Bloodtrail 16-Nov-17
BCD 16-Nov-17
lame crowndip 17-Nov-17
retro 17-Nov-17
HunterR 17-Nov-17
Bloodtrail 17-Nov-17
06-Jul-17

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
Bill would limit when Wisconsin game wardens can enter private land.

Rep. Adam Jarchow, R-Balsam Lake, and Sen. David Craig, R-Town of Vernon, are introducing bills to require game wardens to have a "reasonable suspicion" that a crime is being committed before they enter private lands.

Currently, under a legal precedent known as the "open fields doctrine," law enforcement may generally enter private land adjacent to public land without a warrant in their investigations.

06-Jul-17
Never even heard of it.

06-Jul-17
Does "adjacent to public land" include road right of ways? ROW is not ownership.

06-Jul-17
Anyone?

06-Jul-17
Just my opinion but wardens should be able to go anywhere, even posted private land at any time but only to enforce game laws. If in the process of looking for game violations they find some other illegal activity they should not be allowed to do anything about it or tell other law enforcement authority anything about it as they had no basis to be there looking for those kinds of violations. However wardens should not be allowed to enter buildings without permission or a warrant.

06-Jul-17
I'm naming my next bear dog warden so he can go where ever he wants. ;)

06-Jul-17
A violation of a statute is a violation of a statute. Law enforcement has a responsibility to report any violation to the appropriate authority. The check on this is the 4th amendment.

I'm always surprised at the latitude that is given to game wardens.

And no...I'm not anti Warden and I completely support them.

06-Jul-17
Years ago I had a warden walk in on me right at prime time. I was not getting along with my neighbor at the time so the neighbor had reported that o was baiting when in deed I was not. The warden stated he had retrieved a 5 gallon bucket of pumpkin from where I was sitting a few nights before our contact. While had baited in the past, I had actually planted 2 acres of turnips, which I pointed out to the warden while explaining what I thought was the case. We then had a nice conversation about the quality of neighbors and how troubling it was that he wasted his time. I actually invited him for a late season hunt to which he killed a doe for me.

What is reasonable suspicion? Does a neighbor draw up reasonable suspicion or is this a wild goose chase? The only people who should be able to enter a property without a warrant are fire fighters for the case of a emergency. Wardens have a lot of power other law enforcement don't have. This should not be the case.

07-Jul-17
What is "reasonable suspicion" : Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard of proof in United States law that is less than probable cause, the legal standard for arrests and warrants, but more than an "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or 'hunch'";[1] it must be based on "specific and articulable facts", "taken together with rational inferences from those facts",[2] and the suspicion must be associated with the specific individual.[3] If police additionally have reasonable suspicion that a person so detained is armed and dangerous, they may "frisk" the person for weapons, but not for contraband like drugs.

So based upon the information provided to the warden about illegal baiting the warden had "cause" to enter private property and investigate the complaint. The belief that "wardens" have MORE power than other LEO's is BUNK - They must adhere to the same legal standards as any officer/deputy in the State. There is NOT some secret code for them to work by.

The marijuana growers and meth heads and conservation violators of Wisconsin would like you dbl lung -

07-Jul-17
Blood Trail you are wasting your time,,,,,,, try to explain a Terry stop, to this crowd and they would change the ruling from the US Supreme Court,,,,, I mean look how screwed Manning got in Milwaukee,,,,,,,,,,

It is a shame there is so little support for our wardens, and most law enforcement in this state

07-Jul-17
razorhead- amen brother.

10-Jul-17
dbl lung, how would the neighbor supposedly have known about the bait? Did he admit to trespassing?

15-Nov-17

Tweed's Link
There was another more robust thread about a similar topic that the Robert Stietz case was referenced.

The link is an update.

http://www.rivernewsonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=6&SubSectionID=47&ArticleID=79143

15-Nov-17
I am with Razor and Bloodtrail on this one. Dbl lung, was that a late gun season where "which he killed a doe for me." Or was it a bow season?

