MathewsMan 17-Jul-17
MathewsMan 18-Jul-17
BIGHORN 18-Jul-17
Stringflipper 01-Aug-17
Treeline 01-Aug-17
Treeline 01-Aug-17
SAWhunter 02-Aug-17
07-Jul-17
I was lucky enough to draw unit 2 bull elk and would love to talk to any past hunters who have hunted this unit. I am head up there this weekend for a scouting trip. Brandon 970-556-9111

07-Jul-17
good luck! I've got years and years before I'll draw that. Good news, my son will be plenty old enough to accompany by then.

Yoop

07-Jul-17
Fire blazing up near Maybel.

08-Jul-17
Fires are north near Peakaboo Ridge

11-Jul-17
How'd the scouting trip go?

12-Jul-17
Scouting trip was great. Saw 3 bulls and a cow. Have you hunted this unit before?

12-Jul-17
hey crazy are you thinking about paying the trespass fee, my son also got a tag for gmu 2 i'm not sure it would be worth it since there is so much blm, we were in the s.e. corner of the unit by the river and seen about 50 cows in the river and a few spikes

12-Jul-17
I don't know yet....I have been talking with Jimmy but I have not committed. My dad and I hunted on walkers ranch 15 years ago for the price of some elk steak and a Christmas card....so the fees now are hard to justify.

Were you along CR 10/153?

12-Jul-17
ya past the end of cr153, also seen a group of bucks on douglas boulevard no elk though but it was mid day, the smoke was starting to get to me from the fire

12-Jul-17
When I hunted there three years ago Jimmy kept lowering the price as the season got closer. By the week before he offered me $1500 for the whole season. The good thing about Horton's is that you can get access to the Ant Hills and some of the other remote BLM that can be great during the rut. You can also hunt some great waterholes that others can't. But we didn't pay him and killed our bulls on BLM that we accessed from BLM.

You'll have a good time, just don't spread yourself too thin. Learn several spots and figure out how to hunt them. Do a Bowsite Search and you should find some good info from past seasons. Also, get really good at field judging, and know ahead of time what sort of bull you'll shoot. Unless you've seen a lot of big bulls in person, there's not much visual difference between a 325 and a 350.

BTW, between scouting, camming all summer, and hunting, we saw more than 60 different bulls, and only 4 cows. We saw the cows in the summer. None during the season. If you find cows, the bulls will make their way to them when the rut gets started. I understand form others that the rut is a little later over there than in "normal" areas of CO, but the bulls start to get busted up a bit by then. We didn't wait around for the rut to happen.

13-Jul-17
Yep, hunted it last 10 days of last year and came home empty handed. Could've taken under 300" bull but passed. I won't share any intel that I got from Jaquomo or Mathewsman since it's likely been shared with others. One of the GREAT spots 3 years ago had someone driving a flatbed truck down the 'walk in only' area every other day during muzzleloader last year when I was there. One guy with MZ tag had strapped a scabbard to dirtbike because ATV had broken down or something along those lines(2nd hand info).

It was super dry and HOT the first 2 weeks of season with fires around where I stayed which obviously disrupted things a bit before I got there. I can elaborate more but most of it really came down to me more so than anything else(weather, elk, etc...).

17-Jul-17
Mathewsman- do you know of any updates on the peekaboo ridge fire?

17-Jul-17
My Father-in-law was in charge of the aircraft and he went home last week.

The BLM and Hotshots that were camping here in Meeker all pulled out this morning from the other fires, so my guess would be local smaller crews and such are just mopping up hot spots at this point.

We continue to get thunderstorms and more lightning with them than rain.

18-Jul-17
First rain last night here we have had in a long, long time.

18-Jul-17
By the way, my bull that I took at 18 yards measured 349 5/8. There were larger racks but I liked the one that I harvested.

01-Aug-17
went scouting and got a really nice buck on camera 180 gross as he was missing a g2 on the right side was more like a fist on top with two knuckles anybody have a buck tag

01-Aug-17
Saw several very nice bucks last weekend up there. Made me want to trade in my elk tag...

01-Aug-17
Saw lots of elk, too.

02-Aug-17
I have a Deer tag for unit 2 this year any info is welcome. Thanks

• Sitka Gear