DeerBuilder.com
archery may be starting early this year!
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
pondboy 05-Jul-17
Jebediah 05-Jul-17
Jebediah 05-Jul-17
Tazman 05-Jul-17
Jebediah 05-Jul-17
arch2112 05-Jul-17
Eastie778 06-Jul-17
spike78 06-Jul-17
Buckshot89 06-Jul-17
Murphy31 06-Jul-17
Jebediah 06-Jul-17
BC 06-Jul-17
pb901 06-Jul-17
arch2112 06-Jul-17
Proline 06-Jul-17
arch2112 06-Jul-17
Jebediah 06-Jul-17
bigwoodsbucks22 06-Jul-17
MA_Bowhunter 06-Jul-17
Moons22 06-Jul-17
muzzy 06-Jul-17
Proline 07-Jul-17
Mathews Halon 6 07-Jul-17
BruceP 07-Jul-17
BC 07-Jul-17
bigwoodsbucks22 07-Jul-17
PI 07-Jul-17
Jebediah 07-Jul-17
Jebediah 07-Jul-17
spike78 07-Jul-17
GED 07-Jul-17
Fatkid1979 07-Jul-17
bigsevig 07-Jul-17
GED 07-Jul-17
BC 07-Jul-17
muzzy 07-Jul-17
Proline 08-Jul-17
arch2112 08-Jul-17
Jebediah 08-Jul-17
BC 08-Jul-17
GED 08-Jul-17
Moons22 08-Jul-17
XMan 09-Jul-17
Jebediah 09-Jul-17
primal 10-Jul-17
muzzy 10-Jul-17
Will 10-Jul-17
jon bow 10-Jul-17
jon bow 10-Jul-17
jon bow 10-Jul-17
jon bow 10-Jul-17
Eastie778 10-Jul-17
Jimbo 11-Jul-17
Jebediah 11-Jul-17
SloMo 11-Jul-17
Ungie01201 11-Jul-17
spike78 11-Jul-17
mainephoneguy 11-Jul-17
GED 12-Jul-17
Ungie01201 12-Jul-17
bigwoodsbucks22 12-Jul-17
primal 12-Jul-17
spike78 12-Jul-17
primal 13-Jul-17
Ungie01201 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
Ungie01201 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
Ungie01201 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
Ungie01201 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
Will 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
spike78 13-Jul-17
Will 14-Jul-17
spike78 14-Jul-17
huntskifishcook 14-Jul-17
Ungie01201 17-Jul-17
spike78 17-Jul-17
huntskifishcook 17-Jul-17
Ungie01201 17-Jul-17
spike78 17-Jul-17
Tajue17 18-Jul-17
spike78 18-Jul-17
Ungie01201 19-Jul-17
GMC 19-Jul-17
Tajue17 19-Jul-17
Ungie01201 20-Jul-17
Will 20-Jul-17
Proline 20-Jul-17
Ungie01201 20-Jul-17
Will 20-Jul-17
Tajue17 23-Jul-17
Will 24-Jul-17
pondboy 25-Jul-17
Ungie01201 25-Jul-17
pondboy 25-Jul-17
Will 25-Jul-17
Jebediah 25-Jul-17
Jebediah 25-Jul-17
05-Jul-17
When into the mass wildlife office today to put my name in the antler less deer raffle and was told that the board will be voting soon on whether to start archery season a month earlier or not. Supposedly this has a fair amount of support among the board members and will put ma on par with all of our neighboring states. Was wondering if anyone on here has heard of this good news

05-Jul-17
Had not heard. Is this set by mass wildlife, or by the legislature? If it is set by mass wildlife, that's pretty exciting.

05-Jul-17
I would think it would be tough to implement for this year, because they already have the rule book printed, etc. Hope I'm wrong. Would love to get out in Sept. In fact now I can't think of anything else.

05-Jul-17
I honestly hope that doesnt happen. Keeping the season starting late, allows it to start when things start to happen and keeps people out of the woods somewhat. As much as i cant wait for opening day every year, i dont like getting in the woods much until the end of October. The less pressure early on the better. Just my thoughts.

05-Jul-17
But if I could get out this Sept I could get in on the 2016 11th rut.

05-Jul-17
I'll take the earlier season. Makes up for the 10+ Sunday's we don't get.