15-Nov-17
Anyone who dosnt want a game warden on their land has a reason plain and simple. I think it speaks volumes that there are many who applaud this. Makes you wonder what goes on doesnt it?

15-Nov-17
Anyone who dosnt want a game warden on their land has a reason plain and simple.

The ignorance continues...

15-Nov-17
Dumbest. Rational. Ever.

So if I don't want the police to willy nilly search my car is it because I'm hiding something? What about walking into my house and searching that, in the name if safety of course.... am I hiding something if I feel that is wrong? If baseless searches are OK, then why aren't people demanding roadside DUI check points, this weekend would be a great time to start, just set up outside any bar in the Northwoods.

15-Nov-17
What would you do if two armed strangers were on your property, not in uniform demanded you drop your gun because they claimed they were LE?

"According to Stietz, he was minding his own business on his own property as the sun fell on the last day of deer season in 2012. Suddenly, he was approached by two armed men wearing blaze orange, whom he says did not clearly identify themselves as the DNR wardens they actually were.

Wardens Joseph Frost and Nick Webster - who were looking for illegal hunting activity after dark and who had entered the property after seeing a vehicle parked in a grassy area on the property - ordered Stietz to surrender his rifle.

Stietz, who had had significant trespass problems on his property, said he thought the wardens were the ones who were illegally hunting. He was out checking his fences and looking for vandalism, which had occurred before.

Now, with the men demanding his rifle, Stietz said he feared for his life. A scuffle followed as one warden and then both attempted to wrestle the rifle from him. After they seized the firearm, Stietz testified that he saw one warden reach for a handgun, prompting him to reach for his handgun. The second warden also drew his.

There was a stand-off - three men with handguns trained on each other, the court states - until one warden managed a radio call and deputies arrived and arrested Stietz."

Stietz is lucky he didn't get shot.

15-Nov-17
I am usually 100 percent on the side of law enforcement. However IF this went down as the landowner says. Then he's not the only one lucky. This could have been a much worse situation.

15-Nov-17
"Anyone who dosnt want a game warden on their land has a reason plain and simple."

Yes I do have a reason. I don't want some fool that doesn't know the property stumbling around. It's not safe for him/her and yes I don't want them pushing deer off the land.

15-Nov-17
Just an FYI, Land Surveyors have the right to trespass...

15-Nov-17
I believe this bill did not get passed. As for my opinion I think LE should have access to private land outside of your personal living space. As for the case with the private land owner I read the court case and it sounds like the wardens identified themselves the landowner claims he didn't hear them. Also they were in uniform with duty belts, it is my opinion that the landowner is at fault.

15-Nov-17
Is it worth jeopardizing human life for a chance to find a game violation?

15-Nov-17
Here is why I take offense to any LEO trespassing on my land to try and fine me while I am 100% obeying the law or in other words assumed to be violating until I prove I am not.

I made tremendous sacrifices to obtain my land. The 80 acres I own is attached to the home I live in. In order to do this, I had to buy a house in poor shape and move a few hundred miles. As is life, timing doesn't always work as we would hope and this endeavor was no different. You have to make things happen when the option presents its self. We sold our previous house before we could move into the "New" house. This meant moving my family 200 miles into temporary housing. I still worked 200 miles away so I needed to commute. On my days that I was home, 3 1/2 days of every 9, I had to clean the left overs of a hoarder enough that I could move my wife and 13 month old twin boys into the house. Then over the course of the next 2 1/2 years; I had to reroof the house, put on new siding, redo electric, plumbing, completely redo a bathroom due to leaking water, new floors, fix foundation, put up all kinds of new drywall, paint every inch of the house, some new windows and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting. This all during my 3 1/2 days out of 9 that I was home from a 400 mile commute. I missed a better part of my kids lives for those 2 1/2 years. My marriage was strained and my mental health was horrible. There was a lot of doubt in those years as to whether or not we made a bad decision in chasing this dream of having a little land. I can easily say it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I eventually got a job near home and things stabilized in life. I am proud of what we accomplished as a family and very protective of it. I take great offense when anyone says they think they should just he able to wander my property "just to make sure" I'm within the law. To me it is extremely disrespectful. We are hard working, law abiding people who busted our behinds for what we have. Being respected as such is not too much to ask.

