Jeff in MN 08-Jul-17
longspeak74 08-Jul-17
Jeff in MN 08-Jul-17
Crusader dad 09-Jul-17
razorhead 09-Jul-17
ScottG 17-Jul-17
Jeff in MN 18-Jul-17
07-Jul-17
For the last 3 years I have been guiding a guy for grouse, in western UP.... He loves it and comes every year, for 7 days, and hunts all the time. He has no time for a dog, and so I guide him, and a pleasant guy and good gun handler........

Knowing I love to bowhunt, he calls me this am, comes over and shows me the pictures,,,, he bought 62 acres in Vernon county, with a amish built school house on it, still in use, this year, 9 years old......

Told me, if you want to bowhunt it, its all yours, he is going to gun hunt it,,,,, So what is that area like? Its is sw of Hillsboro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

07-Jul-17
Great area! I've gun hunted down there SW of Hillsboro.. Vernon will rival any county in the state for big bucks.

07-Jul-17
Depending on what there is on the parcel and neighboring land as far as food, cover, and structure you might have hit the jackpot.

07-Jul-17
A buddy of mine has just about 70 acres there. He and his son take good bucks every year,...gun & bow. His biggest was a B & C non-typical. Great area to bowhunt. He is doing you a real favor. Jump on it!

07-Jul-17
IMO , if the Amish have been hunting it for those nine years it will take some time to build a good age structure. They hunt for meat and not antlers. Since they are sustinence hunting, they kill a lot of deer. They utilize the whole thing though so I can't say anything negative about that. Just the fact that the longer you can keep them off of it the better your trophy potential will become. Congrats on the new spot though!

07-Jul-17
His amish neighbors, have all girls, and they had a chance to buy it, to add on to their farm,,,,, no one has knowingly hunted it, but I am sure someone snuck in... He made a deal with the amish, they can take the hay, and continue some maple syrup on it, but no one can hunt it, legally,,,,,,,,,

It has field, and ponds, and nice valleys, and 34 of it is wooded,,,,, should be nice,,,, its the school house that is cool, it looks just like leopolds shack,,,,,, the land also came with a horse, and another shelter, and the horse he gave, to his amish neighbor for good will

07-Jul-17
My experience in Vernon county is bluff country. I had to think thermals. I used to keep written records of buck sightings and over there by Vernon and Crawford counties I saw more mature bucks than any other counties I hunted. It's worth the drive.

07-Jul-17
I've got a friend in Vernon. Same sightings as everyone else sees in there. Id also say if it was hunted by Amish. Crusader gave you a possible story. If your in search of a trophy. You can bet they're there. Hard to beat good friendship. Good luck over there. Post some pics this fall. That's some beautiful country.

08-Jul-17
I wouldn't assume that just because Amish live around it that they pound the population down. I bow hunted on an Amish farm in Iowa quite a bit one year. Saw lots of deer including some big ones. It was cool to sit in a tree and watch the owner pick his corn. The horses would move the wagon forward (as if on auto pilot) and he did the picking. He was short on shotgun slugs for the gun season so I gave him what I had laying around at home. He did not get a deer that year. This was before you had to buy the doe tag so I told him I would shoot him a doe on the last day if I didn't get a buck, which is exactly what I did. I would have given him most of the meat if I had shot a buck too.

08-Jul-17
I grew up close to there and still have relatives in the area. Good score on the opportunity.

08-Jul-17
Longspeak74, I don't believe I have seen a post from you before. Welcome to the Wisconsin forum.

09-Jul-17
The best thing about the Amish is they are honest folk. They kill a hell of a lot of deer by me but you can trust what they tell you. If they say they haven't hunted it I'd believe them!

09-Jul-17
thanks for all the info, will not be there all fall, but will hunt it,,,, at least I know my ground blind will not get stolen,,,,,,should be fun, it was a nice offer......... Have to make sure he gets on a lot of birds again, ha ha ha...........

17-Jul-17
I have 160 acres near retreat. 1st year haven't hunted it yet, but if the camera pictures are any indication of what hunting is going to be like it's going to a stellar season. However, very tough terrain. They are not hills they are small moutains. Good luck

18-Jul-17
Scent control and really paying attention to the thermals will be key to success in those small mountains. Sounds a lot like some buffalo county land I used to hunt.

• Sitka Gear