06-Jul-17
My initial thoughts are... great! I think we should have more time in the woods, both on Sundays and an earlier season. I try to take myself out of these equations and think of the guys who have little opportunity. My biggest concern however is the overall health of the herd. I think we could try it for a season or two and see what the effects are on the population. It would definitely be interesting, to switch strategies from preparing for the rut, almost anticipating it,to focusing more on food sources. I think spring scouting would play a larger role for sure. I like the idea in principle, of Massachusetts falling more inline with other states. I also realize that we are not other states, many of which have 5 times or more the deer we do. I am for it, with the hope that the results be closely monitored, with an eye toward conservation. Just my thoughts.

06-Jul-17
I like it due to the fact I see a lot of deer during bear season. It seems once October comes they go nocturnal.

06-Jul-17
I wouldn't mind it because a lot of the spots I've been "e - scouting" has the NH/MASS border running right through them. I carry both licenses so I wouldn't have to worry about possible mistakes while hunting close to the border.

06-Jul-17
I'd be for it. I had so many daylight pics last September, but around the second week of October they went pretty much nocturnal.

06-Jul-17
As some have said, you'd sure have to think about the impact on the herd. Same with Sunday hunting. If you look at day-by-day harvest, not surprisingly it shoots up on Saturdays. Add in Sunday, and harvest goes up greater than simply adding another day. Equivalent to adding another high-harvest Saturday. That's not to say September hunting or Sunday hunting are necessarily a bad idea, just have to be done thoughtfully.

06-Jul-17
Not certain about this but I think MA Wildlife can adjust season dates but the total season can not exceed the nine weeks perscribed by law. To make the total season longer than nine weeks they would have to petition the legislature to change the law. Again, not certain of this but I think that's the way it was.

06-Jul-17
With work and family stuff going on I'd rather see Sunday hunting brought in first, get more November/December time in the woods, but that's another can of worms. At the end of the day more hunting days is more hunting days.

06-Jul-17
Hunter recruitment is going down, access to land is dwindling in some areas. What's good for out west is not the same for in the eastern part of the state. Hopefully they find a good balance for the whole state.

06-Jul-17
Not in favor of it at all. We simply dont have enuff deer around anymore. I wouldnt expect it to happen this year because as stated above the seasons are already published and it would cause to much confusion.

06-Jul-17
I think bag limit is a better method to control herd population. 1 Antlered deer with the license. Everything else based on lottery, earn a buck, whatever. Sunday hunting is huge. We need to take back that day. If they expand the season earlier, maybe create bowhunting only, early season zones near suburban areas.

06-Jul-17
Called Masswildlife to see if anything additional could be learned. The person said that if implemented, it would apply to zones 10 through 14.

06-Jul-17
If they cut back on tags I am all for it. Like many have said, it needs to be balanced.

06-Jul-17
I would MUCH rather see Sunday hunting during archery than see this. I have hunted early season in NH and have not seen many deer until toward the end of October.

06-Jul-17
It ain't gonna happen...

06-Jul-17
Nope, don't think it would be good for the deer herd no matter what zone it's allowed in! If someone wants to hunt in September there are surrounding states that allow it.

Just last season there was plenty of guys saying that the deer herd was hurting and saying that the tag limit should be looked at, one buck tag, limited doe tags. Now it's game on and increase the season to bag more deer.

Hopefully the deer density in zone 10 and 11 doesn't influence the state into thinking that an early season state wide is the answer.

Lots of guys want the setback from houses changed from 500 ft to 150 for archery, so are we going to start shooting deer behind barns and lawnmower sheds? Are we going to wait for the kids to go in the house before we shoot a deer so it doesn't do a death Sprint across someone's yard and die behind the pool?

Leave the seasons as they are, leave the setbacks alone and get in the woods and find the deer because no matter what anyone thinks that's where the deer live. If it was easy then there wouldn't be much of a challenge. I prefer to beat them on their terms and earn that deer the HARD way. I remember just seeing a deer in this state was something you could brag about to your buddy's. Not shooting one, just seeing one. 35 years of hunting later I average 55 deer sightings a season while hunting, never mind scouting and seeing them from the truck. I pass up lots of deer while hunting, I don't shoot every deer I see. As I've gotten older I have become selective and set my sights on older more mature deer. I would like to see the deer herd grow and enjoy seeing more during the season. Longer seasons, shorter setbacks only means more deer will get shot. More deer shot means less deer the following year. Maybe a lot of you guys are young and don't remember very limited doe tags. Getting drawn for a doe tag was like winning the lottery! I personally don't want to see it like that again. If the state keeps giving away multiple doe tags and increasing the season we won't be seeing many deer and that's what the state of Mass is ultimately trying to accomplish.