15-Nov-17
You guys make it sound like our warden force is a bunch of power crazy thugs who do nothing but harass and intimidate innocent people. LOL! Gimme a break! If your not a violator, they will have no interest in you. There are plenty of lawbreakers out there to keep them more than busy. I have no problem with them on my property ever. Ive always been treated well by any warden I've encountered. Not saying that theres never been a bad one, but the above image that some of you try to portray them as is pure B.S.

15-Nov-17
A police officer cannot come into my home while I'm sitting eating dinner with my family to look for violations. Why can a warden drive a mile through my land to look for violations ?

15-Nov-17
Retro, hope you have a big shovel, lots of digging ahead of you! :)

15-Nov-17
The post about the "Game Wardens having more authority is BUNK"....is BUNK. As one who is in the "wild game industry" I can tell you they do have liberal authorities that a LEO does not. For one game laws are open to "interpretation"...they are open ended and ambiguous. They were drafted in that manner purposely. Wisconsin wardens are pretty cool to deal with....go to a place like Illinois and you`re in 1930`s Germany. There is NO REASON to bend over and compromise YOUR rights because of a govt. agency....the TIRED OLD "you should have nothing to hide" is nonsense.

15-Nov-17
Not sure im wasting my time writing this but im sure many read BOWSITE material but never post. Wardens DO have slightly more authority than leo's. Just like a leo, if they are informed of a possible violation and the complainant is willing to give their name action should be taken (should be always but it doesnt happen at times due to high call volume and availability of resources). Because of the nature of a wardens duty, complaints often involve them looking for evidence on property rather than always knocking on doors like leo's. Should a violation be found true, wardens (like leos) must prove reasonable suspicion/ probable cause for their actions leading up to their arrest/fines. Having a named complaintant willing to be go to court (by court order if necessary) is part of RS/PC. unfortunately there are little consequences for those that make unfound or false accusations against others.

15-Nov-17
I've actually had guys try and tell me that "A warden can just walk into your house and check your freezer anytime he/she wants to". Not if I read the constitution correctly. The guys with their chests out seem to be the "Volunteers". Had a couple of contacts with them. One was when I was walking out with my brother-in-law and the warden (volunteer) started checking us while the deputy was still in the car. I started getting chewed out by the guy because I didn't have as much orange on as my brother-in-law who was orange from the top of his head to the tip of his toes. I had an orange hat on and an orange vest. Finally I'd had enough and just calmly said that I was "In violation" start writing because I'm leaving....I DID leave and left him with his jaw ajar and never heard anything further. Think he just wanted to throw his weight around.

15-Nov-17
If a warden can't enter private property, it renders them ineffective. I think theres a big difference between a police officer entering your home and a warden entering private property to check on game law compliance. RJN, are you against checking game law compliance for people on public land? Remember a police officer cant enter the home of a public land hunter while he's having dinner to check for violations, so why should a game warden be able to drive a mile back on public land and check for game law compliance?

15-Nov-17
OK Franklin and Lame Crowndip - let's set the record straight. Again...

First: Conservation Wardens are "Law Enforcement Officers" (LEO). I, as a Deputy Sheriff and Jim Bob the Conservation Warden both have the powers of arrest. We have different job responsibilities and Deputy Sheriff's in Wisconsin are "deputy" wardens. But clearly we are both Law Enforcement Officers (LEO).

Secondly: And because we are LEO - we ALL adhere to the same rules of law. There is no difference!!! Wardens do NOT have any MORE authority than a Deputy Sheriff and visa versa. Both adhere...to the same...rules of law.

