17
That may be true, Jeff. I have not hunted in in 6 years but it was also dependent on the time of year you were hunting it too when I was there with the influx of people.

16-Jul-17
"I lived in the pits for 50 years"

How friggin' old are you, Jeff? 50 years in the pits, coached and taught 50 years in western Kansas..

17-Jul-17
99 I got pics of me holding up fish in the 60's.

17-Jul-17
So do I, and I'm a long ways from 99.

17-Jul-17
Actually 364 in dog years.

17-Jul-17
Crap, I have picture's myself & fish from back in the mid 50's. How old doe's that make me?

17-Jul-17
Shoot, Clip...you're just a puppy!

17-Jul-17
Ready for force fetch.

17-Jul-17
LOL....or intro to collar.

• Sitka Gear