Bigfoot 11-Jul-17
Drop Tine 11-Jul-17
razorhead 12-Jul-17
CaptMike 12-Jul-17
CaptMike 12-Jul-17
razorhead 12-Jul-17
CaptMike 12-Jul-17
05-Jul-17
Glad to see it made it through, this was a no-brainer anyway. Thanks for sharing Woodsdweller.

06-Jul-17
So fill me in, what changed or didn't change...?

06-Jul-17
what is the difference? my shooting/hunting hours did not change, so what was this all about?

06-Jul-17
Where's your proof that the WCC tried to alter the vote? Also are you sure you didn't embellish the question? Resolutions are restricted to the size and length in words allowed. Your post above exceeds the limit easily.

06-Jul-17
Drop Tine....... ignore the poacher

06-Jul-17
Mike-

The difference that I see now, is that you can hunt 24/7 but only shoot during the established times. It's going to be fun to spend the night under a treed bear to wait for shooting hours to finish the deal!! A super WIN for the sportsman!

07-Jul-17
If your in a stand, well past legal shooting hours, and you have your bow hung with an arrow knocked, in my opinion your hunting..... If you were just wanting to sit and watch nature, or ease out not to scare deer, your bow would have already been lowered,,,,,,,,

Who is kidding who here,,,,, but that is my opinion......... Most hunters are honest, heck I think this is more of an urban issue, I have never had a problem, and I have been checked back at my truck..... when shooting times now, or old hunting hours are up, I leave my blind or stand,,,,,,,

somehow, somewhere, there was a problem on someones end to make this such a big deal,,,,,,, but are you saying, that the warden now has to actually see the person release an arrow or discharge the weapon, for a violation to occur,,,,,,,?

07-Jul-17
So you believe, that being in the stand, with bow at ready, and arrow nocked, and its well after hours, that, the person is not hunting???????????????

07-Jul-17
well we could disuss to doomsday, but its now the law, so we will leave it like that

07-Jul-17
Razor-

That is the reason for the change, that way they can legally hunt after hours....as long as they don't shoot. That way as long as they don't run a projectile downrange after "shooting hours" everything else is legal.

I think that the big push came from the morning hours, I have possibly "hunted"(by definition) prior to "hunting hours" of old, by nocking my arrow as soon as I got set up in my stand in the morning or putting a round in the chamber as soon as I got situated in my gun stand or turkey blind. The evenings were never an issue with unloading or removing the arrow. Who wants to sneak in under a turkey roost, to have the Tom start gobbling 20 minutes before "hunting hours", only to have to wait another 20 minutes until it lighter out and he is looking for a place to pitch down, only to be able to rack a round in the chamber at that point for him to fly off in the other direction. Now at least you can start to talk to the birds before "shooting hours", before it was illegal to start calling until "hunting hours", because as soon as you call, you were hunting.

I see pros and cons to this, I don't see it as a huge win or huge loss. There will be abuses of the law, no matter what it says.

07-Jul-17
Lots of truth to your post Fivers.

07-Jul-17
You could ALWAYS have an arrow nocked or shell in the chamber before and after hours. They have to prove intent. Having an arrow nocked in the dark proves nothing.

08-Jul-17
Pointing a gun at a LEO proves nothing also. But see where it gets you.

08-Jul-17
Ron - Your talented in many areas. One area you should stay away from is that of interrupting law and providing accurate information regarding laws and their subsequent enforcement..

The "legal standard" for writing a citation is "Reasonable Suspicion". The legal standard for obtaining a conviction on that same citation, in court, is "clear and convincing" evidence, which is a much less than the standard required in a criminal case. The only time you as a LEO has to prove "Intent" as well as provide "probable cause" for the arrest.. Clearly these are not criminal matters. These are civil forfeiture citations.

Stick to the Sport Shows Ron.

08-Jul-17
Clear and concise laws are a win for both hunters, LE and the over-burdened court system. This law is one of those win-win situations that benefit all. Congrats to the DNR Board for a common sense action, something often lacking in government.

08-Jul-17

08-Jul-17
This law EFFECTS LESS than 1% of the WI Hunting Population based on citations issued!

So when your done doing your "Happy Dance" Ron, sit down and look at numbers. With over 700,00 hunters in WI, LESS than 1% and your going gonzo. Unbelievable my friend. Problem is it effects 100% of our warden staff. It effects the safety and well-being of wardens. Their job is dangerous enough we don't not need to put them or anyone else in harms way. Get over yourself my good friend - there are bigger fish to fry. New traditions...what ever you say!

08-Jul-17
"Clear and concise laws are a win for both hunters, LE and the over-burdened court system" Not a win for law enforcement - that's coming from a "law enforcement officer". LESS than 1% of the hunting population. Really? That's like a room of 100 hunters and one half of a hunter (1/2) of a body is jumping up and down because "It's a win".... And the court system - you have no idea what "burdens" a court system unfortunately. Is it "Family Court". How about "Civil Court" or wait it might be "DV Court" or could it be "Drug Court"? Maybe it just "Intake" on Monday mornings? These are ALL duties of our courts system. Many you have never heard of these different functions.

It's not the LESS than 1% of the cited sportsman that are going to make a difference - if you believe that I have several bridges for sale Gentlemen. Line up.

08-Jul-17
Maybe frivolous lawsuits by sh**stain attorneys suing for anything and everything may cause congestion in courts too.

08-Jul-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo

08-Jul-17

Drop Tine's Link
Your as bad as Chris Matthews talking about Obama.

08-Jul-17
"Maybe frivolous lawsuits by sh**stain attorneys suing for anything and everything may cause congestion in courts too."