Years ago when I first came on as a police officer, State Troopers were "Traffic Officers" and by Statue they had no authority to act outside the scope of "traffic"...

Thank the Lord and Greyhound, those days are long gone and they now...just like Deputy Sheriff's and Conservation Wardens, abide by the same rules of law. Different job responsibilities....

Funny, even today...now less than more, but on occasion... a person calls the Sheriff's Office because they see a State Trooper with someone pulled over off the Interstate! - Old habits die hard for some... "Arnt they only supposed to be on the Interstate?" "There out on Highway 54"....Well ma'am if 54 is in Wisconsin, which it is, were all good... because they are the "State" patrol!

In closing - NO - wardens have no more authority than a Village Cop, a Township Officer or a City Police Officer or a Deputy Sheriff.

15-Nov-17
So for those of you that are touting the if you have nothing to hide line. How would you like it if people started digging into your online life. Your credit, work history, criminal history, etc.. If you have nothing to hide...

15-Nov-17
Bottom line is wardens have a lot power others do not have. If police officers are investigating someone and need to enter a residence they need to be able to put on paper why it’s necessary to enter and then a judges signature is needed to validate the warrant. I can not understand why it is okay for a warden to go off of a neighbors advice of a violation. Such as my case....the pumpkins were obviously dumped on my property and then the warden called. I was able to direct the warden to the neighbors pumpkin patch which told where the pumpkins came from and what happened. I never pursued anything but I have not forgotten about it either. There is a report and case number on file that will be used when I need it.

As for the warden he was doing his job but it still hits a nerve with me. As a person in law enforcement myself, a lot of time could be saved if we had the same power.

Smokey....the warden killed a doe off my property that late bow season. It was on my property so it was one of my does. Does that answer your question???

15-Nov-17
This case is titled - State of Wisconsin vs. Robert Joseph Stietz.

It caused quite a stir on Bowsite and generated a lot of banter about law enforcement and their right to enter posted [private property] under what is commonly referred to the "Open Fields Doctrine" - The bill introduced would limit Conservation Wardens from entering private property under the doctrine - that bill was originally shot down.

I've heard nothing else about it...

State of Wisconsin vs. Robert Joseph Stietz is still an open case. The District Attorney is going ahead and will re-try STIETZ as he is currently out on a 5,000 signature bond. He is restricted from possessing a handgun while on bond.

Should be an interesting trial!!

15-Nov-17
Bloodtrail...not true...when you apply for certain licenses in the "wild game industry" you GIVE UP some of your rights under that license. How is a Game Warden allowed to enter your business if you are a taxidermist and start looking around your shop WITHOUT A WARRANT....WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE. He needs a warrant to enter a freezer but he can ask to see your records and corresponding animals at ANY TIME during business hours. We deal with CITIES...the LACEY ACT...Fed. Migratory Law...State Fur Bearers laws....we know them better than the Game Warden.

15-Nov-17
Rut, Explain to me the effectiveness of wardens if they cant enter private property?

16-Nov-17
"Rut, Explain to me the effectiveness of wardens if they cant enter private property?" They would probably catch a lot more "flies" with honey, than vinegar. So contacting the individual and asking could go a long ways. If there isn't an obvious violation in plain sight, they should not be able to go tramping around peoples land. I really see both sides of this. I understand that a warden needs the element of surprise sometimes. But I also see it from the landowner perspective. For some of us we work hard for what we have. That includes putting little pressure on our land so the deer feel at ease. The season be it gun or bow is something we look forward to all year. The thoughts of that little, undisturbed slice of heaven get some of us through rough times. Then when we want to enjoy it, to have someone stomping around to catch us doing something that most likely we aren't doing anyway. Sorry if I wouldn't welcome them with open arms.