We as hunters have to step up and help the herd survive and grow, not eliminate them. Let's not go backwards and then bitch and complain about the lack of deer.

07-Jul-17
Amen Muzzy. Agreed.

07-Jul-17
I agree, It's not going to happen.

07-Jul-17
Agree with Muzzy, mostly. I think they should leave the season dates as is, but I would like to see Sundays and archery setback reduced somewhat. The 500 foot setback in much of the eastern part of the state effectively eliminates a lot of otherwise huntable area. While 150 feet may put hunters a little too close to houses I think 300 feet would do a lot to open up some areas while still giving enough clearance to homes.

07-Jul-17
Definitely reduce the setback for archery. Current setbacks are from the gun season that were just carried over. In eastern MA suburbia it's impossible to abide by them anyway.

07-Jul-17
Yeah I find it extremely unlikely that this would actually happen. It cannot be as simple as a few people in one department voting on it.

07-Jul-17
Seems that we miss that first search period by a few weeks where bug bucks have their photos taken then don't likely come back through. I think the deer taken could still be regulated and the numbers would not suffer because of this early start. Maybe it would work the other way around. Get a deer or two and your done for the season . Later the gun club gets busy. Muzzy first then shotgun so we can get the heck out of the way. A few more weeks early season would be great. 300 feet setback, also great because so many spaces are about 900 feet or so, just shy of legal . I am for mandatory elevation in such spaces . One more thing ; why does the rabbit season have to start a few days before bow opener ? That drives me nuts.

07-Jul-17
Fully in favor of elevation requirement to accompany any reduction in setback.

07-Jul-17
Important point from Muzzy about having one drop in someone's back yard. Not a safety concern, but it sure is a social concern. Actually not a concern for me, personally, at all. I'm talking about for you guys who actually shoot deer.

07-Jul-17
Jeb, I agree. I never hurt anyone squirrel and bird watching.

07-Jul-17
I don't get it? Why would we not want to hunt more often in MA? You can choose to fill your tag when/if you want to. Thinking that an expanded archery season is bad, isn't a good way to think. If you can't make it out due to other obligations, then allow others that have the time the opportunity - don't be selfish.

I hunt out of state more often than MA, so it won't change my time in the woods. As a MA bowhunting education instructor I know many new hunters will benefit from more time in the woods.

We really are our own worse enemies. Let's stand up against longer deer hunting seasons in MA..... That is a special kind of stupid.

07-Jul-17
Ok, I read all the comments. Time for mine. Longer seasons or Sunday hunting, I'm for both. Shorter setbacks for archery only, I'm for it. Lower bag limits, a must. No reason anyone needs to get 3+ deer per season, unless they are donating the meet to a soup kitchen. I got 1doe and I fed 10 families a meal and stuffed my face. I still have a little left and she was not a huge doe. While these are my own thoughts, I'm open to the views of others. I would like to get out in the woods a little more. I can't go week days at all due to the family schedule with the kids. Even if I take a day off from work, I can't get it the woods until 9am at the earliest, if I go down the street from my house. My wife is a teacher and so she is at work in the morning while I get the kids ready and off to school. Bus pickup is 8:45am. If I drop them off at school, they can't go into the building until 9:10am, so the bus helps me save a few minutes. Saturday hunting for me. So Sunday hunting or longer season allow me a few more days. I personally prefer sunday hunting, but begged can't be choosers. I agree with the above that this couldn't happen this season. Dates are printed and government is slow, so if it would happen, it would be 2018 at the earliest. We are responsible for our own actions. We need to control the herd by controlling our own harvests. We all want the same thing, more deer population per mile of hunting, so why let the wildlife department decide for us? They say 5, we take 1. They can't force you to take more than you want. So be picky, aim small, miss small, and make those ethical harvests we enjoy so much.

