Jeff in MN 14-Jul-17
Tomas 15-Jul-17
smokey 15-Jul-17
Jeff in MN 16-Jul-17
smokey 16-Jul-17
Jeff in MN 19-Jul-17
08-Jul-17

Jeff in MN's Link
Fee change being proposed, naturally they mostly mean increases. See the link.

08-Jul-17
I have no problem paying my fair share and if this is what it takes to keep things in good shape and up and running I have no problem with the fee structure. BUT- if the funds are skimmed from and used elsewhere I have a big problem with that!

08-Jul-17
I get the impression that these fees are used to keep the fee areas running. Glad to see that they are even thinking of reopening some that were closed due to lack of funding.

09-Jul-17
The USFS at one time was funded with general revenue from the budget from Washington. Then it was changed so the money generated at the campgrounds and trailheads stayed on the Forest where the fees were collected so the money went directly back to the site.

One problem is the sites see the low level of use so it is hard to keep them running hence an increase in fees is needed. I will gladly pay for this to keep some sites open. Developed sites are good for camping and usually no problem finding a campsite. I also like the dispersed camping on National Forests. More secluded, fewer people around but there is no fee collected there. I sometimes have issues with how well the District manages those funds; sometimes they are poorly organized and make excuses for not getting some things done rather than listen to suggestions. Too much tie in the office staring at a computer screen and not enough time boots on the ground.

09-Jul-17
Mount Valhalla (old Olympic sky jump training camp) just outside of Washburn on HWY C was a beautiful area where Hikers, Hunters, Horse back riders, X Skiers, Snowmobilers, was open to the public for no fee for as long as I can remember, it has a beautiful building that was also open to the public, mostly in the winter for a warming shack. A few years ago the Feds decided to gait it off and charge a Fee.....IT DOESNT GET USED ANYMORE.....So sad.

09-Jul-17
My only interaction has been with the Laona office and in Watersmeet, plus those in the field,,,, I always found the personnel more personable and approachable, than those who work for our state system. I have had field personnel pull out maps and show me spots of my interest, and take the time, to talk......

I know they do not control where there money goes, but they work hard and are doing the best they can do,,,, from what I have seen,,,,, I have never felt like I was bothering them, compared to state employees at times

They need money or they can not open spots,,,, I understand that........

I have one complaint, which I have addressed to the top..... During the deer season, open up the gates, to let hunters get into their land, that they own, so many older hunters, are hampered by that........ Lots of no access areas if you want that, but where there are gates, let the older guys get in there, at least to recover game

09-Jul-17
Razorhead, I hear you on the gates, somewhat. When I was employed with USFS I pushed to allow disabled hunters access behind the gates. I always got the same answer: "We have no way of regulating that". I would say "Yes you do, just accept the State policy for disabled hunters". It would be good to get some unified push at the National level for this change.

I am opposed to opening the gates for all access. I like to be able to walk to get away from the crowds and there is already plenty of accessible land for hunting. Once opened vehicle traffic increases and road damage occurs, besides, there is not enough money to manage all roads to keep them usable. It takes a lot of money to keep the brush back, cut blown down trees and repair washouts.

13-Jul-17
One thing separate from the fee issue. The USFS maintains what is called MVUM which is a system for Motor vehicle use on roads and trails. The map shows which roads are open and closed; Gates. They always take input from anyone regarding those roads, not just certain times. If anyone wants to see the status of a gate changed they can go to the District office and fill out a card giving a reason for the change. No guarantee it will change but they have changed in some cases. I doubt they would open gates just because someone said they want to go hunting along that road since one can walk in beyond the gate but if there are no endangered plants or animals and the road base is solid they might open it.

13-Jul-17
All persons 62 yrs. or older are eligible for a senior pass for a one time fee of $20. This pass allows free access to trail head parking and reduced rates at Federal campgrounds and Parks. I heard that after the increase the cost maybe $80.

13-Jul-17
Currently, the Lifetime Senior Pass is $10, a price that is good until Aug. 27, 2017.

Beginning Aug. 28, 2017, the price will be $20 for an Annual Senior Pass and $80 for a Lifetime Senior Pass.

I bought mine when I turned 62 so I am good. Anyone eligible now should get one before the increase. It's a good deal but you will have to read up on what it covers.

I get free parking at USFS parking lots that charge a fee and 50% off campground fees there. Last week I at Meyers Beach parking area and the sign said parking was 50% off at that site. Not sure why NPS is different.

13-Jul-17
Next time I am in town I am getting one of those senior lifetime passes. Thanks for the tip on that being one of the fee increases.

Also, years ago when they had a big review of road closures they wanted to close one to all but ATV's that my dad and I deer hunted on. We would just sit all day during gun season. He could not walk in, I would drive on the open forest road and park about 30 yards from his ground blind. I argued that there was no bad impact by driving on that road and it was the only way for him to hunt on his favorite ground blind. At the time I did not have an ATV and did not really want to have to get one just to hunt that spot with dad.

They actually decided to keep it open. Turn the clock up to last summer. The area was getting logged and the logger told me that after improving the road for him to get timber out he had to birm the road and make it big. He would loose part of his bond if he did not do it. I complained to the forest office, with Smokeys help. The loggers forestry rep said no deal, he was still supposed to birm it. I argued some more and magic happened and eventually the road did not need to get closed. I better put in one of those suggestions like smokey said so they don't start thinking about closing it again. Even tho dad is no longer with us I still like to go there to hunt for one day during gun season. There are no deer there but that doesn't matter that much to me. I do still bear hunt that area every 8 years or so.

13-Jul-17

smokey's Link
Buy them online at this link or at any National Forest Office. Or any National Park Service Office.

14-Jul-17
Thanks Smokey for the information.

14-Jul-17
I just purchased a senior pass at Rocky Mountain National Park. It was $10 and good for everyone in the vehicle

14-Jul-17

Jeff in MN's Link
Oops, thought I could get this at the ranger station in Hayward but no. Not many places where you can buy them in person in Wisconsin. A list for each state is at the link above.

15-Jul-17
I bought mine at the Park Falls District office which is not listed there.

15-Jul-17
I bought mine at the Hayward Ranger Station. Were they just sold out or what?

I got mine two years ago so maybe something changed.

16-Jul-17
I was just going by the list of locations where they sell them. I'll stop by at the Hayward office anyway just in case.

16-Jul-17
Sometimes policy changes and maybe they are tightening up where the passes are sold. I get irritated when they reduce customer service.

19-Jul-17
Well, I went to the Hayward ranger station today and they still sell the lifetime passes there. I got mine for the senior $10 price. Thanks for the tip Smokey, it saved me a drive to Bayfield, Superior, or Duluth. Always easy to come up with a reason to go to those places anyway but this way the pass purchase is a done deal.

The guy ahead of me was under 62 and disabled and had some paperwork from social security that was required and allowed him to get his lifetime pass for free.

• Sitka Gear