I have never had this happen to me. But I have heard from a few that have. They were innocent of all suspected wrong doings. But that didn't make the ruined hunt any better. Nor did it bring the deer back to the sanctuary areas that the warden stomped through. The neighbors sure appreciated that state sponsored deer drive though. Imagine that it was the same neighbors that called in the "illegal act" my buddy was doing. The neighbors even told the warden where to "catch" him so that the warden would walk through said sanctuary and kick the deer out to these fine citizens. But yeah, wardens should be able to just walk in on any property from someone filing a tip/complaint. NOT!!!

16-Nov-17
Rut, I would like an effective warden force to protect our natural resources in this state. I didnt realize it would be a life changing event if a warden walked on someones land and spooked "their buck". Having a bunch of "spooked bucks" running around the state is indeed a steep price to pay for trying to protect the states natural resources.....

16-Nov-17
"In closing - NO - wardens have no more authority than a Village Cop, a Township Officer or a City Police Officer or a Deputy Sheriff." Never said otherwise-I was a licensed officer in Minnesota from 1972 til 2002. I do know a little about warrants and such. You must have misunderstood that some of the above was a little tongue in cheek...LC

16-Nov-17
Certainly MN laws are different just as IA too. Incredibly different actually.

16-Nov-17
Retro- public land is for anyone to access anytime. Land owners should have the authority to stop anyone from entering their land. If a warden has concrete evidence or at least reasonable suspicion of a violation, then they should be able to enter and do their job. To come into private land for no reason but to look for violations, absolutely not.

16-Nov-17
Retro - EXCELLENT post! I for one would give up the "little piece" of "heaven" to know that the wardens are out doing what WE as taxpayers expect them do! ENFORCE the law.

No "golden goose" for landowners or those who hunt "private property" - What's good for the goose is good for the ganger!! Check everyone you possible can. With a single warden or two wardens in some counties...your chance of being checked is very low...however there's that little voice in your head ..."what if a warden would show up"? Keeping HONEST people HONEST!

Retro says: " I didn't realize it would be a life changing event if a warden walked on someone's land and spooked "their buck". Having a bunch of "spooked bucks" running around the state is indeed a steep price to pay for trying to protect the states natural resources..... "

Thank you Retro - could not have said it better myself!

16-Nov-17
Franklin sez: "I can tell you they do have liberal authorities that a LEO does not. For one game laws are open to "interpretation"...they are open ended and ambiguous."

Your wrong - different job responsibilities - but not MORE authority!! Game laws are no different than any other laws in Wisconsin. ANY law including burglary - Trespass too Dwelling - Obstructing - is "open" to interruption. Just because it's NOT a "game law" does NOT mean it is NOT open to interpretation.

Again, Conservation Wardens are "Law Enforcement Officers" (LEO) - No difference - they just enforce and investigate different crimes and incidents - have the same authority - no more - no less.

That's why we have a Criminal Court System.

What I as a law enforcement officer might feel is a violation of the law due to MY INTERUPTATION may be spot on or different from the Courts. The Court has the final say in interrupting the laws!!

When you "sign" or "apply and granted a WDNR permit" and are granted your taxidermy license Franklin - you are authorizing your place of business to be open to inspection 24/7. You agree to that by your payment of the permit and signature - read the small print! When you authorize or allow someone to do those things - inspection - enter your business place - you voluntarily give up those rights! I, as a Deputy Sheriff by State Statue can perform the same inspection that any Warden can as I am by Statue a "Deputy Warden". Neither me or my fellow LEO - Game Warden have anymore authority than the other.

You don't need "probable cause" or a "search warrant" when people voluntarily give up the rights of "search and seizure" - it's called "Consent to Search". And both you and I do it when we apply for and our granted our respectful permits by the WDNR!

I am a licensed falconer - I hold a license issued to me by the State of Wisconsin. By signing that application and paying my permit fees I am VOLUNTARILY agreeing to allow law enforcement ( and or "their agents")to enter my property and residence to inspect anything that may do with the falconry. I GAVE UP MY RIGHTS and so did you!