That very well might be true but what does it have to do with this conversation? Try and focus.

08-Jul-17
Talking about burdens of court rooms - Captain Dick Head. Stay stupid.

08-Jul-17
"Talking about burdens of court rooms - Captain Dick Head. Stay stupid."

Thanks Pasq, with such an ignorant comment, I need not reply to make you look foolish. You do fine on your own.

08-Jul-17
Avoid the advice from the anti ego groups Captain and stay away from the witch doctor while hunting in Africa. It's obvious the brain is being affected with shrinkage and not the cranium. Happly hunting to you in the the fall.

09-Jul-17
I've NEVER thought about this law anyway. I get out there a full hour before any light usually and if I can see to shoot, I will. I also hunt till dark. I have no idea what the actual time is for being legal and I haven't looked at it for years. Any deer I've killed has been well within daylight hours but I HUNT till last light. This is one rule that I don't give a shit about. I know when I'm legal and not based on whether it's good light or not. If I feel like it's an ethical shot. I will take it. Am I the only one who will admit to having had no idea about the minutes of the hour?

09-Jul-17
good thing you do not duck hunt

09-Jul-17
i do pay attention to when the times are and the last few years it has amazed me.....the 1st month of deer season i have to get down 15 minutes early because i can barely make out what is 5 yards in front of me......but now the last month of the season i can get down when legal is over,walk 20 minutes back to the house and still easily make out the color of any vehicles going down the road 100 yards away

09-Jul-17
So this begs the question, can Ron now hunt out of season as unless he or someone else shoots, they are not in violation of hunting when it is not legal?

09-Jul-17
Honestly I would bet 95% of hunters do what Crusader does. If they can see a deer an make an ethical shot, they take it. Not say, oh no I can't shoot for 5 more minutes, lol. Now when you hear those shots 1/2hr before or after first/last light, that's another story.

09-Jul-17
I like Neverbaits idea . Just go hunting whenever you get the urge . Right now should be a good time of year for stalking . I never watch a clock either . I just hunt till I can't see um at 10 yard's . Haha

09-Jul-17
a win for poachers... a loss for the law abiding sportsmen. Now the poacher has a total green light to sit out there after "hours" on his bait pile, the only chance he will get caught now if the warden actually watches him shoot the deer. Not much of a deterrent, in fact zero. Before the wardens would catch people hunting after hours, (we all know damn well they were actually hunting...only the word twisting poacher likes we have here think otherwise), the word would get around and keep more people honest. Now the word will get around and in a few years it will be basically a nite hunt. LOSS for sportsmen, less trophy bucks in the woods, more will be poached. Only a win for the blowhard who baits illegally, and talks to himself on the bowsite

09-Jul-17
"in a few years it will be basically a nite hunt"

you mean like the "Native Americans" currently do now?

10-Jul-17
It would be great fun to shoot Canada Geese with archery equipment!

11-Jul-17
"Shooting hours have been in place for years for waterfowl hunters. Look at how it made those guys into poachers." Good point WD. However, the ignorant ones will ignore facts and a past and present history in lieu of their emotions.

11-Jul-17
Shooting hours has never been in place for waterfowl hunting.

11-Jul-17
Actually Shooting hours are and have been in place for waterfowl. Look at the past regulations. The table is listed as shooting hours.

11-Jul-17
No they don't. WI waterfowl regs have always said hunting hours, just like the other species.

11-Jul-17
from the us fish and wildlife service-office of law enforcement

"Shooting hours. You cannot hunt waterfowl except during the hours open to shooting."

11-Jul-17
from wisconsin migratory bird regulations(notice page 28)

Table of Contents Recent Regulation Changes...............................................................3

License Information...........................................................................4

Stamp Requirements..........................................................................5

License Fees and Information............................................................6

Migratory Game Bird Regulations.....................................................7

2017 Migratory Bird Hunting Zones and Seasons...........................14 (Includes Early Goose/Teal/Dove, Youth, Wild Duck and

Migratory Game Bird)

2017 Goose Hunting Zones and Seasons.........................................18

Canada Goose Harvest Reporting....................................................23

2017 Youth Waterfowl Hunt ............................................................23

Falconry Seasons .............................................................................25

Health Advisory ...............................................................................26

Other Important Information............................................................27

Shooting hours.................................................................................28

DNR Contact Information................................................................32

11-Jul-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
This is right from the pocket ranger app.

12-Jul-17
well I waterfowl hunt a lot,,,,, all I know, is do not shoot late do not have a loaded gun, in a blind, with the dekes out, after hours, or I can guarantee you, you will have problems,,,,,, and Federal wardens are strict .........

I keep a watch in my vest, set to the time, in the area I am in, and the regs right next to them,,,, my dekes go in legal, and when the time ends, I am out picking them out,,,,,,,,

don't plan on sitting in that blind with a loaded gun, after hours on the mississippi

I don't care what anyone says, check with your USFWS warden, or you will open up your wallet

12-Jul-17
How about before hours? My gun always gets loaded five or more minutes before shooting hours. One minute or 30, the law is the same for both. This is a perfect example why shooting hours make so much more sense than hunting hours.

12-Jul-17
"Their job is dangerous enough we don't not need to put them or anyone else in harms way." I certainly agree their job can be dangerous. What I don't understand is how this law makes it more dangerous.

12-Jul-17
I agree with you Mike, just saying do not be in that blind after hours, with gun in hand or dekes out..... stay well

12-Jul-17
Razor, and I agree with you. Once shooting hours are over, it is time for me to pack up and head home.

• Sitka Gear