bigbuckbob 10-Jul-17
notme 10-Jul-17
Bigbuckbob 10-Jul-17
Smoothdraw 10-Jul-17
Bigbuckbob 10-Jul-17
notme 10-Jul-17
bigbuckbob 10-Jul-17
09-Jul-17
Hi, I'm newbie and was hoping to go with someone with experience for 1-2 times.. I took the class .. I'm in Danbury, CT area, but willing to travel if mentor in different county .. Thanks

09-Jul-17
It is not an easy journey to become a true hunter. It requires hard work and dedication on your part, and above all understanding of and respect towards the natural laws. The best way to start is to read books on the subject, practice until the bow becomes part of you, find properties to hunt, and ask questions on this forum. You will find your way.

09-Jul-17

09-Jul-17
The hardest part of what Six Lomaz was describing is finding access to private land close to home.

09-Jul-17
An important question you should ask yourself is: Why do you want to hunt? Please share the answer with us so that we can understand how and if we can help you.

09-Jul-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/MN7dzmZY708

Welcome to the site,pay no mind to the baffoonery lots of great knowledgeable guys here..and welcome to one of the most frustrating sports/lifestyle..it will consume you!!!!

09-Jul-17
Have you done any hunting before? If no, my advice would be to start with a gun and small game, then gun for deer, and only after your successful and comfortable with both of those then move on to archery. Bow hunting is the deep end of the pool. I couldn't imagine starting there, mentor or not.

Good luck.

09-Jul-17
I started with archery 32 years ago. It's the only way. Welcome to the archery lifestyle. Gun is way too easy.....I see you like a challenge. Good luck and shoot straight. I don't live near you, otherwise I'd love to help you out.

09-Jul-17
What Toonces says is very true, jumping directly into Bow Hunting, (and even into Firearm hunting for Deer or Turkeys) is likely to mean a long learning curve. That's doubly true if you don't have a mentor. Most of us started with small game, and did it with a firearm.

If you decide to take his advice; you might want to check out an upcoming seminar that the State Hunter Education group is going to offer on Small Game hunting. There will be one at Sessions Woods in Burlington, CT on 9/27 and one in Franklin on 10/1. Watch for sign up information on the CT DEEP website, in the same place they advertise the Hunter Ed classes. (Enrollment will be limited to 25 for each) They will focus on squirrel hunting and are aimed at new hunters, especially those who don't have a friend or mentor to show them the ropes.

There will also be one on Waterfowl Hunting, and they have been offering seminars on Spring Turkey hunting for many years already (those are in March) and also Butchering Deer. We did one on Deer Hunting but it wasn't well attended and we haven't offered it agin, although we may in the future.

Good luck.

09-Jul-17
If you want to start with a bow for deer I say go for it. Get out in the woods as much as you can and look for sign. Plenty of guys will be able to give you advice. Ask questions, we're here

09-Jul-17
I think BigBuckBob just volunteered to be you mentor DeerNut, That is so nice of you Bob! You will to have to drag a deer for him though, but only once every 15 years or so. :-)

09-Jul-17

SixLomaz's Link
Start by reading "The Archer's Bible" by Fred Bear. Then listen to some Ted Nugent hunting songs while practicing with your bow.

10-Jul-17
good luck and welcome aboard ! ask anything here even will ball busters here you will always get some great answers.Steve

10-Jul-17
Ace - I love helping new hunters, but I need to get to know the person first, especially based upon my recent experience.

10-Jul-17
If bbb mentors and my math is right and guessing deernuts only 16,theres a possibility theyll be teaching his kids....lol

10-Jul-17
Hey, now wait a minute. I see lots of deer. If you guys recall the last person I took out not only saw deer but had a shot his first time out with me. I leave the doe and young bucks for those hunters who can't find anything else. :)

10-Jul-17
Are Bigbuckbob and bigbuckbob the same person? Who's the imposter?

10-Jul-17
That's odd. Is it because I answered some on my phone?

10-Jul-17
Only the real bbb would know how many nails a bostich roofing gun shoots per minute...lol

10-Jul-17
notme - remember, I offered to invite guys from the site to the Stanley Black & Decker tool sales we hold a few times a year. These benefit the March of Dimes and there are great prices, and I mean GREAT! These sales are mostly hand tools and limited power tools, so it's first come first serve and some guys show up at 4:30am in the morning ( they must be nuts getting up that early to,......never mind) I'll post the next sale on the site. We hold them at our 600 Myrtle St, New Britain plant and the best part is you'll get to meet me.

We also have a sale in the fall where you can not only purchase hand tools, but power tools as well, and order from the catalog and have it delivered right to your door free of charge! We have the cheapest prices you can find, but they're not as good as the March of Dime sales.

• Sitka Gear