16-Nov-17
You guys are trying every way you can to twist this into more than it is. Theres a big difference between a police officer entering your home for no reason and "looking " for violations while your eating dinner. The difference being your home and everything in it, all your possessions, are yours only and nobody elses. Same with someone snooping your private financials online as mentioned above. But guess what? No matter how much land you own, YOU DONT OWN THE GAME ANIMALS ON YOUR PROPERTY!!! They are a public resource. No matter how much money you spend, how much you coddle and nurture "your" buck trying to get him big enough for a chest pounding picture, you have no ownership over him. All the animals on your property are owned by the public. To me , thats why a private landowner should be subject to the same scrutiny as a public land hunter by wildlife officials.

16-Nov-17
Bloodtrail- as an leo, can you legally come into my house and look for violations for no reason? As of now, a warden can go onto private property to look for violations without reasonable suspicion. I would say wardens have more authority than officers in that regard. In my opinion, wardens should have to contact and discuss the issue with the landowner of the property before entering. Now with the use of drones, get their pics and video first, contact the landowner, then enter.

16-Nov-17
RJN,,,, Since you will not listen to BT, I am going to make this real simple for you. Go speak to your local District Attorney office. They will explain ay questions you may have, instead of listening to internet lawyers.....

Bad cases are bad cases, and are not prosecuted and thrown out,,,, Again go explain your concerns to your local district attorney office, and they will be happy to address any concerns,,,,, than you will know for fact

16-Nov-17
Below is the chat I had with Amy from the DNR. It does not seem that when I'd like to see the color of a warrant to search my home I'd be out of line. AND a warrant would be needed to do any search of my home!!! My wife never "voluntarily" gave up any rights but I cannot imagine any reason to have my home searched and I would not take kindly to being bullied by anyone to do so. (I do understand the "open fields" doctrine)

Good evening! My name is amy, how may I help you? Dennis: I was told that the possession of a Wi.hunting license forfeits the rights of persons to be secure in theie homes (search and seizure). Hard to believe.... Amy: Yes, I can certainly see how that is hard to belive. I can assure you that that is not the case when in posession of a hunting license. May I ask where or by whom you were told that? Dennis: Online by a deputy from Eau Claire. His contention is that when you purchase a license you voluntarily give up the right to insist on a warrant to search a home. Amy: Ok. Yes, online sources can sometimes be non credible. Our wardens do not enter homes unless they have proof of probable cause (for example, being forwarded a tip from our violation hotline) but they may only ask questions. The law enforcment aspect is not something I am famliar with enough but if you'd like to know more information I'd be happy to give you a warden's phone number. However, rest assured being in posession of a hunting license does not make you forfeit your rights for security.

16-Nov-17
Well, you first mistake Lame Crowndip is...I am not a "deputy from Eau Claire County". Where you invented that...don't have a clue.

Secondly, I never said nor did I ever imply that: "I was told that the possession of a Wi.hunting license forfeits the rights of persons to be secure in theie homes (search and seizure). Hard to believe"

Yeah Lame it is "hard to believe" because IT CANNOT BE DONE!!! Hello?

Where you came up with that is beyond me, I re-read my post and have no clue how you came up with that. Really?

So NO - NO one gives up the "right" to have their home/business place searched based on a hunting/fishing license. Because you have a hunting or fishing license it permits you to do just that and you surrender nothing other than your license fee.

What I did state and I will again, is that when you receive a "permit" from the WDNR like a "Taxidermy license" "Falconry permit" or other types.

Because I have a "Falconry Permit" I agree to have my place open to inspection by WDNR wardens or their agents.

Now, if you get a "landowner waterway permit"...of course you don't give up any rights. But when animals are confined alive or dead - the government wants inspection rights.

Like I told Franklin ...read the small print... I certainly hopes this clears this up for you!

16-Nov-17
RJN sez: "as an leo, can you legally come into my house and look for violations for no reason? As of now, a warden can go onto private property to look for violations without reasonable suspicion. I would say wardens have more authority than officers in that regard".