07-Jul-17
early season is fine. however, i feel like the state is trying to phase out hunting with the seemingly never ending doe permits.....1 buck 1 doe. period. thats my thinking.

07-Jul-17
And while I am at it...

Anyone who thinks we should reduce to 1 buck tag in MA, I hope you are not filling your second tag now. If you think we shouldn't shoot does, then buy your tag and eat it. It is your choice and I respect your choice.

I am sick of selfish people bitching about changes they perceive will make their experience better without considering others. If you want more deer to live then stop killing them and start predator hunting.

We have what, a 36 day archery season now. "Bow hunters" here don't want more time in the stand?

07-Jul-17
Most seasons, come Sept, I'm hunting somewhere, either out west or CT. If MA opened early I'd hunt here and fill tags when possible.

07-Jul-17
Ged, after reading your posts, your all about killing deer rather than managing them. Those young Hunter's that you're teaching don't need to kill something to learn and appreciate the outdoors.

Time spent in the field Is was matters. You say that you don't hunt much in Mass. Why?

Why even bother to tell hunters that live and hunt this state that you think we are selfish for trying to help and save the deer herd for the future?

You sir, should think about what kind of influence you are making on the Young people that are taking your course.

( I am sick of selfish people bitching about changes they perceive will make their experience better without considering others). Huh? I can't see your point of view. This is mass, maybe you should spend more time chasing whitetails in this state, Then tell us how we are selfish. I want nothing but a healthy deer herd and lots of them. If you can't get the job done in the time the state allows then the season moves on and try again next year. Should only make you a better hunter.

08-Jul-17
muzzy you and I should grab a beer sometime. We think a lot alike! The second buck tag isn't really about killing two bucks, very few actually do. It's about about not whacking the first spike or fork that walks by because you know you have another buck tag if MR. Big comes by later in the season. Go to one tag and some of those juvenile bucks will get passed on in archery for sure.

08-Jul-17
Proline - I think the opposite would be true. Give me a longer season and 1 buck tag. I will wait for the buck I want. Even with two I wait and pass on all immature bucks. But that's my choice. I don't impose it on others. I know many guys who take the first buck they see to "get one in the freezer" and then hunt for a bigger buck. I honestly don't care if they have two buck tags but someone mentioned it would be better to keep the season shorter to keep the population at a good level. I offered a suggestion as an alternative. 1 buck tag and other methods to get more. I'm in favor of a longer season, not to kill more deer but to provide more time in the field as I am a targeting older deer and my schedule varies so much. I hunt RI because it's close to me and has a Sept 15th to Jan 31st season including Sundays. I see lots of deer in RI. I'm just in favor of a longer archery season.

08-Jul-17
That is interesting Proline, never thought of that. One buck tag has an effect a little bit like an antler restriction. When I got back into this a few years ago, after a long (decades) period of no hunting, I found the two-buck-tag thing bizarre. Had never heard of that. "Back in the day" (and in PA) it was one buck, period, no exceptions.

08-Jul-17
Still that way in PA

08-Jul-17
Arch2112 - RI has changed back to 10/1 for archery this season. They also reduced the doe tags as well.

-

Muzzy, I hunt RI more than MA. Simply because I have access to better land. Success is defined by each person, shoot what makes you happy. I am in favor of a longer season in MA because it will allow people to have more time to enjoy the woods.

Most of my MA hunting is done in archery only public land and quite honestly it isn't that difficult. In RI, I hunt 1,100 acres of private limited access big woods.

I am sick of people talking about reducing buck permits to 1 per season, but they will take 2 every year if given the opportunity. If anyone honestly believes we should take only 1 buck, then they should voluntarily do that now. Talk the talk and walk the walk.

You don't have to agree with me, quite honestly I don't care if you do. I don't need anyone to validate how I feel.

08-Jul-17
If it's brown it's down!

09-Jul-17
I would like to see a longer season Oct 1 to Jan 15 and add Sundays. I have no interest hunting in Sept, it's just too hot and buggy, give me more bone chilling cold days please :)

09-Jul-17
XMan I had the exact opposite thought, generally there's only a couple days in October that I can hunt in my speedo, would love to get out in Sept.

10-Jul-17
When I was a member on a lease in VT nobody shot does. Spikes and button bucks were killed without a second thought and that's all you saw. No big boys. That's one of the reasons I don't hunt there any more.

