Nonrespropowner 10-Jul-17
Fuzzy 10-Jul-17
Fuzzy 10-Jul-17
Biblethumpncop 10-Jul-17
Fuzzy 11-Jul-17
Fuzzy 11-Oct-17
Fuzzy 08-Mar-18
09-Jul-17
I am finishing up a law enforcement career here in Arizona in about 6 months, and my brother lives in Roanoke. We visited the area last year, and will do the same this fall. He isn't a hunter, so he couldn't provide much information regarding archery or bowhunting. We are thinking of moving to the area and starting a second career.

Question: Is there hunting within about 1 hour of Roanoke? Public lands or do I need a hunting lease? Here in AZ, there are a lot of public hunting lands. Problem is, the deer aren't plentiful. I think you can harvest more than one in VA per year, right?

Thanks in advance!

09-Jul-17
link to Virginia public hunting map/info https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands/

Many areas of Virginia are limited to 6 deer per season, 2 per day, some are "earn a buck" meaning to shoot a 2nd buck you must shoot a doe. Sunday hunting is permitted on private land only.

09-Jul-17
Thanks for the information!

10-Jul-17
Roanoke sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. They may not be high, but they are rugged! Make no mistake, there should be plenty of bowhuntable property nearby, and even within the city limits, but getting permission, I can't answer.

10-Jul-17
there is public land hunting within WALKING distance of the city limits! Good move for a deer/bear hunter.

10-Jul-17
Check out the Lake Moomaw area, Turkeycock Mtn WMA, and Big Survey WMA all within about an hourish..... lots of farmland hunting and big rack bucks in Franklin and Bedford County, lots of National Forest in Giles, Pulaski, Bland, Craig, Botetourt, Alleghaney and Montgomery County... Floyd County has a lot of deer as well. remember that the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed to hunting, but lands that border it have great deer numbers and nice bucks. Black Bear numbers are booming in the Blue Ridge and Piedmont, and turkey are doing well.

10-Jul-17
Awesome to hear! I used to live on Flagstaff, AZ and bow hunt 30 min from my front door. Now I live in the Phoenix area and it is over 2.5 hours away. Needless to say, my frequency of hitting the woods came to a screeching hault.

When we move, part of my hope is to find an area that is close enough where I can go hunting after work.

Your info is very hopeful and inspirational!

Thanks!

11-Jul-17
Oh you will have no problems finding a spot, for an after work hunt, in early bow season.

11-Oct-17
How's it going so far?

08-Mar-18
well? did you move? find any hunting spots?

• Sitka Gear