No RJN - I cannot enter your house and look for violations for no reason. Correct!

However - I can enter your home if the following conditions are met:

A. Warrant B. Exigent Circumstances C. Consent D. Fleeing Felon E. Community Caretaker Exemption

AND NO - RJN - ANY law enforcement Officer in the State of Wisconsin can enter your property or the property of another under the "Open Fields Doctrine" - NOT just wardens. Sheriff's deputies most often do this in cases of marijuana/drug enforcement.

So NO again - Wardens have no more authority than any other law enforcement officer.

Like ground hunter suggested - Stop at the DA's Office for a Q&A if you don't take my word for it. Let me know how that plays out for ya!

Shoot straight!

16-Nov-17
"To me , thats why a private landowner should be subject to the same scrutiny as a public land hunter by wildlife officials."

WTF? Hillary you have lost your mind!

17-Nov-17
Sorry if I misunderstood the above just like your calling me out on the 15th......Guess I got the wrong county.

17-Nov-17
"Having (LEO) or people wander private property during gun deer season IS NOT SAFE." Do you really think that game wardens are going to wander aimlessly around private property? Good grief!! So your telling me that having game wardens actually out in the field during hunting seasons is a bad idea because its not safe? They wear blaze orange like everyone else dont they? How is it any safer for them on public land ?

Maybe we should just have them out in the field when there arent any hunting seasons. During the hunting season, we should have them all at the state parks raking leaves and shoveling snow.......

17-Nov-17
LOL good thread, and several posts up I learned a couple new big words that I never knew existed.

I also am one who feels private land is private and wardens should have a reason for entering private land they weren't invited on and that reason should be something more than just looking around, or seeing a vehicle parked on the grass....? I don't feel police officers should be able to wander into someone's living room for no reason either.

Anyway good thread, parts of it are better than the funny pages. :-)

17-Nov-17
Yes, HunterR it has been an interesting thread!

And Retro - outstanding post!

Camp2dukes - In reality, although I believe it's a good argument - just because private property holds "natural resources" is NOT the reason a warden or a deputy sheriff can enter your private property.

The courts have ruled long ago that "open fields" or the "back forty" has what is referred to as an "a diminished expectancy to privacy". This has to do directly with what is commonly referred to as "curtilage".

The court has ruled that we/you have a diminished expectancy on the "back forty" and because of this, it is open to law enforcement.

"Curtilage" can be defined as the "immediate" area around one's home, where a reasonable person would expect privacy. Say, like a fenced in back yard, would be a good example. It can be the immediate area around ones home. Inside the curtilage, one would commonly need a warrant by the Court to enter. There are exceptions, but most cases would require a warrant.

Now, there has been some dissention on your driveway and is that "protected"? Reason being are not driveways open to the public? Delivery drivers, postal workers, Jehovah Witness's, candidate's campaigning, girl scouts selling cookies, all use the driveway. So the courts "may" rule slightly different here.

Homes are, as we all know, different and I have explained the examples above as to when a peace officer or how he/she may enter a private residence.

So, there you have it Camp2dukes, the reason law enforcement can inspect/enter private lands. You may like it, you may dislike it....

As far as your argument about "safety" - Retro answered that well.

Lame - Not only did you not get the right County, ya misunderstood my entire post and THEN to add insult to injury....ya contacted the WDNR over your misunderstanding. What the heck were ya thinking man? I apologize if I sound mean - not my intent.

Also, Lame, in Wisconsin there has never been in my adult life "volunteer" wardens in this State. Fact is, this is the first time I ever heard of such a thing. There has been "Special" or "Deputy" Wardens but never a volunteer. "Special" and/or "Deputy" wardens are law enforcement officers, certified by the State as LEO. They have their recruit training/certification and powers of arrests.

Volunteers are just that .... citizen's volunteering and no way our WDNR would ever allow for that - citizens acting as "volunteer wardens"...I cry foul.

• Sitka Gear