A 1 buck tag with restrictions like minimum antler length or at least 4 points would make things pretty interesting.

Does need to be killed as part of herd management. We as hunters need to get the state game manager who are in charge of managing OUR deer population, to work with & for us to ensure a healthy herd and realistic limits.

10-Jul-17
Proline, I like beer! I also agree with your post above. 1 buck tag might make some guys more selective but that would be guys that have a lot of time to spend in the woods. Guys with limited time and only a couple chances to get out are going to shoot whatever offers itself and I understand that.

I also think older hunters who have been doing this for a long time are more about quality over quantity.

Ged, I think there are many hunters out there who haven't filled both buck tags by choice. Guys who want to shoot mature, bigger antlered deer. Going to be hard to tag a big deer when you're already tagged out on a spike and 4 point.

Moons, your post above is clearly a sign of your age. If you and your friends keep shooting every deer that you see, your honey hole won't be to sweet next year because your taking more deer than their making and you'll be scratching your heads wondering what happened to all the deer. Show a little restraint and let some walk by and you might get a chance at a big deer looking for a doe you just passed on.

Xman, I agree that September is way too warm and bugs, sweat and long days wouldn't be quality time in the woods. The season ending in December is fine, after 2 1/2 months of pressure the deer need a break and need to prepare for a cold winter. Not chased out of their feeding, bedding areas.

Primal, unfortunately this state doesn't care about antlers. The state feels the deer herd is fine and they're more concerned about keeping the population where it is or reduce it more. That's why there are multiple doe tags given away in zones 10 and above.

10-Jul-17
I've heard nothing of this - until now... But I've been out of the loop busy, and then the last two weeks in MN and South Dakota on a road trip with the family... I'm all for a longer season. It was 3 weeks, then they opened it to 6 in Eastern MA for a while and a few years later the whole state. I'd be really excited to climb a Z6 tree on Sept 25 or what not some year. My suspicion, is that a factor influencing hunter recruitment and hunter involvement (just sticking with it) is that we are all so dang busy now a days that we don't have time to go. More days helps with that. While my sticking point for years has been deer numbers (the decrease in them)... It's been gradually shifting to hunter numbers. I'd say both are equally valuable to me. No hunters, no one to protect hunting... No deer, people dont get interested in hunting and stick with it. there has to be a balancing point. That said, I'd be happy with some form of antler restriction as well. I'd LOVE to see setback decreased, for archery. If that mandated over 10ft or something, fine. There are so many places if you hunt eastern and central MA where that simple act could hugely improve hunter access. I'd hope there would be common sense applied (rare today)... But overall, I can think of many places in Z6, 5, 8, 9 that I hunt near, where a 300 or 200 foot set back for archery would be a massive help. And I can think of areas where you just cant hunt now, legally, but could even with a 300ft. It's a tricky one, but overall, the sniff of increased opportunity to be afield, to me, has greater benefits for hunting over the long term, so I'm in, even though I have a few concerns about herd impact, hunter pressure forcing nocturnal deer motion, etc.

The biggest concern though, quite simply, is the thought of Jeb in his Muck boots, 20 feet up a hemlock in a speedo. Scent control, bugs... It's just to much... ;)

10-Jul-17
Unfortunately it's not the number of tags allowed by the state that will not change the minds of those who donot receive a doe tag from wacking one and sneaking it home to cut up in the garage with some buddies. There will still be guys sneaking them out of the woods during bow season getting them cuttting themup and reprinting their tags. The state will think their doing their part for management but won't have an accurate number of kills still.

10-Jul-17
Unfortunately it's not the number of tags allowed by the state that will not change the minds of those who donot receive a doe tag from wacking one and sneaking it home to cut up in the garage with some buddies. There will still be guys sneaking them out of the woods during bow season getting them cuttting themup and reprinting their tags. The state will think their doing their part for management but won't have an accurate number of kills still.

10-Jul-17

10-Jul-17
Sorry for the triple post didn't think the first 2 went through

10-Jul-17
I think ultimately the decision on which deer you tag, sex, size, number, belongs to the hunter. No one knows your area, your herd, better than you do. You spend countless hours, boots on the ground, food plots, stand locations,cams, and you know the deer you should harvest. Maybe your first deer is a management deer, a run down young buck. Maybe you have a ton of doe on camera. Maybe you hold out for one mature buck, or two. Who's to say that 5 1/2 year old monster wouldn't produce 3 or 4 more monsters down the road? The bottom line with me is I hunt deer because I eat deer, and my 4 boys eat deer. We could go through a freezer full of venison in no time flat. Don't get me wrong, I want the big boy I've been hunting so bad I can taste him. It's the pursuit that I love, tagging him would almost be bitter sweet at this point . No matter what deer you choose to harvest, I'm with you brother, because that's your deer. You payed for it, with your hard earned money, sweat, and precious time, so enjoy it. Sometimes were too willing to make the decision for others, or allow others to make the decisions for us. Let your morale compass be your guide, we are all stewards of the land. Now someone take this soapbox, it's mighty heavy. Haha. You never know Will, Jeb might look good in a speedo! :-)

11-Jul-17
I'd like to see Massachusetts start the deer season earlier, end it later and allow Sunday hunting.

I trust those who manage our deer herd. They're educated, trained and spend their work time focused on it. Me, on the other hand... I know how to effectively hunt a few pieces of land that may amount to less than a scintilla of one-one-thousands of a percent of deer habitat in our state.

Every year, I get a doe tag and a surplus doe tag. Many - but not all - years, I tag out... two bucks and two does. The last time I did that prior to late December was about 20 years ago.

I love venison. And, I have more than a dozen people who do not hunt that ask me for venison every year. Some years, I also donate venison to a local organization that houses Veterans who are down on their luck.

The bottom line for me is that I love hunting... and if I could do it more often here in Massachusetts, I would totally take advantage of it.

Now, when it comes to the critters I hunt... I'm a deer hunter. I love a shot at a big buck as much as anyone. But, I'm not a big-antlered-deer hunter. I'm just a deer hunter. That's not to say I shoot every one I see. I let deer walk for varying reasons depending on the day, the spot and the situation.

One last thing... one of my hunting buddies worked in construction (he just retired). He typically worked Monday thru Friday every week, with many of his jobs being over an hour away. And, just about every October and November he would have to work on Saturdays as they were trying to finish up jobs before the winter weather hit. I suspect there are a lot of guys just like him who would greatly benefit from being able to hunt on Sunday.

So, I support extending our season... and I really hope they allow us to hunt on Sunday.

Oh yeah... now that I'm 65 years old, I think there should be prime parcels that should be "open to hunting for seniors only."

:o)

11-Jul-17
Sadly, Eastie, the dog-walkers seem to universally side with Will. Even when I smile and wave.

11-Jul-17
I have it on good authority the early hunt may not go off or at all without our support. If it happens at all it`s probably going to happen next year or the following year but not this year. Seems it might really be driven by lost revenue at least that's what a very good source has told me. Makes sense. Early season bow hunting in other states has created some issues for revenue streams in Mass and it looks like goods news for us hunters. Unfortunately not everyone is on board with this proposal. There will be a public forum in the form of a state blog if you will. When this is blog is established hunters and friends will need to show strong support for early season bow hunting. Opposition is stout so don`t think this is a done deal by any means. I will be watching closely for the blog to start up and pass it along . This is by far the best bow site I have come across . We have the most knowledgeable group of members who aren`t afraid to help out . Please don`t allow the opposition to lull us to sleep thinking this is going to happen on its own. It won`t. Stay tuned .

11-Jul-17
I loved hunting CT mid Sept. The hunting was great before I lost my spots due to sale and development. I have shot a few velvet bucks that way. I have had some tremendous bucks patterned over the month of Sept. I would even be happy if we could get a 10/1start date like NY... But mid September would be a dream come true for me personally. Once daylight savings time hits, I find it hard to hunt as often as I would like.

11-Jul-17
X2 on the daylight savings time Ungie, I forgot about that.

11-Jul-17
I too would like to see the season expanded, maybe not all the way into September. But Oct. 1st would be nice. A few extra days would be great (Saturdays anyway) as I suspect we will never see a Sunday Hunt, so it seems like a fair option. I hunt Zone 4N/S and see plenty of deer, although not as many as back in the 90's, but usually have success in filing at least one tag. So deer numbers aren't so much my concern, its lack of hunters, lately seems like we are a dying breed. 10 -15 years ago I would run across 4 or 5 different hunters in the woods, on any given day, you would see cars and trucks parked along sections of town. Now I am lucky to see maybe one or two older gentlemen walking a wood road. Which is OK by me I have the time off, but for the hunter who has to work M-F and got kids or overtime on the weekends, more days in today's crazy world would be a plus in my opinion.

12-Jul-17
Good to see some hunters in favor of a longer hunting season.

12-Jul-17
I used to hunt CT religiously... I loved hunting that early. I try to fill all 3 of my MA tags each year, and at least 2 NY if possible. My family and I eat at least 3 deer per season, but usually 5 doesn't even cut it. I do not think MA should ever give out extra tags. I get my 2 buck tags and a zone 3 tag most seasons. NY allows me to take at least 2 does with the bow as well for the meat. CT would allow for up to 4 additional deer (although I have never filled all 4 CT tags). I am definitely for the longer season, however, we do not have the issue of unlimited doe tags out on this end, so I don't think it will effect the herd at all out here.

12-Jul-17
September is the second best time of the year to kill a big buck, second to the rut. And even that is debatable, some say its the best time. I am new to September hunting as I only have 2 years under my belt but holy crap have I seen a lot of deer. And very early too. You will see them moving several hours before daylight. Say what you will about tags, regs, etc.... but September hunting is awesome.

I am all for a longer season. The debate about tags, zones, etc. is a separate issue. You can have September hunting and have a very healthy deer population. This has been proven in many other states.

12-Jul-17

primal's Link
Here's an interesting opinion piece on mandatory antler point restrictions that includes some good facts.

IMO if you allow the young bucks to grow a bit, you allow more competition to improve the gene pool. Kill does as needed to control herd size.

I favor longer hunting seasons too.

"antlers make thin soup" one of the article comments

12-Jul-17
Primal the problem with that is we don't have enough does to control. That works down south with 45 dpsm but here in western MA we are talking like 6-12 dpsm.

13-Jul-17
spike78 - i wasn't aware it was that low. my areas seem to be dirty with them. this is an even better argument for better herd management.

13-Jul-17
Spike, I wouldn't even think that there were 6-12 dpsm here in Central and Northern Berkshire County. That is how bad it is!

13-Jul-17
Primal what zone are you hunting? Ungie, during the rut in Becket I was getting like 8-10 different bucks on cam along with the usual herd of 6 does. Course cams and actually seeing them are two different things! Also, in my zone 6 spot with low deer numbers I saw a herd of 7 while turkey hunting along with a few different bucks on cam. Be nice if we had 20 dpsm though!

13-Jul-17
i would have a group of 2 or 3 in each spot... maybe a loan doe here and there... all in zone 2 & 3. I had more buck on cam than does in MA, but to your point, seeing them is a different story. Over the line in NY was 99% does... groups of 6-7... NO bucks.

13-Jul-17
Ungie, with the way you are racking them up every year I thought you had some over run spots in the Berkshires lol

13-Jul-17
Hahaha... I wish... just right place right time... none of my spots have a lot of deer. I just hunt where I get the best pics at a given time! :)

13-Jul-17
I have private land up there to hunt and it has deer. The problem is I find they head back up the mountain off the property in the early morning which makes it tough. During the rut I have gotten pics all day long though. I hunted there two seasons ago and saw deer probably 6 out of 7 times during bear and deer season.

13-Jul-17
some big bucks in those Becket woods!

13-Jul-17

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Here is one Ungie

13-Jul-17

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
And my favorite pic there. I'd cry if I saw this dude walking away.

13-Jul-17

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
This guy. Damn I'm getting pumped.

13-Jul-17
Sweet Jeebus Spike - that last one is a toad. (so is the other). Unrelated, that isnt your house on 202 with the archery target hung in an apple tree in the yard is it?

You nailed it on the C/W ma numbers and management. I'd be for AR's because it would be neat to see how big the normal buck would be after a few years. It would be a bummer for a year or two possibly eating paper due to deer not meeting requirements... but long term, seems interesting.

13-Jul-17

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Two bucks squaring off. First cam pic like this.

13-Jul-17
Will, my house? I live in Hampden now, used to live in Granby if your asking me.

14-Jul-17
Spike - yep... For some reason I thought you were also in Belchertown... Brain cramp :)

14-Jul-17
Will, the crappy part is all my spots are back that way so it's a longer drive. My town is permission only.

14-Jul-17
Hard to believe your town way out in the western part of the state is permission only. I didn't think you guys had to deal with the anti crap as much as we do out on the Eastern side. They love to ruin everything!

17-Jul-17
antis everywhere out here...

17-Jul-17
Joe, my town has no public land and town land is off limits. Any other land is considered private hence why the deer population is pretty high here. Also the town next to us is the same. I gotta knock on some doors one of these days.

17-Jul-17
Damn, the struggle is real everywhere in MA.

17-Jul-17
I just hope the rumor here is true and the do start it early personally

17-Jul-17
Ungie ain't gonna be on our end if they do anyway.

18-Jul-17
I have a better idea how about Instead they open coyote 1 full month before deer so we can really help the deer herds,, has anyone counted the does laying on the side of rt3? I counted 4 and 1 spotted fawn . last month was a big tasty fawn feast for the coyotes they ate many of those future bucks and does that a lot of you will never get to see,, opening the season early should be about fawn bleats and #4 buck shot!

18-Jul-17
I've coyote hunted the last 6 or 7 years and my total kills would not put a dent in the population. I had a ton of fawns in the backyard last year and this year only 1. Not sure why?

19-Jul-17
coyote hunting should be year round. kill them all by any means necessary...

19-Jul-17
Coyote hunting isn't yr round already........? ok

19-Jul-17
why is because the coyotes are the only thing killing fawns,,, maybe a fox will get one here or there but the coyotes they decimate the deer herd and running a mama doe into traffic because she is trying to lead the coyotes away from the fawns is no different....... you know there's a saying that you'll know exactly when you found a coyote den by the smell of shit and all the flea collars on the ground..

20-Jul-17
The bears get them too... gotta take a few more of them out...

20-Jul-17
Taj - Research wise, I've seen numbers suggest bears eat fawns at a rate almost double that of coyotes. Coyotes being a little ahead of bobcats. That's amazing, given the number of coyotes are way beyond the bear numbers (the study I'm thinking of was done in CT I believe, or NY, so not that different from our bear/yote/cat numbers and environment).

I'm not against more opportunity for coyote hunting, the current season sure does not seem to dent the population at all... But, keep in mind that bears can be a beast in terms of fawn mortality.

20-Jul-17
Hmmm. Bears definately eat them and likley play a big role but east of 495 where most of the deer in the State are there sure arent many bears :-)

20-Jul-17
Tons of bears here.. I see more bears than yotes... and I shoot more bears than yotes!

20-Jul-17
Another reason to maybe adjust managment to a smaller scale - IE, make smaller zones in some areas or adjust things within zones slightly...

23-Jul-17
honestly you may be right about Bears,,, where I'm at there aren't any bears anywhere so you could be right I don't know anything about bears,,,,, I do get a kick out of all the bears I see on the news terrorizing these anti-hunter family's that want to live out in nature though,, that's a hard one to think about,, the bears eat the fawns but they also keep anti's & tree huggers out of the woods so they don't mess with our stands I might pass on the bears unless the deer sign was non existent..

24-Jul-17
Taj - hmmm... Maybe the trade off is worth while :) (KIDDING) I saw a thing on the news recently about a family in CA. They slept - lord knows why - with the sliding door open for fresh air. Middle of the night, they hear something, only to discover that a MOUNTAIN LION, had walked into their bedroom, snatched fido the family mutt, and taken off with a midnight snack! Ill take my chances with bears thank you :)

25-Jul-17
Went into the district office today and the early start will not be this year, the head of the office said that a October 1 start will likely be passed for next season

25-Jul-17
Did they confirm that it would just be Eastern MA?

25-Jul-17
I forgot to ask, although he didn't clarify so it may be statewide

25-Jul-17
Wholly cow, that would be really cool.

25-Jul-17
The lady I talked to at Masswildlife said only eastern MA (zones 10-14?). But it sounds to me like none of this is carved in stone.

25-Jul-17
As opposed to the Eleventh Commandment, which is actually carved in stone and reads "Thou shalt not hunt on Sundays." Every day I'm thankful that our great state is looking out for my spiritual wellbeing.

• Sitka Gear